Poland NSR

Discussion in 'Poland' started by fscat, May 1, 2007.

1. fscat

fscat Member

May 2, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    First off, to the mods, I looked for a Poland NSR thread, but did not find it, please move this there if one exists, I know this isn't a soccer-related question.
    Now for the subject of the question, how are things in Poland since entry into the EU? Is it getting to the point where people don't have to leave the country in order to find work? Thanks for any info that can be provided.

2. johnmatrix

johnmatrix New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Feel free to post any NSR inquiries and such in this thread.

Thanks!

3. Polski

Polski New Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alright guys this is kind of an off the wall request but I think you'll be able to help me out. I need a good name for a club that somehow involves Pittsburgh and a Polish flavor. I've thought of something like Lechia Pittsburgh or even considered somehow doing Legia Pittsburgh but Legion Pittsburgh sounds dumb.

We're starting a subbuteo league and I want to have a good club name to help increase the Polish vibe flowing off my Zurawski and Nowak jersey. Thanks guys :)

4. Smoga

Smoga Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Brooklyn, NYC
    LECHIA Pittsburgh sounds great. Polonia Pittsburgh has a nice ring to it, but there are already too many real Polonias in the US. You can also do something nice and patriotic, such as Pittsburgh Winged Hussars or just Hussars, or something funny, such as Pittsgurgh Patalachy.

Anyway, best of luck with the team. I've heard of subbuteo but never realized what it was, so thanks for the link.

5. Polski

Polski New Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey no problem its a very fun game thats got a cult like following here in the US. Here's a few more links on Rules and the American Association. Also there's a topic in the Games forum that you can find pretty easily if you just search for Subbuteo.

I even did up a little logo but the more I think about it the less I think I want to use it. The Kotwica has an amazing history I think everyone should learn about but I don't know how applying it to a sports team would be taken. Here's my quick Paint job anyhow.

[​IMG]

Hmm do Pictures not work on the Poland board?

6. Polski

Polski New Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've also considered Górnik Pittsburgh because it would certainly fit with the city's history

7. Phenom

Phenom Member+

Apr 9, 2007
    Oregon
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Alright, I've got a question. I'm very interested in the Polish culture (or a particular Polish girl). ;) Please, tell me about your culture. Open and vague question, but just tell me about some of your traditions and such.

8. Gobas

Gobas New Member

May 19, 2006
    Szczecinek
  9. Phenom

Phenom Member+

Apr 9, 2007
    Oregon
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    WOW! That's amazing. The winged warriors are great.

How accepting are Polish people, in general, of people from other cultures?

10. Gobas

Gobas New Member

May 19, 2006
    Szczecinek
    Hmm in Poland many peapole are very conservative, but i cant tell you anything about Polish minority in US

11. Phenom

Phenom Member+

Apr 9, 2007
    Oregon
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Yeah. The girl was actually born here but her mom is a Polish immigrant. The girl I don't think cares about cultures and stuff, but her mother might. We go to the same church, though, so that should get me some points. ;)

12. Smoga

Smoga Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Brooklyn, NYC
    Like anywhere else, it depends. Many older Polish-Americans are not well educated and generally keep themselves within their community and thus often racist or at least race-conscious. The younger ones, well educated and more integrated into American society are generally open minded.

13. elciclon

elciclon New Member

Mar 12, 2005
    BOEDO
    Club:
    CA San Lorenzo de Almagro
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    ive got a pretty ignorant question. and pardon me for it. but i am going on a trip to poland/england. and will be there for four days i am going with an association that does trips for college jews. so we will head to three gettos. warsaw, krakow (forgot other one). anyways back to the question today in orientation we were told that some people in both countries (mainly poland though) are highly racist. and since i am traveling with two rabbi's we will get scream or certain things said towards us. can anyone give a counter argument towards this. ( i believe that he was exaggerating i just want to see towards what degree). or simply tell me how far this goes.

14. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I always say "what happened in the past happened in the past". It's not my fault and it's not the Poles fault.
    I was working at a clinic and a Jewish woman starting blabbing how the poles don't care and it's their fault, I told her if she wants to live in the past she can. She even told me Jews shouldn'r buy BMW's and Mercedez-Benz. now tell me who the "racist" and ignorant person is:cool:

15. elciclon

elciclon New Member

Mar 12, 2005
    BOEDO
    Club:
    CA San Lorenzo de Almagro
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    oh ignorance is part of humanity and every culture has it. however my question came about as i thought that it was an exaggeration the talk of so much racism in an European country. but since i will be with a group of other jewish people and three rabbi's i thought id get a second opinion about it,

16. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well the thing is , i never met jewish people in poland. the only one's i met were in NY, so i guess it's like with every culture...can't judge one person's action. I know that some Rabbi's came over to Poland and their was a big controversy at Auschwitz because they wanted to take down the Papel cross and put up a Star of David..but that's religion for ya;)

17. Smoga

Smoga Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Brooklyn, NYC
    Having lived in many places, I can safely say that there are places in the USA (such as parts of Texas), where there is much more anti-semitism than in Poland. But the thing is, if you want to see racism/anti semitism/etc., you will see it. For instance, about five years ago I read an article in a local NY paper about an American rock group which members consisted entirely of Jewish-Americans, that toured Poland. There, at some country fair, they saw some kind of wooden figurines of a hassidic Jew, where if you pulled the stick the figurine would move its hands and feet like a jumping jack. For many this would be an innocent toy, but for these people it was an outrageous example of Polish anti-semitism. It made them so upset they even wrote a song about it.

This is not to say that there isn't real anti-semitism or racism in Poland...there is, for sure, but, as I've said before, there are many places where it is worse.

18. BMike86

BMike86 Member

Jun 26, 2005
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hey question for you guys it is my birthday today and i am 21 here in america and can now legally start buying any alcohol i want, any advice on good Polish hard liquor to get, any bad Polish hard liqour to stay away from?

19. Gobas

Gobas New Member

May 19, 2006
    Szczecinek
    I recommend Żubrówka with apple juice <mniam>

Tylko bełtów tanich nie pij ;)

Edit: 21 beautiful age ahhh when I had my 21 birthday I was in Army :( ( First month in army so that was hardcore birthday)

20. BMike86

BMike86 Member

Jun 26, 2005
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'm going back home to Chicago either next weekend or the following weekend... does anyone know a place in Chicago or the suburbs where I can buy Żubrówka??? much appreciated

21. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

you probably can buy Zubrowka in any liquor store in Chicago

22. BMike86

BMike86 Member

Jun 26, 2005
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that is what i am hoping for, so when i go back home in a weekend or two i hope to find it... because my university is out in Des Moines, Iowa and well all the liquor stores out here do not carry it. there is one place out here in the greater Des Moines area that imports anything Polish and all they have is Belvedere and Chopin

23. PoznaniakPS

PoznaniakPS New Member

Aug 27, 2007
    haha

I notice you from Szczenik. I was there not too long ago...There is a city nearby called "Barwice" right? Lol ale wiocha (no offense of course)

Siemanko foromowici!

24. Gobas

Gobas New Member

May 19, 2006
    Szczecinek
    Ale co wiocha Szczecinek czy Barwice? A z resztą to i to ja Szczecinek nazywam Smętowem pozdrawiam Poznań

25. PoznaniakPS

PoznaniakPS New Member

Aug 27, 2007
    Barwice.

Szczecinek to takie fajne miasteczko. Podobalo mi sie tam.

Dzieki. Ale ja w Poznaniu teraz nie mieszkam (akurat bylem latem na wakacjach). :eek:

Mieszkam w Stanach.