PNC Stadium

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, Nov 5, 2021.

1. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
  2. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I found this part interesting because I had always assumed these loss leaders were directly out of the organization's pocket.

"PNC also collaborated with the Dynamo to host one final edition of the popular 713 Night series during the Oct. 31, match, giving fans one more opportunity to secure $7 tickets and enjoy $1 hot dogs and $3 beers throughout the match."

Apparently not as it seems they get a sponsor to cover the cost or loss.

Westside Cosmo repped this.
  3. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    Have you seen the size of the beer cups, hot dogs and buns? Believe me, they aren't losing any money on those...:rolleyes:

CeltTexan repped this.
  4. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    BBVA merged into PNC. so it's like Reliant is NRG, same diff.

some writer on MLS mentioned PNC in passing a few weeks back. i was like, PNC? looked it up, oh, that's us. i assumed i was late to the party and missed something when i mentally shut down on this season. early to the party looks the same as late to the party at large enough timescale.

i still wish there was some basic place name before they tacked on the sponsor. the taxpayers and HD paid for this, not PNC. would they want less sponsor $ for it to be the PNC Dynamostadion? if "wanda's" check bounces it's still the "metropolitano" in madrid.

5. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #6 CeltTexan, Apr 14, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2022
    "The Houston Texans are proud to partner with TSU to support the university's student athletes, coaches and staff," Houston Texans Chair and Chief Executive Officer Cal McNair said. "It is our hope that this partnership will enrich the next generation's love of the game of football while providing unique opportunities to our community's future leaders."

The partnership will focus on three core initiatives including improving athletic facilities, funding scholarship opportunities for female student athletes, and student, faculty and staff engagement. Over the next two years, the Texans will:

• Donate the team's artificial playing surface from NRG Stadium
    • Support football field house improvements that will assist with recruiting top-tier student athletes to TSU
    • Award scholarships to five female student athletes each year
    • Create opportunities and programming that will provide access to professional development, internships and mentoring for TSU students, faculty, staff and athletics leadership
    Since that article did not disclose what TSU athletics will do with a 120 yards of used FieldTurf every few years when our city's Texans purchase a new patch, perhaps TSU gridiron will just practice on said donated Field Turf. Yet if that is the case, then practicing on Field Turf to then play home games on real grass down at PNC seems odd as a coach would have it. With this join venture, perhaps moving forward, TSU gridrion can play their home games over at NRG Stadium on turf and leave our PNC grass field to be grown and better cared for in the Fall. The early of the gridiron season home games in the South can be day games that are brutal under the Sun even up to October as all of us Dynamo fans know. TSU normally does not pull to many fans to their home games save the big rival dates. With NRG being climate controlled, i.e. A/C, TSU should leverage this joint venture and play their home games at NRG if the Texans are so inclined to eat the overhead costs of game day operations for staff, security and operations. If anything, the Texans FO might be very wise to suffer some financial burden at some level to endear themselves to our Houston sports community after the complete buffoonery trades and way of treating players that are so loved by so many that follow gridiron in our city. Our culture's #1 sport by a country mile. It's like the Texans need damage control on some front with all the fans.

6. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    i took the "next generation" turn of phrase to be suggesting that Texans/NRG would seek TSU's full business later on, indeed.

do we make any/much from TSU?

7. quiznatodd_bidness

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Apr 14, 2020
    I agree you should practice where you play as close as you can, including what you play on. Considering though the lower margins at the level TSU plays at I think just about getting what you can and being smart with your resources.

8. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For sure.
    There is also this tremendous ground swell of support for HBCU schools and their advancement on the athletic front, to compete in recruiting better and upgrading their level. Which telling recruits your will be able to practice on the finest Field Turf there is and come Saturdays you will be able to play at climate controlled NRG Stadium over baking in the PNC heat is a huge sales pitch to a kid!

quiznatodd_bidness repped this.
  9. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be willing to bet that TSU games are a loss to both TSU and PNC stadium,
    they paid $1.5 million for a 30 year lease.

10. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    suggestion NRG replaces their turf every 1-2 years. remember NRG got in trouble/sued over the grass pallet field "seams" so i am sure they err on the side of spending too much now.

suggestion Texans had/have(?) a racism problem at the ownership level, eg, "inmates," "china flu," "kneelers," treatment of the most recent black player core to the team. now has a white pocket QB. maybe feels the need to work on their image.

https://tsusports.com/facilities/alexander-durley-stadium/3
    https://tsusports.com/news/2018/8/8/tsu-football-takes-the-practice-field-in-full-pads.aspx

from my HS experience as a grass team that sometimes had to play on turf and hadn't played on it in club since like U12 indoors, fair point, but TSU in fact practices on turf. sounds like high volume use shared with women's soccer as well as probably some track/cross country workouts/warmups/meet use. whether it is wise aside, TSU ain't rich.

my guess is NRG was ready to cycle to a new rug, there's enough life in the old one to donate it, and they factored in their PR issues into who specifically. based on 30 years they would be 1/3 into a friendly lease so that's doubtful until a literal generation (*20 years.") unless the texans buy them out early.

11. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Ethos and quiznatodd_bidness repped this.
  12. Ethos

Ethos Member+

Houston Dynamo
    Apr 28, 2019
    Houston
  13. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Ethos repped this.
  14. Ethos

Ethos Member+

Houston Dynamo
    Apr 28, 2019
    Houston
    Finally got it to work. It's either delayed or it takes multiple presses of the submit button to work.

15. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Don't like any of them. Don't understand the color splash approach in the lower bowl. Just go all orange with the "HOUSTON" in a different color.

16. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't like any of the options. Doesn't seem smart to put black seats into a Houston outdoor stadium.

17. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why no SPACE CITY option?

18. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    *rey* and Ethos repped this.
  19. Ethos

Ethos Member+

Houston Dynamo
    Apr 28, 2019
    Houston
    And we are getting cupholders!! Seriously, who was the asshole in 2012 that was all like "naw, they don't need cupholders." Where was Juve working in 2012?

20. quiznatodd_bidness

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Apr 14, 2020
    DonJuego, CeltTexan and *rey* repped this.
  21. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dear FO planners, please take that grey color seat concept and dedicate an "away" section for rival fans when they want to visit PNC. Like what has been in place around our planet for this sport where stadiums have an away section in place for generations.

22. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    F'n A! Get some black seats for daytime summer games!!!!

23. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    i mean seriously

maybe they could put in some old school fast food heat lamps since this is already older and less fresh than it appears

24. nate19

nate19 Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Unsure if this relates to the previously announced club and seat revamp, but a general contractor has filed permit applications on behalf of the Dynamo/Dash for an $8 million PNC Stadium renovation. As well as the club sections, it covers work on concourses, bathrooms, sponsorship zones, and concession areas.

Attached Files:

DonJuego and CeltTexan repped this.