Plenty of cricket on ESPN3 in the next 2 months

Discussion in 'Cricket' started by Bariaga, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Bariaga

Bariaga Member

Jul 9, 2008
    One of the factors for cricket not being popular in this country is lack of exposure on cable TV. While pay-per-view and subscription-based specialty channels are enough to keep the hardcore fans in the game, it does nothing for growing the game (significantly). So I was ecstatic to learn that ESPN bought the rights to many events for the next 4 years. Unfortunately, they'll likely put most of the games on ESPN3, but it's available for free to those with compatible service carriers. It's better than pay TV, and it's a start. For those not willing to help the PPV companies keep the sport hidden or unable to switch to satellite it beats constantly searching for alternative links full of pop-ups, adwares, and low quality streams.

Here's the broadcast schedule for cricket on ESPN3:

ICC U-19 World Cup

8/10 -- 7:30 PM EDT -- Australia vs. England

8/11 -- 7:30 PM EDT -- West Indies vs. India

8/12 -- 7:15 PM EDT -- Australia vs. Nepal

8/13 -- 7:30 PM EDT -- India vs. Zimbabwe

8/15 -- 7:30 PM EDT -- England vs. Nepal

8/18 -- 7:30 PM EDT -- Quarterfinals

8/19 -- 7:30 PM EDT -- Quarterfinals

8/20 -- 7:30 PM EDT -- Semifinals

8/22 -- 7:30 PM EDT -- Semifinals

8/25 -- 7:30 PM EDT -- Final

Sri Lanka Premier League

8/11 -- 6:25 AM EDT -- Nagenahira Nagas vs. Ruhuna Rhinos
    8/11 -- 10:25 AM EDT -- Basnahira Bears vs. Kandurata Kites

8/12 -- 6:25 AM EDT -- Uthura Oryxes vs. Wayamba Wolves
    8/12 -- 10:25 AM EDT -- Uva Unicorns vs. Basnahira Bears

8/13 -- 10:25 AM EDT -- Kandurata Kites vs. Nagenahira Nagas

8/14 -- 10:25 AM EDT -- Ruhuna Rhinos vs. Uthura Oryxes

8/17 -- 6:25 AM EDT -- Wayamba Wolves vs. Uva Unicorns
    8/17 -- 10:25 AM EDT -- Basnahira Bears vs. Nagenahira Nagas

8/18 -- 6:25 AM EDT -- Kandurata Kites vs. Uthura Oryxes

8/19 -- 6:25 AM EDT -- Wayamba Wolves vs. Basnahira Bears
    8/19 -- 10:25 AM EDT -- Uthura Oryxes vs. Uva Unicorns

8/20 -- 6:25 AM EDT -- Kandurata Kites vs. Ruhuna Rhinos
    8/20 -- 10:25 AM EDT -- Nagenahira Nagas vs. Wayamba Wolves

8/21 -- 6:25 AM EDT -- Ruhuna Rhinos vs. Uva Unicorns
    8/21 -- 10:25 AM EDT -- Uthura Oryxes vs. Basnahira Bears

8/24 -- 10:25 AM EDT -- Wayamba Wolves vs. Kandurata Kites

8/25 -- 6:25 AM EDT -- Basnahira Bears vs. Ruhuna Rhinos
    8/25 -- 10:25 AM EDT -- Kandurata Kites vs. Uva Unicorns

8/26 -- 4:25 AM EDT -- Nagenahira Nagas vs. Uthura Oryxes
    8/26 -- 10:25 AM EDT -- Ruhuna Rhinos vs. Wayamba Wolves

8/27 -- 10:25 AM EDT -- Uva Unicorns vs. Nagenahira Nagas

8/28 -- 10:25 AM EDT -- First Semifinal

8/29 -- 10:25 AM EDT -- Second Semifinal

8/31 -- 10:25 AM EDT -- Final

ICC World Twenty20

9/18 -- 9:45 AM EDT -- Sri Lanka vs. Zimbabwe

9/19 -- 5:45 AM EDT -- Australia vs. Ireland
    9/19 -- 9:45 AM EDT -- India vs. Afghanistan

9/20 -- 9:45 AM EDT -- South Africa vs. Zimbabwe

9/21 -- 5:45 AM EDT -- New Zealand vs. Bangladesh
    9/21 -- 9:45 AM EDT -- England vs. Afghanistan

9/22 -- 5:45 AM EDT -- Sri Lanka vs. South Africa
    9/22 -- 9:45 AM EDT -- Australia vs. West Indies

9/23 -- 5:45 AM EDT -- Pakistan vs. New Zealand
    9/23 -- 9:45 AM EDT -- England vs. India

9/24 -- 9:45 AM EDT -- West Indies vs. Ireland

9/25 -- 9:45 AM EDT -- Pakistan vs. Bangladesh

9/27 -- 5:45 AM EDT -- Second Group Stage TBD
    9/27 -- 9:45 AM EDT -- Second Group Stage TBD

9/28 -- 5:45 AM EDT -- Second Group Stage TBD
    9/28 -- 9:45 AM EDT -- Second Group Stage TBD

9/29 -- 5:45 AM EDT -- Second Group Stage TBD
    9/29 -- 9:45 AM EDT -- Second Group Stage TBD

9/30 -- 5:45 AM EDT -- Second Group Stage TBD
    9/30 -- 9:45 AM EDT -- Second Group Stage TBD

Their October listing is empty but I'm sure every game from this event will be on ESPN3.

ESPN's website has a contest called StreakForTheCash where they feature variety of sports every day, and people predict the outcome of those games to win prizes. It's so addictive for some they are willing to watch any sport including Serie B or French league 2 soccer, when they're invested in the outcome and if someone provides them a link streaming those games. I'm hoping cricket will be included there regularly now that ESPN has an incentive. Cricket was there a few times over the last 2 years and I've seen many people intrigued by it. They constantly asked for rules and explanations of plays as the game went on. There will always be some haters needlessly bashing the sport as they do against soccer but overall it will help the viewership at least a little and get the sport moving. I request you guys to ask for cricket props in the comment boards there if you have the chance, even if you don't plan to participate in that contest.

2. Bariaga

Bariaga Member

Jul 9, 2008
    I was pleasantly surprised with the streaming quality on ESPN3. Hooked up the laptop to my HDTV with an HDMI cable, the picture looks near HD most of the time. While I hoped for more games on the actual TV channels, I'll take this over pay-per-view any day.

The final game will be on ESPN2 this Sunday at 1 PM eastern (on a 3.5-hour delay). I think the delay has to do with making it available on a time-slot where more curious Americans can watch it. India, the team with by far the largest fanbase in the US, being eliminated will not help the ratings. But then again they would probably catch it live on ESPN3 anyway. The network has been pushing cricket on their website with regular news, articles, and links to highlights on the front page. They've also added cricket scores at the top, alongside other sports (I'm sure it will be gone after the World Twenty20 but baby steps..) and on BottomLine ticker on ESPN/2.

I'm looking forward to reminiscing the moments of my first ever cricket game on a cable TV channel decades from now, and talk on forums about a time when even the final game of a World T20 was not shown live on cable TV, the same way some soccer fans remember (not so fondly) about having to get their soccer fills from 'Soccer Made in Germany'.

3. Bariaga

Bariaga Member

Jul 9, 2008
    An update: The WatchESPN site now says the final game will be on both ESPN2 and ESPN3 live at 9 AM. It will be replayed on ESPN2 4 hours later.

4. Bariaga

Bariaga Member

Jul 9, 2008
    I wonder what happened there (ESPN2 didn't show it live). Last night, I kept a screenshot of their TV schedule from WatchESPN which showed both ESPN2 and ESPN3 at 9 AM (and again at 1 PM).

http://img278.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=629194408_Cricketonespn2_122_420lo.jpg

I've also filtered the schedule search result to ESPN2 only and it still showed two back-to-back telecasts.

Then, during the broadcast they've edited out the very first wicket and 5 balls (plus cut few more overs including a wicket in the middle of the first inning). That probably didn't help any curious American trying to get an understanding of the sport (they probably had no idea the numbers didn't make sense because ESPN edited out some parts of the game). I know the network tried to fit the game to a 3-hour window but surely they could have cut some of the long interviews of many players from the 35 minute long post-game show instead.

I also wish they showed the hawk-eye trajectory of one of the LBW outs which would've explained the out to those Americans. More replays of some of the notable plays in general (possibly from different angles) also would have been more useful than repeatedly showing the faces of players standing around or switching field during the over break.

The unusually slow beginning of the game itself didn't help either. How often do you see a test team with a run rate of under 3.00 after 8 overs in a T20 game (I don't think I have in 5 years)? Oh well .. congratulations to the West Indies!

5. Bariaga

Bariaga Member

Jul 9, 2008
    ESPN3 Schedule for Champions League T20 (all time Eastern)

[​IMG]

Click on image to view.