Please Welcome The New California Governor [R]

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Topper, Oct 8, 2003.

1. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    People like Bill O'Reilly think anybody who doesn't agree with everything they have to say is liberal.

2. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    Me?? Pathetic?

What does it say about the Democratic Party in California that they can LOSE -- and lose pretty big I might add -- to this guy?

"Pathetic" doesn't even being to describe THEM!!

3. Parmigiano

Parmigiano Member

Jun 20, 2003
    What I'm really saying is backed up with logic and facts, unlike your overheated vacuity.

Logic: People who travel to different countries are exposed to different cultures, languages and the facts of geography.

Fact: Americans are among the world's least traveled people and worst-educated on geography.

Here's a survey from National Geographic, whose findings by your logic must be f-cking insane!:

http://geosurvey.nationalgeographic.com/geosurvey/highlights.html

The main findings:

-- Americans ages 18 to 24 came in next to last among nine countries in the National Geographic-Roper 2002 Global Geographic Literacy Survey, which quizzed more than 3,000 young adults in Canada, France, Germany, Great Britain, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Sweden, and the United States. Top scorers were young adults in Sweden, Germany, and Italy.

-- Among young Americans’ startling knowledge gaps, the study found that

• nearly 30 percent of those surveyed could not find the Pacific Ocean, the world’s largest body of water;
    • more than half—56 percent—were unable to locate India, home to 17 percent of people on Earth; and
    • only 19 percent could name four countries that officially acknowledge having nuclear weapons.
    Several perhaps interrelated factors affected performance—educational experience (including taking a geography course), international travel and language skills, a varied diet of news sources.

4. Parmigiano

Parmigiano Member

Jun 20, 2003
    Your being pathetic wasn't my main point. But I guess you changed that.

You can try to change it back if you have the guts to take on my main charge, tho that was already admirably supported earlier in this thread by a conservative with integrity.

5. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It says that their "New Democrat" shift has left them with no real constituency; that they are only significant as an alternative to the Republicans when they've botched up, but cannot sustain a position or campaign on their own, because all they have become is "Republican lite..."

The national contest will reflect this exact thing unless and until the Democrats make meaningful concessions to the "left," and thus, allow Nader's ilk to endorse them with a good conscience...otherwise, its Dubya Dubya Two, and Ah-nuld handing over the nine billion due the average Californian back to the energy companies, as he'll be directed to do by Karl Rove, I mean by the Antichrist...

6. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I think the more disturbing aspect of this Recall Election was it showed how badly the majority of Californians who voted thought of the mainstream political establishment. To elect an actor with no civic or politcal experience to be Govenor speaks volumes about how unhappy they are. And on top of that, it was a pretty large turnout.

7. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Please Welcome The New California Governor [R]

Oh, biting slander! To paraphrase Howard Dean, nobody on here deserves to be compared to Karl Keller.

Seriously, my political views are actually pretty close to Arnold's, if I understand his position right. Who knows, however, as this election had almost nothing to do with platform. I'm really quite socially liberal and fiscally conservative (meaning - no debt, balanced budget, no pork, all good things).

8. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're right behind those Bhutanese international jetsetters aren't we :D

9. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Guys, (and ladies): I am fond of humour and political satire. I appreciate if it is well done, even if the views lampooned are my own.

But to take a normal person, (a person we may dislike, or a person we may dissagree with, or even a person that we think is flawed), to take any such person and compare them to the greatest monster in modern history is distasteful. It really devalues the unspeakable evil of Hitler whenever we grace his memory by comparing him to a mere normal person. Is it too much to ask to leave Hitler out of it now that the election is over?

If you must put Arnold down, talk about the many breasts and asses he may have fondled. Talk about his bad movies, or whatever. Talk about how you think he will fail and bring the republicans down and bring America down and bring the world down. Be funny, or be bitter, or make a good argument, and maybe I will answer you in kind.

But I ask those of you who are mature enough to understand my reasons to join me in keeping the other Austrian out of this debate. I will not say anything more on the subject of Hitler.

10. Parmigiano

Parmigiano Member

Jun 20, 2003
    LOL. I should have said "developed world's" -- tho that study also included Mexico....

11. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Lighten up Francis.

12. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Please Welcome The New California Governor [R]

I don't like Howard Dean's views, and I don't see him as a serious challenger, but I have to admire his wit. His comparing Gray Davis to George W. Bush last night was a very clever sound byte, and it was not entirely innapropiate. Bush and his allies in congress have better begin to cut federal spending if they hope to see him get reelected.

13. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Francis?

14. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Yes. It is. Go ahead and think less of me. I don't remember the Groping Gauleiter asking what I thought on the subject.

15. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    And any of you *#*#*#*#*# out there try to touch me, I'll kill ya

And anyone calls me Francis, I'll kill ya

16. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Your logic is incredibly idiotic, even by Bigsoccer standards. We stink at geography for the same reason we stink at mathematics, science and a whole host of other subjects.

Americans travel more than just about any people. We just happen to be a MASSIVELY HUGE country. Americans who live near Canada and Mexico, and visit, are hardly more knowledgeable about geography than other Americans.

17. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    I think that we owe a big round of applause to our newest bestest buddy and big toe Sergeant Hulka.

18. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    interesting, they censor out the word "homo"

it's not a disparaging epithet like "faggot"

now if Loney could kindly translate 'gauleiter' for us....

19. christopher d

christopher d New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Weehawken, NJ
    Do. If he decides to close tax loopholes and shelters instead of kindergartens, and changes his stance on homosexuals and abortion, and I demonize him because he's a Republican, throw it right back at me. And then put me out of my misery, as I'd have become a Democrat.

20. John Galt

John Galt Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Atlanta
    On an unrelated note, those two of you who claim to be socially liberal, but more interested in fiscal policies that help small businesses should wander on over to the John Edwards for President website, check out his policies, especially his economic policies, and make a donation.

21. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    It isn't?

22. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    Not if you buy ho[\i]mo milk

lighten up, Francis

23. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For a little perspective - lest we forget; this man is not the Great White Hope of California politics. He's Arnold Schwarzenegger.

24. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    It's homogenized, Einstein.

25. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Re: Re: Please Welcome The New California Governor [R]

Foosinho, are you a small business owner? Every small business owner should check this website which tells you how legislators voted on the most important issues to small business. It does not mention party affiliation, but it highlights those who have been friends of small business. You may be surprised to know that they are mostly republicans.

This is at the federal level:

www.nfib.com/PDFs/votingrecords/HCV107.pdf

It gets even worse for small business with the democrats in Sacramento:

www.nfib.com/PDFs/states/ca/CAvotingrecord2002.pdf

As I said before, the methodology is that they send a ballot to small business owners across America (or accross California if it is a state issue) on all issues relevant to small business. If there is a consensus of over 70 percent in favor or against the measure they make it an issue.

Then they compare the position of the majority of small business owners to how our legislators voted on that issue. A legislator with over 70 percent record of voting with small business gets honorable mention. Because the NFIB is non partisan, they do not mention the party affiliation of the legislators, but it is painfully obvious looking at the results which is the party that defends the rights of the small business owner.