Please VOTE: Japanese Forum Restructuring Proposal

Discussion in 'Japan' started by shuvy87, Feb 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Should we restructure the Japan Forum?

Poll closed Mar 29, 2011.
  1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. shuvy87

shuvy87 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Due to the ever increasing popularity of the Japan Forum, we are currently seeking to restructuring the Japan forum in the following matter.

- Japan Forum
    this will be mother forum for any topic including NSR topics

-- Japanese Abroad sub-forum
    -- Japanese MNT, WNT, Youth NT sub-forum
    -- Japanese Club Football sub-forum

Pros:
    Better organization
    Less traffic on each sub-forums, specially during the NT game days (main reason)
    Too many abroad players

Cons:
    More Forums to visit in daily basis.
    More work for the mods.

Please give us your opinion.
    Make sure you post your onions.

2. dokool

dokool Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 11, 2006
    Tokyo, Japan
    Club:
    FC Tokyo
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I feel like there would be almost nothing in the main forum if there were to be a subforum for all NT-related things. I'd rather keep MNT in the main forum and put "minor" NTs (women, youth, etc) in a subforum.

Also how many NSR topics do we have, anyway? Would there be more if we had an NSR subforum, or are Japan forum-goers just not as interested in NSR threads as, for example, the Korea forum? I do wish there was a place for us to talk about non-soccer stuff without feeling like it was getting in the way of soccer-related threads.

3. furtho

furtho Member

Nov 19, 2004
    I don't really see the need for two forums, never mind three.

4. shuvy87

shuvy87 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    To answer your question, we are even thinking of closing the main forum.

The main problem for us is that we have too many abroad players. We need to keep making new threads every 500 post and I believe the best solution is to have individual abroad players threads for some of the popular players like Kagawa, Nagatomo, etc. In the current structure we are also making individual threads for all the MNT games. These two makes the main forum heavy and hard to search old threads.

5. Hermes

Hermes Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Kobe
    Club:
    Vissel Kobe
    no. keep it as two. ut keep threads related to japanese abroad to the main forum.

J league transfers should stay put though of course.

to be honest though I could really care, works well as is

6. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    As I imagine you all have a bookmarks' bar in your browser, you just need three little buttons and everything will look much neater.

Also, we might perhaps all make some effort to stay more on topic, beginning with... eeerrr... ME! :)

I definitely vote for secession!!

7. hallelujah_united

Oct 21, 2006
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    Maybe a new subforum for the players abroad. The main forum does serve as a platform for the NTs already though I think, so that can be left just as it is.

8. uhdfkwncvbgtyhu89

Nov 27, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    This "config" looks pretty nice. IMO, this will keep the Japan Forum more clean, useful and organized.

9. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    I hated the last round of changes and I hate these even more.
    There's just no compelling reason to keep messing with the format.

10. shuvy87

shuvy87 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Can you give me the reasons. It will help us make the right decisions.

11. furtho

furtho Member

Nov 19, 2004
    In comparison with other forums that I'm familiar with, BigSoccer Japan gets a very low level of traffic. It surprises me that anyone would try to argue otherwise.

For example, even with four sticky topics taking up space, on the front page of both the BS forums there are still threads that were last posted on almost three weeks ago. If something is that old and I happen to want to post about it - unlikely - I'm happy to accept that I will probably have to find the thread on a subsequent page because by virtue of no-one having posted in, e.g. the Japan - South Korea Asian Cup semi-final thread (which is only just over on the second page), the democracy of the board membership has decided that it is not sufficiently current.

I don't find it worthwhile to distinguish between all the topics on the basis of the split of Japan / Japan Club Football that we have at present. All it means is that I needlessly have to click on two separate pages on the basis of what is to me an arbitrary distinction. I don't want to have to do click on two separate pages, never mind three, and I certainly don't want to have to have three BS buttons on my browser toolbar just to cope with this (imagine how convenient it would be just to have one...).

I get the impression that there is kind of a belief that simply having two or three or more forums means that Japanese football is becoming more important or more popular. What it in fact means is simply that it is harder and more irritating to follow current discussions across all topics.

12. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I understand that people have different customs and ideas.
    I am not saying any is inherently better than others.

But we need to satisfy the majority of users, that is why we took a vote, and Shuvy reminded everybody to vote countless times.

I believe that the results above, at last so far, say rather clearly what most people think should be done.

13. furtho

furtho Member

Nov 19, 2004
    And then he (I'm assuming Shuvy is a he, apologies if that is not the case) specifically invited a more detailed opinion in order to inform decision-making.

I didn't vote not because I don't care, but because I didn't agree with either option that was presented to board participants.

14. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    For my personal perspective it would be inconvenient, because on a single page where there would be more threads I'll have to scroll down and search for those I want to read immediately and those that can wait.

On Mac, I open a window with the first button, then click option+buttons for the other two, and I have three pages ready with all the updates threads on top.

It is the system I got used to, and I kinda like it.

Also, I like to check J1, J2 and clubs' news many times per day, while I read about the NT and Players abroad once per day.

Thus, for me (who casted one vote), the division is very practical.

15. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Your opinion is welcome, of course.

I am sorry if it looked like I was directly challenging our post, my above messages were both written while you were typing your last two - you can check the time stamps.

My first reply was generic, and eventually a bit of a reply to AmerikanKaka.

Shuvy is a "He," btw.

16. furtho

furtho Member

Nov 19, 2004
    Even if the board was combined back into a single forum you wouldn't have to do any scrolling because BigSoccer Japan simply doesn't get that much traffic. All the threads from the last week or so will most likely remain on the front page.

17. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

I don't think so.

I have a 20" monitor and keep fonts on normal size.

Besides the four stickies, I see four or five more, and I think every day a dozen threads or so get updated.

18. furtho

furtho Member

Nov 19, 2004
    You see eight threads on a single page?

19. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Eight or nine

20. dokool

dokool Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 11, 2006
    Tokyo, Japan
    Club:
    FC Tokyo
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    [​IMG]

I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't it, and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.

21. furtho

furtho Member

Nov 19, 2004
    This is a really weird feeling. On the one hand dokool is trying to take the piss out of me, bless him; and on the other I seem to be agreeing with American Kaka.

Note to self: just stick to the non-league thread in future.

22. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Its better to keep Japan's NT's threads in the main forum, and make a new forum for the Japanese abroad.

23. nsato

nsato Member

Oct 11, 2009
    I would want a sub forum if we are going to create a thread for individual players abroad. But there is no need for individual thread imo.

24. shuvy87

shuvy87 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Just so that people know, I am not doing this, to give an impression that Japanese forum is getting popular. In fact, we only had 26 votes total and that tells us something.

Anyway, my reasoning is that I like to keep things organized, especially because of the increased number of abroad players, but we are only separating them into basis of different countries.

25. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Our numbers plunged dramatically, once Hama and FootballOne's 300 socks each have been busted by the Supermods... :(:)