Please support the US Open Cup during the World Cup

Discussion in 'US Open Cup' started by GIO17, Jun 10, 2010.

1. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    As we all know that the World Cup is going on we should remember that after 4:30PM EDT - 1:30PM PDT, the matches are over and when matchday starts in the US Open Cup those of us who support this tournament or has a side performing in it, please continue to support it.

The next three Tuesday's are important for this Cup competition & we should all remember that we love this game. I don't want to hear that after World Class Soccer/Football ends, I don't want to go there. I want all of us who do support a side or the sport to head over to the internet, at the stadiums, athletic complexes, college stadiums, high school stadiums that will host this tournament, that Tuesday doesn't end when the World Cup ends.

It will all end when the Lamar Hunt US Open Cup Rounds proper will end. That's all I can ask of you. Please continue the magic from the end of the World Cup all the way to the end of the Lamar Hunt US Open Cup.

Thank You.

2. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the Athletics had been playing in town instead of going to MN I'd be there. Hopefully they get a second round home game.

3. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If either Colorado based team were still in the competition I would, but they aren't.

4. SheffWedFan

SheffWedFan Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm going to hit up the VC Fusion-Arizona Sahuaros game.

5. lovingthegreen

May 29, 2006
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I might go to the Kitsap-Bay Area game on Tuesday, but will definitely go to any Sounders U.S. Cup games that are played in the Northwest.

6. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Honestly guys, I hope that next years USOC will be a proper FA Cup/USOC because all teams in MLS has to be there. No more qualifiers/play in matches to get into any round for all pro sides.

7. lovingthegreen

May 29, 2006
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I 100 percent agree. If the MLS teams can have play-in matches in April/May, then they can have U.S. Cup matches then instead.

8. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except that USASA and PDL qualifying isn't usually done until late May/early June.

9. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right, but you're only talking about adding one more round to get 16 MLS U.S. teams in there instead of the current 8.

The Red Bulls played 3 play-in matches just to get to the actual tournament. Why?

10. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No argument from me about getting rid of the playoff game, you just can't start it early like the previous poster said.

11. lovingthegreen

May 29, 2006
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, especially in the case of PDL who often use college players who would not be available for U.S. Cup games in March/April.

It's just annoying the format they use, but you're right I don't think there is a practical way around it. Oh well. :(

12. embeleshow

embeleshow Member

Nov 21, 2007
    Monterey Bay
    Club:
    AFC Wimbledon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The tournament isn't geared to be PDL/USASA friendly. Especially now since the last two rounds are in September and October. If for some reason a PDL team makes the final four, they would have to forfeit because their players would be back in school.

13. lovingthegreen

May 29, 2006
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, in that case, let's just start it in March/April then lol. :)

I know what you mean though, I had always wondered about that. They include PDL teams, but if they were to advance far, the teams would be a skeleton of who advanced them that far (whoever was on the roster who was not currently in college, which for many teams would be a handful of players).

14. nicolassarkozy

May 4, 2010
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Good luck. It would be better if it looked more like the FA Cup with all top-flight clubs playing in the round of 64.

15. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    True, but the Canadian Clubs are not involved unlike what Cardiff City is to the FA Cup. But still there needs to be more sides in the lower levels of US Soccer before we can get to a round of 64.

16. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. RBNYSupporter4Life

Nov 26, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm taking the kids to see the LI Rough Riders/NY Pancyprian-Freedoms match tonight. And I've convinced my brother in western PA (who is not a huge soccer fan, but his kids are) to take the kids to a USOC match tonight. As we are originally from Brooklyn, he's bringing the boys to the Harrisburg City Islanders/Brooklyn Italians match.

And I totally agree with you, Gio...the day's action is not over when the day's last WC match blows its final whistle. The way to build American soccer is to support it at ALL levels. While there are format changes that should be made (I think we all agree on that), the US Open Cup is a great tournament - it's our FA Cup - and needs our attention to grow into the true "American Soccer Championship" that it could be.

18. lovingthegreen

May 29, 2006
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did not make it out to the Kitsap-Bay Area game tonight, but I am seriously intrigued by the Kitsap-Portland game next week. Especially since the Sounders will most likely play whoever wins that game. As a Timbers hater, I would love to see the Pumas win, but then again for the same reason I would like to see Portland win so we can play one more time in a competitive game before 2011.

19. SheffWedFan

SheffWedFan Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Just got back from the VC Fusion-AZ Sahuaros game. Decent turnout for a Tuesday night, and with a Lakers game on TV... about 150 fans in attendance.

Sahuaros scored first, Fusion equalized, and it finished 1-1. No goals in extra time, and then Arizona won it 4-2 on PKs. Exciting stuff!

20. Warsaw Legion

Warsaw Legion Member

Oct 10, 2008
    Sunnyside, Queens
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been watching what I can and I went to all three qualifiers at Red Bull Arena, but no one is going to care about this tournament as long as we have a post season playoff style MLS cup. When you have two bracket style tournaments to decide a US Champion what sense does that make?

Please Mr. Garber, make this a single table league where the champion is decided by points just like everyone else so ONE, the Open Cup will matter and TWO, I can stop explaining the whole "conference" thing to friends and strangers who come to a Red Bulls game for the first time.

21. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hooray for generalizations...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primera_División_de_México#Liguilla_.28The_Playoffs.29

22. Warsaw Legion

Warsaw Legion Member

Oct 10, 2008
    Sunnyside, Queens
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know other leagues have playoffs, but they don't have them AND a FA Cup style tournament. Frankly, you've proven my point because when the current Mexican playoff format was started in 1996, they killed the Copa Mexico the following year because having concurrent bracket style tournaments is pointless.

23. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not what you said, you said:

24. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about every where were there is a Cup style championship? Forget the Americas (Brazil and Argentina are single table) and think Europe. How many European Championships have playoffs?

Do not call me an Euro snob, I follow the FMF, and I do not like the 2 tournaments per year and I do not like the play offs, I want copa Mexico back, but the Liguilla killed it!

25. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :rolleyes:

Yeah, the idea is so foreign to American sports. Its not like we have leagues broken up into things like the AFC West, NL East, and Pacific Division or anything.