Please recommend a Scottish team for me to support

Discussion in 'Scotland' started by Tony M, Mar 14, 2024.

1. Tony M

Tony M Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Ohio
    Club:
    --other--
    Hello!

I live in the US. Recently I read Patrick Barclay's excellent biography of Sir Alex Ferguson, and that increased my interest in Scottish football. Can someone recommend a Scottish team for me to support? I'm not interested in the Old Firm--actually, I'm not interested in any team in Scotland's top division. I would prefer a lower league team with an interesting name, preferably a team that is considered to be an underdog. A team that does not have a reputation for hooliganism or racist support.

I have been considering Partick Thistle. If anyone has other recommendations I would be happy to hear them.

My English team is Rochdale. More than 20 years ago we sent my mother to the UK for a vacation, and she bought me a book called Playfair Football Annual. I read through it and decided that Rochdale would be the English team to support, mainly because they had never won anything and were at the time always mid-table. It's difficult to "support" a team that you have never see live, but these days it's easier because of apps. Once, a local cable TV channel even showed a Rochdale game.

I doubt that Partick Thistle will ever be shown here, though...

2. Tony M

Tony M Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Ohio
    Club:
    --other--
  3. Old Man!

Old Man! BigSoccer Supporter

RIP Chicago Fire
    Mar 11, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's kind of a personal choice. Why not support a team you can actually see live?

4. Ed NYC Firm

Ed NYC Firm Member

May 14, 2000
    NY
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Choosing a team to support isn't really something someone else can recommend for you. You really need to be in stadium for. I'm a DFC supporter because my Mom's family come from Dundee. I went over to visit one time any my cousins took me to a match, I was hooked after that.

5. Tony M

Tony M Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Ohio
    Club:
    --other--
    How about it? Does anybody out there have a team they would recommend?

6. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/29/spor...erican-investors-scotland-spt-intl/index.html

Nestled in the leafy outskirts of Motherwell, a town about 20 kilometers southeast of Glasgow, the Caledonian Braves play in the Scottish fifth division with a team of mostly amateur players at a ground with capacity for just 500 fans.

But, despite its small home, Ewing’s vision of creating a fan-owned club, steeped in values of diversity and community with ambitions of reaching the Scottish Premier League, has attracted more than $300,000 in investment from more than 1,000 owners around the world, far outstripping the annual running costs of about $58,000, he says.

7. Tony M

Tony M Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Ohio
    Club:
    --other--
    Thank you! That really sounds like the perfect team to support.

But I have to ask, why does the team use the nickname "Braves"? Here in the US we have struggled for a long time to get sports teams to change nicknames that appropriate the names, symbols and cultures of native peoples. I normally avoid supporting or even paying attention to teams with racist names. For example, I never watch the Atlanta Braves baseball team or the Kansas City Chiefs NFL team, and was extremely happy when the Washington Redskins NFL team and the Cleveland Indians baseball team finally changed their names.

Why would a football team in Scotland call themselves "Braves"? Is there a Scottish context for that name?

8. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States