Please help! Need Club Team and National Team to Support!

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by honkifulovemls, Dec 25, 2005.

1. honkifulovemls

Sep 5, 2001
    NY/MA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, well this is really starting to bug me :( :mad: I have no international first division (premier) team to support, nor a national team. With the World Cup rolling around, I really would enjoy the opportunity to support another team besides the USA. Here's a lil about my situation:

I'm born and raised in Massachusetts. The first MLS game I saw was the '96 MLS Cup on TV. It was love at first sight. I started following the LA Galaxy the following season and was a big fan of Cobi Jones. I soon came to become a fan of the team. I loved the offensive, counter-attacking style of the '98 team and how exciting they were to watch.

I went to Spain in 2004 fo ra student exchange and stayed with a family in Valladolid. I'm sort of a fan of that team (they were in La Liga at the time but now they're in the 1st division)

Regarding national teams: I'm an Indian Muslim (as in India Indian) so I have no real connection to any country to support. I love the Spanish language (though I'm not fluent). When playing soccer, I love to play as a team and am more about the team play than individual work (I was really impressed with Liverpool's CL win over Milan). However, when watching soccer, I usually
    love individual skill and fast moving play (like the South American game... Ronaldinho is my favorite player because of his great skill/creativity and how he seemingly is always smiling- really loves the game).

So I guess I come to you today asking for your help in finding a national and club team compatible for me. I'm really loyal to the teams I support, even if I don't reside in their city. I'm not necessarily looking for some giants (Real Madrid, Man U, Brasil), but rather teams that fit the interests and qualities I embody (there has to be some connection!).

I feel kinda weird going about this way trying to find a favorite team (I feel it should be a more natural process, like me and the Galaxy), but I guess the problem is that I don't watch enough of the world game (aside from the WC and some random Champion's League games) to have already picked out some teams...

2. GRBomber

GRBomber Member

Sep 12, 2005
    Brasília - Brazil
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Just support Brazil and you will be fine.

I never understood how many people can support two or more clubs.
    I enjoy seeing many teams play, but I support only mine (São Paulo).

3. honkifulovemls

Sep 5, 2001
    NY/MA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh please, I don't wanna take the easy way out! But I do agree with you about people supporting multiple teams- especially angers me to see someone support like, for example, Arsenal, Juventus, Madrid- all the big teams (glory hounds). I would normally only like one team to support, but I feel like I need a national team besides the US and a club team outside of the US (one that actually plays other teams in international tournies like World Club Cup or even continental wide ones like the CL)

4. megamac20817

megamac20817 Member+

Jul 9, 2005
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    If you want a club to support, there's an infinite number. Nacional and Peñarol of Uruguay, River Plate, Boca Juniors, Independiente, Racing Club, Rosario Central, Velez Sarsfield and San Lorenzo in Argentina. You can also go for some Japanese team, like the Urawa Reds, or some Chilean team, Colo-Colo.

Or, try Barcelona (ECU), just to tick of a few Real fans ;)

When it comes to national teams, you have plenty. Would you like to support a fellow CONCACAF nation whcih got a difficult group? Yes? Costa Rica then! How about a debut country? Well, then you have plenty: Ukraine, Angola, T&T, Cote D'Ivoire, Ghana, Togo...

5. honkifulovemls

Sep 5, 2001
    NY/MA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    mega, thanks for your input. Regarding national teams: I'm looking for one that I can support for life, not just for this WC (although it would be nice to see some of those underdogs come through).

I guess what I'm looking for are teams with a good balance of individual skill and good team play (quick passing, counter attacking play, etc.)... I feel like those South American teams are a bit too one sided (individual skills). I know teams (especially clubs) change players frequently, but are there any clubs or national teams that really have a strong history of embodying/promoting this type of balanced play?

6. girco

girco New Member

Jul 3, 2005
    São Paulo
    Supporting a team should come from the craddle, you can't just pick one you find cute :rolleyes:
    What's wrong with LA Galaxy and the USMNT?

7. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Got it in one.

8. BennyNL redded

BennyNL redded Red Card

Dec 21, 2005
    Rotterdam
    Just support the team of your favorite player (s)..that way you cant go wrong :)

9. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    in regards to clubs or national teams you should support, they should come to you, not you to them.

10. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You were born in Massachusetts. Then your club
    team should be the Revolution.

Your national team should be the U.S.A.

11. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have no connection any national teams, yet you were born AND raised in the USA...

12. honkifulovemls

Sep 5, 2001
    NY/MA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's nothing wrong with these teams, it's just that it's difficult to discuss soccer with someone in this country when most people (or at least most people I meet) follow entirely different leagues or teams (the European game, Copa America, etc.). I guess I just need to watch more European/S. American football?

13. honkifulovemls

Sep 5, 2001
    NY/MA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I meant aside from the US, which, isn't all that well of a respected international team (or wasn't until 3 years ago). I'm most definitely a US fan, but I feel like there's another team I should be supporting! For example, I've found that a lot of US fans support the US first and then another team second (a team of their particular ancestry).

14. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Newsflash...he likes team work, not individual performances.....Brazil is not an option.

Go with Germany and either Bayern or Liverpool and you'll truly be fine mate!

15. squadra_azzurri

squadra_azzurri Member+

Aug 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Italy for NT because they are really fun to follow and they are serie A greats. i guess you can say that with all 3 leagues, but italy is the best ;) best flga best color jerseys (azzurri) and best everything. It seems Italy is on quite a streak right now undefeated in 2006 and it will be fun to cheer for them and to see how good they do knowing Totti is going to retire from International after WC06. Its your choice but I think you or anyone would really love to follow the Azzurri. Italy will silence their critics and its up to you to follow us as we lead to victory.

16. megamac20817

megamac20817 Member+

Jul 9, 2005
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    After re-reading your post, I'd like to suggest Argentina, or England. Both of these teams rely on team work, because they have to face competition who have superior individual skill, such as Holland and Brazil.

17. Serb

Serb New Member

Oct 1, 2005
    Southern Ontario
    What about Villarreal?

A great little team making some noise.

You should support Serbia and Montenegro, as well. :)

18. megamac20817

megamac20817 Member+

Jul 9, 2005
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yeah, I forgot aobut Villareal, a truly class team.

And sure, why not Serbia. I must warn you though, be ready for heartbreak in the next World Cup when Argentina mauls 'em ;)

19. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No offense, but that is crap. You do not pick and choose amongst national teams, you go with what you are. None of my friends will be supporting another nation come 2006. What does it matter how respected the USMNT is? You just looking to jump on some national teams bandwagon that might win it all? Sorry to jump down your throat, but I just cannot understand how someone could not support their own national team to its fullest, wether they suck or are Brazil.

20. honkifulovemls

Sep 5, 2001
    NY/MA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm not looking to jump on any bandwagon- in my original post I mentioned how I'm not necessarily looking to support any powerhouses. Also, I consider myself Indian American, so a part of me doesn't feel 100% American. Logically, therefore, it would make sense to support India as well, but they're team just barely exists (plus I only know one way to follow that team- a single website).

21. honkifulovemls

Sep 5, 2001
    NY/MA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Why do you suggest Bayern or Liverpool?

22. honkifulovemls

Sep 5, 2001
    NY/MA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have always sort of admired Argentina's quick play (with a dash of flair thrown in). I think the last time I watched them play, though, was in last year's Confederation's Cup Final loss to Brazil. It's funny that you'd suggest those two teams, because I feel like Argentina is more flair and England more teamwork (each really one sided), and there doesn't seem to be a medium. What do you all think?

Also, what's everyone's opinions on the style of Portuguese club teams like Porto and Benfica? I haven't watched too many of their games at all (I think the last I saw was Porto's CL final). Off the top of my head I would think their style is a good mix of individual skill and teamwork?

Wow, this thread really is making me realize how weak my overall understanding of the international game is... :eek:

23. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indian-American, African-American, European-American, all the same thing...AMERICAN. Etnicity and nationaltiy are totally different. Besides you seem to be looking at more than just India and the USA as the teams you support. Not sure what being Indian_American has to do with supporting Argentina or England.

24. guado

guado Member+

Jun 30, 2004
    ocotengo miedo
    Club:
    Inverness Caledonian Thistle
    Nat'l Team:
    Indonesia
    you already have two teams to support, two teams you like/have a connection to. by looking for other teams, it makes you seem like a glory hunter.

just because other people support another team after the U.S. team, doesn't mean you should follow the trend.

if you did follow the trend, would you also follow the trend of supporting a powerhouse after the U.S. team (since you seem to want to follow trends so much? you said you wanted a team for life, and i don't see you supporting a rather unknown team for life over a manchester or madrid.)

25. BennyNL redded

BennyNL redded Red Card

Dec 21, 2005
    Rotterdam
    Newsflash...you are an ignorant american...you know nothing about football...Brazil is one of the best NT's out there...SUCKA