Please help me find GK double-touch video

Discussion in 'Referee' started by DaveRef, Oct 17, 2020.

1. DaveRef

DaveRef New Member

Buffalo Stallions
    Jun 13, 2010
    Geneseo, NY
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hello all,

At some point this week, I saw a clip of a goalkeeper taking a free kick/goal kick inside the goal area, tapping to a defender next to him, who was paying less than no attention. The goalkeeper ended up touching it a second time to keep it from the attacker (who WAS paying attention) and the referee stopped play.

I did not take a note of where I saw this clip. Does anyone know where it is and where I can find it again?

I know someone else had to have seen it too.

Thank you.

2. sulfur

sulfur Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    dadman and DaveRef repped this.
  3. DaveRef

DaveRef New Member

Buffalo Stallions
    Jun 13, 2010
    Geneseo, NY
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dadman repped this.
  4. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    The rest of the match highlights are entertaining - featuring the same keeper sent off for 2CT and a late equalizer.

SccrDon repped this.
  5. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This video had a lot of mileage in another forum I read. People were debating the card.

Funnily enough it would have been a card regardless of if the keeper used the feet or hands. One of the few once in a million scenarios specifically addressed in the laws.

6. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    On an exam the ball would have been kicked and then blown back to the keeper, by wind that miraculously allowed the ball to be stationary when kicked

7. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Marvel Test universe is really close to the Twighlight Zone. Things happen.

dadman and Pittsburgh Ref repped this.
  8. kayakhorn

kayakhorn Member+

Oct 10, 2011
    Arkansas
    Don't you evaluate the wind shear before every match?

9. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the term "wind shear" even comes up, the match probably shouldn't be held.

I mean, it's pretty windy out here in Colorado sometimes, but wind shear seems a bit risky.

10. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    Agreed, that would be shear madness

chwmy repped this.
  11. Vinnydabody

Vinnydabody Member

Jun 10, 2014
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Italy: hold my beer. Keeper second touch for a DOGSO:

12. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Didn't letting GKs be touched inside the PA make life so much better . . .

I actually didn't think she had "taken" the kick. Looks to me like she was setting the ball up further. (If she had taken it, I would have expected her to move between the sticks.) But it is definitely an ambiguity created by the change, as it is unclear whether the kick had been taken.

13. Vinnydabody

Vinnydabody Member

Jun 10, 2014
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Yeah especially with the helpful definition of "kick" added to the LOTG glossary.

I'm guessing there's more backstory to this incident from earlier in the game.

14. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    Wow. I agree it looked like she was simply moving the ball to the edge of the GA, but *technically* she kicked the ball. Do I dare ask if she had picked the ball up instead of attempting to clear it, is it still dogso?

15. DaveRef

DaveRef New Member

Buffalo Stallions
    Jun 13, 2010
    Geneseo, NY
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For me, evidence that she intended as a pass to her teammate:
    • She looked at the teammate before she rolled the ball
    • She reacted immediately when she saw the attacker coming
    • When the referee showed the red card, her first instinct was to yell at her teammate who was absolutely not paying attention...it was only after several seconds that it occurred to her that she had to try and convince the referee that she was trying to reposition the ball

GoDawgsGo and Vinnydabody repped this.
  16. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Which year's laws. Under the new Laws it would be, but previously it could not have been (which was always a bit nuts).

I hear what you're saying, but she also
    • is watching the ball as she kicks it out
    • looks like she's lining up to take the kick before the attacker starts running in
    I don't know which it was--but it's a really crappy scenario that turns a GK into a send off and a great GSO on the IFK. IMHO, the change was really a solution in search of a problem

17. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    The years are kinda running together...:)

18. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’ll weigh in on this. I believe she admitted in an interview she was passing the ball. Can’t find it right now.

LampLighter and Vinnydabody repped this.
  19. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For what it’s worth I can’t find the original that someone has shown me translated from Italian. It had a direct quote. But here are three separate articles that all seem to agree she passed the ball.

I find it hard to believe three different sources of media would give a detail like that in defense of a referees controversial decision unless there was evidence to support it.

https://sempremilan.com/ac-milan-women-1-0-roma-match-review-and-key-talking-points

https://acmilan.theoffside.com/2020...boquete-doie-corenciova-grimshaw-fusetti-news

https://www.violanation.com/2020/11...-sabatino-louise-quinn-peamount-ireland-italy

20. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The big takeaway for me is that the law change in 2016 about “kicked and clearly moves” was made to remove the ambiguity and allow opponents to fairly challenge for free kicks.

Don’t move the ball around in a manner than can easily be interpreted as kicked and in play. Same as don’t perform a legal throw in to get the ball to someone else you want to take a throw.

Scrabbleship repped this.