Please BAN the 'fan horns'

Discussion in 'Seattle Sounders FC' started by jd6885, Mar 20, 2009.

1. SounderMan

SounderMan Member

Nov 8, 2006
    Lacey WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure thing, Sandy. Run along to cheerleading practice.

2. TheOtherBrent

TheOtherBrent Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Please BAN stupid quoting

I think we should BAN quoting the entire preceding post (because, you know, being a whole one post away we'd never find it without a full quote) and then adding just one line to it.

3. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we should BAN roll-on deodorant.

4. TFCSteve

TFCSteve Member

Apr 16, 2007
    Toronto
    Sorry to jump into your forum (I don't know how you guys react to visitors, it seems like many other teams define "trolling" as anyone who supports another team posting on their threads).

As an FYI, BMO has already banned these horns. In fact, they were banned from day 1:
    (look under noisemakers)

http://web.mlsnet.com/t280/stadium/prohibited_items/

Personally, I am really glad this is the case. I have been to stadiums with horns (including Crew stadium last weekend) and I just find them obnoxious. Luckily our FO feels the same way (the president of operations of TFC posts on the supporters' forums, and has made his view clear). Interestingly (since there seems to be some conflict here) I haven't heard of a single supporter who disagrees with this rule, or thinks it's the FO trying to clamp down on atmosphere. In fact, whenever it is mentioned, supporters will pretty much rise as one and thank the FO gods that this rule is in place. Drums, flags, your voice are all good, horns (unless they are trumpets, and playing the tetris theme song, big respect to Chicago for that) just take away from the atmosphere in my opinion.

Anyway, for all those fighting against them, there are already teams that have this rule (not only teams with bad FOs) so keep the faith.

5. DaminadaPt2

DaminadaPt2 Member

Mar 19, 2009
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I tried to keep the faith for years here at Colorado, last year was just too much. I hope that some day they will get rid of them but the Rapids FO has proven themselves to be quite out of touch. If they do ban them I will be back at the games in a heart beat, but until then it's direct kick for me.

Yes I support and love them, but I can't deal with going to game, watching them do everything right and beat the crap out of a team.. but yet go home with a splitting headache and thinking how crappy the game experience was for me.

Sounds like though these Sounder fans have bigger issues to worry about. That take a simple subject of fan horns and turn it into some As the World Turns drama about their supporter groups etc. lol. I guess once the new team polish is over and they start seeing attendance numbers like ours that maybe they will think about the horns again. :)

6. EdTheRed

EdTheRed Member+

Feb 6, 2001
    Loose On The Town
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Cook Islands
    Horns are banned at RFK...and a glorious day it was when that happened. And if they don't need them at BMO or RFK, you don't need them at Qwest...unless, you know, you'd rather have a D*ck's-type atmosphere.

7. Zé Bill

Zé Bill Member

Mar 21, 2004
    I kind of decided 10 years ago that fan horns weren't something Id fight over, even though I dislike them...........that's neither here nor there....

but maybe there's a technical solution to [part of] the problem: maybe if the horns COST MORE...and some of the extra $$$ went into making horns that:

1) sounded better
    2) weren't as loud
    3) made a very certain, non-bleating musical note when you blew 'em
    4) two versions could be sold, each a different musical tone, such as F and A, like the first 2 notes of a major chord
    5) the "bell" of the horn would point upward, a la Dizzy Gillespie, so that row 8 doesn't deafen the guy in row 7 [as much]

or else ban 'em

ps I remember reading that Thomas Dooley (in Germany) heard the horns on a broadcast from Mexico but he thought it was the buzz of a very faulty transformer leaking into the audio

8. AgentJ

AgentJ New Member

Apr 4, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I agree. The Horns need to go. We are loud enough without needing those obnoxious novelty items.

9. avocats

avocats Member

Nov 24, 2003
    Pacific Northwest
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OMFG. Someone's buttons are pushed.
    I was speaking from my experience. Kids are kids. Even when parents AREN'T all "my kids are perfect, how dare you . . .", the kids forget . . . .

10. Süße

Süße New Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    The horns are incredibly annoying... me and my cousin were located by a family with 2 young children with them and.... don't get me wrong I like the enthusiasm but that farting noise in my ear non stop was awful.

11. avocats

avocats Member

Nov 24, 2003
    Pacific Northwest
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd argue that an 11-page thread and the fact that at least five clubs mentioned here already ban the horns undermines your premise.

This is an issue and management should have the alliance address it.

12. scott47a

scott47a Member+

Seattle Sounders FC; Arsenal FC
    Feb 6, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude, quit trying to bait me into an argument. It's not working. Let it die.