Please BAN the 'fan horns'

Discussion in 'Seattle Sounders FC' started by jd6885, Mar 20, 2009.

1. avocats

avocats Member

Nov 24, 2003
    Pacific Northwest
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd have texted security about him. Yeah, I know, it's not all hooligany "football" but that is inappropriate anywhere in public (except for maybe the supporters' sections).

2. avocats

avocats Member

Nov 24, 2003
    Pacific Northwest
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And drunks. But you're right, my impression is that parents buy them for kids who will otherwise be bored out of their minds. And the team sells them for money. I'm for taking up a collection to bribe the team not to sell them anymore. They're cheesy and beyond annoying to a real football fan.

3. avocats

avocats Member

Nov 24, 2003
    Pacific Northwest
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm saying it. As well as veryone else sitting around me in 109.
    Besides, 10x10 flags and obscenities are already banned, except in the supporters' sections. There's no escaping the horns, though.

4. avocats

avocats Member

Nov 24, 2003
    Pacific Northwest
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, for god's sake, I KNOW this is BigSoccer where people keep going and going and GOING but -- the horns are an issue; if the Sounders didn't SELL them, they probably wouldn't be there; self-help is not a solution (neither assault, which is stupid and illegal, nor "asking politely," which doesn't work--see father, elsewhere on this board, who asked his kid to tone it down, like that works with a kid); and this is a perfect issue for the alliance to address. VOTE ON IT. Hell, charge me an extra $5 for my seat. Just get rid of the things.

5. DoTheVillage

DoTheVillage New Member

Jul 19, 2007
    This thread Blows!!

[​IMG]

6. WestSeattle

WestSeattle New Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Parents buy them for their kids to get them to stop whining.

What? Seems there's more whining here than from any kid I've met at a game.

Kids are often acting in a more mature, reasonable way than a lot of adults at sports games. They don't cuss, swear and act indignant at the slightest call against their team; they don't harass and intimidate other fans, or members of the opposite sex; and they don't spill beer, get inebriated or brag about how cool it is to be inebriated at a voice normally reserved for screaming.

Demonizing kids with a horn, as if they are somehow a threat to the game is ridiculous. Parents buy the kid a horn, because a kid will have fun blowing it while he's at the game. Where is the harm in a kid having fun at a soccer game? In fact, its exactly what the sport needs in the US. It's fun for them...let them have fun. Do you hide your kids in a closet at game time at home too?

Is a kid blowing a horn, really that much more horrible, than the off-key singing of drunken 20-something males? It's noise, it's part of the circus, it's part of the atmosphere.

Honestly, if this is all we have to whine about as fans, the Sounders are doing just fine. And banning a kid's toy, isn't much of a solution or improvement to this fine season we've started.

I want a kids toy banned because it annoys me; oh but I can scream at the referee all I want. A little tolerance people, for people of all ages and styles. We all belong, we're all worthy.

7. SounderMan

SounderMan Member

Nov 8, 2006
    Lacey WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree wholeheartedly. I made the bolded comment above because I remember my folks buying the least expensive souvenir for us as kids so we would shut up about wanting something from the stand. I'm glad I'm in the northend where we spend time enjoying the game instead of worrying whether or not we get heard singing on television. Do people sing in the northend??? Hell yes, but they are not attention whores like some others...........

8. scott47a

scott47a Member+

Seattle Sounders FC; Arsenal FC
    Feb 6, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you implying that when I asked my teenager to make sure he didn't blow his horn in anyone's ear and was respectful that he didn't obey me?

What kind of parents did you have, man? Because my child (and by the way, the children who sit around me) are respectful well-behaved children who do as their told and don't cause trouble.

On the other hand, two drunk a**holes grabbed my son's Jones Soda, and his girlfriend's and poured them out during half-time when my son and girlfriend were away from their seats.

You don't see me starting a thread saying they ought to ban alcohol sales at the game.

You need to check yourself before you make comments on how other people's kids act.

9. GOALSeattle

GOALSeattle Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Horns 4 evah.

10. Chizzy

Chizzy Member+

She/Her
    United States
    Aug 7, 2003
    Upper Left, USA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would you ban a hot selling item in a tough economic time?

11. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The reason is simple. Prohibition creates a black market with decreased supply and increased risk. Since the demand for horns will never decrease despite our repeated attempts to educate the users, prices can be increased. The result is greater profits without having to worry about paying taxes. These profits will become seed money for the revitalization of our economy.

12. DaminadaPt2

DaminadaPt2 Member

Mar 19, 2009
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    lol, okay wait a second. Somebody took your drinks and poured them out at half-time... you ever stop and think for a second why they did that? Sounds like to me you got hit with a bit of 'horn rage'.

See, this is what many are talking about. You have no idea how much your son blowing his horn effects people sitting below you. You think it's all fun and can't understand why anybody wouldn't want some donkey sitting behind them blowing a horn all game long. I would take foul mouth drunks any day before the horn blowers. At least I can point and laugh at the drunks when they piss on themselves.

13. DaminadaPt2

DaminadaPt2 Member

Mar 19, 2009
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    The problem isn't the kids, it's the horns. Don't get the two confused. I'm all for kids horsing around all they want and having a good time, they don't really bother anybody. Now give a kid a horn and you have a different situation, they can clear out and entire section with that thing.

Is it really that much more horrible than off key singing drunks etc? 100% yes they are. It doesn't add to the atmosphere, it's not part of the atmosphere.. you will find that it detracts and in the end destroy's the atmosphere. There is a reason why other teams have banned them and I guess it will take a few games for you guys to figure it out.

14. GOALSeattle

GOALSeattle Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Teach the tykes to aim the horns almost straight up in the air.

15. SeattleSupporter

Aug 17, 2004
    North Sound Ultra
    Much like your good buddy Westie, you seem to like to stir the pot and create divisions between Seattle fans.
    Very classy.

16. Kevy Metal

Kevy Metal New Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. And for that matter I think they should introduce marijuana and cocaine sales at the concession stands.:D

17. SounderMan

SounderMan Member

Nov 8, 2006
    Lacey WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the "dividers" are those who think that they can dictate how other fans root for the team. On this forum, and others, there seems to be an attitude of entitlement from some of the "supporters". Now, how you take that statement is entirely up to you. I'm not talking about you unless the shoe fits. I chose not to sit in the south end because I want to watch the game without my view being obstructed. I also wasn't into taking beer showers every match.

18. SeattleSupporter

Aug 17, 2004
    North Sound Ultra
    You mean like the FO is doing? :D

Go back and read your post, and tell me how it is not divisive.
    You seem to enjoy taking jabs at other fans/supporters.

19. SounderMan

SounderMan Member

Nov 8, 2006
    Lacey WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

There ARE people who are more concerned with whether or not they can be heard on television than just enjoying the match. I read their complaints about it especially on the club forum. To me, that is attention seeking. If their gameday experience is impacted by how they see it after the fact........ that's their own problem. I'm there to watch the match..... while it happens.

20. SeattleSupporter

Aug 17, 2004
    North Sound Ultra
    How do you know that some of the complaints are not from people in the northend?

I don't really care if the chants can be heard on the broadcast.
    I was there, I know we were as loud as we could be.

I just hate having to turn off the sound when I watch it the next day because it sounds like a beehive. :D

21. scott47a

scott47a Member+

Seattle Sounders FC; Arsenal FC
    Feb 6, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not taking sides with any post on here, but I want to point out that the whole point of this thread is to create divisions between Seattle fans -- which is why people who are more level headed like Greg and GS have jokingly called for "banning threads that want to ban things."

Let's be honest. This is much ado about nothing. And I really, really hope that we all can agree that we are in this together. Nobody should "ban" anything. And if you have a problem with something happening in your section have a nice discussion with the people around you (who I hope will become your friends over a long season of sitting together) or get an usher or something.

22. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They already sell a more addictive substance cut with pee for $8 a serving. Not gonna top that scam.

23. Kevy Metal

Kevy Metal New Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please ban scott47a for being level headed. Damn you!;)

24. SounderMan

SounderMan Member

Nov 8, 2006
    Lacey WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How dare you separate the "level heads" from the rest........ you divider, you. :D

25. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    Oh stfu already. You keep making these statements slandering the supporters and then when people tell you to stop trying to stir the pot you always say, "does it hit too close to home" or "If the shoe fits" etc.

You say you are just agreeing with others, others can express their opinions without talking trash about another group of individuals.

Where as you are always taking every opportunity to label those in the supporters section and ECS as a bunch of drunk idiots who refuse to see things from others points of view.

In this thread you are also wrongfully claiming they are only trying to get on TV as well.

With regards to this topic in general. Many people dislike the horns, there are many who don't mind them and there are those that enjoy them. There are people of this opinion in all areas of the stadium, yet when the topic comes up you start throwing insults at the supporters groups.

The fact is, I am a member of the ECS, I rarely drink, I have my own opinions and respect others with differing points of view.

If you want to bring up the flag issue, as you have elsewhere, the fact is those in the supporters section have permission from the FO and security to go crazy waving flags whenever they want.

More people are likely to complain about something than they are to speak up about something they like. Yet more people are saying how much they love the flags and want them waving than there are complaning. Not talking about just people IN the section. Yet the ECS still tries to make everyone feel welcome. And yet there are posters like you who want to talk shit about the ECS and other supporters regardless of the facts.

Don't try to pull out that, "if the shoe fits" or "does it hit too close to home?" bullshit either.

I know excactlly who you are referring to because of the history of your posts over the past year or so.

You are refering to me and others like me. And the shoe doesn't fit because you are wrong, yet you keep going on saying the same shit over and over.