Playoffs [R]

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by BrandiC63, Aug 4, 2003.

1. BrandiC63

BrandiC63 New Member

Apr 8, 2000
    Piscataway, NJ
    Well, the Power are out of the playoffs. :(

San Diego beat Carolina last night 1-0 putting us out of playoff contention.

We still have one game left which is to spoil Atlanta from playing at their home field in their playoff run.

It was a great season, many ups, some downs, but what Tom Sermanni did with our team was incredible. He turned us inside out and even though it had to end on a loss to the Breakers, we still had a phenominal season, much in part to our coach for getting such awesome players to put out on the pitch.

My vote:
    Tom Sermanni = Coach of the Year

GO POWER!

2. UP90

UP90 New Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Georgia
    The Power may well be the best and most dangerous of all the teams that don't make the playoffs this year. If their defense could've gelled a little sooner and they'd not had so many injured forwards, things might have been different.

3. magiclamp

magiclamp New Member

Jan 2, 2000
    New Yawk
    Yeah, Sermanni did a lot of great things with this team this year. It IS a shame that the defense jelled a bit late. If we had made it into the playoffs, he definitely deserved coach of the year. Pia Sundhage may end up with it, but really, she had a LOT more to work with than Tom did when he was hired. He brought in a lot of great players (Aly who???) and great energy and belief that they COULD succeed. Unlike last year, when they pretty much gave up the last several games, this year they fought to the end.

I had a chance to say hi to Tom after the game Sunday and he put his arm around me (!!!) and just kinda shook his head. He was disaapointed, but I told him he did great things for the team and that I was so proud of what he was able to accomplish and glad that he was with us. He appreciated that.

I DEFINTELY want a spoiler end to the Beaten's season. I want to shut Mr Arrogant's mouth once and for all.

Tonight I'm going to the Season Awards Dinner at Jillian's. It will be nice to give them a big round of applause for what they were able to accomplish this year. Just wish I had someone to go with, so I don't feel like such a dork going alone!

:)
    N~

4. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    If I went with you would I get some :eek:? Ya' know how much I love Strong Island women!

---------

Thank you MSG for showing most of the non-PAX games. It really gave me a chance to really see this team make a great turnaround after a really bad start. And damnit to hell it made me really, really, really like Shannon Boxx. IMNSHO her worth is much more than Aly Wagner's in that blockbuster trade during the offseason.

So who is everyone's MVP? I gotta give it to Boxx.

5. magiclamp

magiclamp New Member

Jan 2, 2000
    New Yawk
    Oh yeah, Fear! Lots of :eek: ! LOL!!

Boxx definintely MVP. Or at least Stud of the Year. :)

That whole trade deal was brilliant. We were going to take Welsh anyway, so SD really didn't need to do it, but I guess to be SURE they got her they did it. Talk about a steal!

She doesn't get the talk that Boxx does, but Teitjen really has been another great asset. Her defense is really good and that girl has a leg! She's either scored or assisted or got the ball where it needed to be in several instances.

I really like Smo a lot and think she can eventually replace Webber. Webber's biggest problem is when she lets her emotions get the best of her. I love an intense player, but sometimes she gets too emotional. I have been impressed with the job she's done this year for the most part though.

Raveia is probably my favorite on the team. Her defense has been really solid, she's taken some serious knocks to her face and other body parts without fear and yet she is such a sweetheart off the field. Just like Gro. :)

But then again, Krista Davey has a special place in my heart too. A feisty thing on the field that is always a threat, and an absolute doll off it.

I do regret that we didn't get to see Christie Welsh's full potential this year. After shaking off the newbie jitters, she settled down and was on a roll for us. It's a shame her injury has taken so long to heal. I truly feel that had we had her on the field, a few of those losses and ties would have been winners. Maybe she'll get a chance this weekend in the season finale.

There really are so many players that stepped up this year. The fact that we had goals from, what, 13 different players? is testament to that.

Here's to next year!

6. BrandiC63

BrandiC63 New Member

Apr 8, 2000
    Piscataway, NJ
    These are my awards for the team this year.

2003 Power MVP
    Hands down, Shannon Boxx

2003 Offensive MVP
    Christie Welsh
    Even though she missed a handful of games, we definatly missed her hustleing presense, and out of all of the forwards, she did the most for us this season.

2003 Defensive MVP
    Jaclyn Raveia
    She played every single game for us this year, and missed about 39-40 minutes throughout the season. From being kicked in the face and still headed the ball and being vicious, she was one of the rocks in our defense this year.

2003 Rookie/Newcomer MVP
    Could be Heather Beem or Cheryl Salisbury.
    Beem stepped up bigtime this year, coming late because of her college dutys and then coming right in for the injured Christie Welsh. She has been pretty consistent and played very well this year and got alot of credit.
    Then there is Salisbury, who organized our defensive line. She missed quite a few games due to injury and the national team, but I think she definatly tightened the backline up when she was there. Oh yea, and the fact that she is a "tree". :)

2003 Hustle Award
    Shannon Boxx.
    No need to explain how awesome she was for us this year.

What do you all think? Also, am I missing any other award categorys?

7. BrandiC63

BrandiC63 New Member

Apr 8, 2000
    Piscataway, NJ
    The Actual Awards...

2003 Rookie of the Year
    Christie Welsh

Humanitarian Award
    Tammy Pearman

Unsung Hero Award
    Krista Davey

Defensive Player of the Year