playoff strech

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by RiverBurner1969, Sep 1, 2007.

1. RiverBurner1969

RiverBurner1969 New Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    just kidding. But seriously we have a tough strech of matches ahead of us and this was an important game. What can we do to secure that final playoff spot?

2. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Fire Osorio

First, you shouldn't hint a same-day game result without at least some kind of warning.

That said, Orsorio is still 3-2-1 in league play with a team that has some injuries and hasn't had enough time to mesh together. It was always going to be a long shot for us to make the play-offs after Dave ********ed us up so bad. But I'm looking forward to next year because I like what Orsorio has done. Now if he could just get us a right midfielder...

3. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we loss next Saturday at Columbus are season is over. Three points against Columbus is a MUST!

4. Hattrix

Hattrix Member

Sep 1, 2002
    Chicago
    I can't help but feel a little dirty posting in a thread with a typo in its title, but the recent Columbus-Colorado game ([R] on the way...) seems pretty good for us. Yes, we need a win at the Crew, and that will put us past them on points. But even a draw there is OK if we can muster a win at FCD later in the season. Of the games we have in the last third of the regular season, NY was one where a loss could be tolerated, provided we get the job done at home and away at the Crew next week.

5. frescoxl

frescoxl New Member

Jun 12, 2007
    Saint Louis
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Chicago has a very very good chance of making the last playoff birth. According to MLS.com scoreboard and standings it looks like this.

GP W L T P

Kansas City 24 9 9 6 33
    Columbus 22 6 7 9 27
    Chicago 22 7 10 5 26

There are a total of 30 games left and the most important match is next:

Chicago Fire vs. Columbus Sept. 8

If Chicago wins that gives us 29 points 2 ahead of Columbus and 4 behind Kansas City with 1 game still to play for both Chicago and Columbus. Also Columbus and Kansas still have to face each other once so that will drop points away from both or 1 team completely.

All in all Chicago can do it and it will not be dependent of the other teams score unless they win every single game from now on. With the current team being on fire there is no reason to eliminate Chicago from the playoffs.

This reminds me of Blanco being transfered to a weak team in Mexico because of talk and he still managed to get them to the semifinals!