Playoff Seedings

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by finlma, Sep 11, 2003.

1. finlma

finlma New Member

Sep 8, 2003
    Uefa are to decide tomorrow whether or not the playoff games will be seeded. While I think it would be unfair for these to be seeded I think it would be good for Ireland if we get there. If the seedings are calculated as they were for the groups then we are sure to be top seeds and hence avoid Holland, Spain, England/Turkey, etc and be more likely drawn against Slovenia, Wales, Scotland/Iceland.

So bring on the seedings I say and bring on the Swiss too.

2. shay

shay New Member

May 13, 2003
    london
    how can we avoid both england and turkey...surely one of them is top seed and the other is second seed. my guess is that turkey would be a top seed if they were in the playoffs but england would be a second seed....could be wrong though.
    wales would be a nice handy one...i doubt ifd they would beat northern ireland right now..

3. finlma

finlma New Member

Sep 8, 2003
    I meant England or Turkey, thats what the / stands for. I think whichever of them are in the playoff would be top seeds along with us. I say bring on the Scots if we get in, they're useless.

4. spunkymonkey

spunkymonkey New Member

Sep 9, 2002
    London
    England or Turkey (whichever gts into playoffs) would definitely be top seeds.
    Im glad your that optimistic about beating Wales Shay as I could see it with our current team.
    Also think you are being very harsh on Wales saying they wouldnt beat Northern Ireland. They've been really impressive this qualifying campaign and I think they deserve to get through to the finals. Deserve it more than any of the other home nations.
    Lets hope we all avoid each other in the play offs and all qualify for Portugal......thats providing we get there!!!!

5. finlma

finlma New Member

Sep 8, 2003
    It looks unlikely that the playoffs will be seeded so if we get there we could easily have to face one of the better sides.

6. Cokane

Cokane New Member

Apr 4, 2002
    Derry, Ireland (Resi
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Erm, Wales actually beat Italy not too long ago!!!

I think our defence would struggle against an attack of Bellamy, Hartson and Giggs. I'd prefer Scotland. They are simply crap at the minute and, without overstating it, we'd blow them away if we had Duff and Keane fit and on form.

7. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States