Playoff Race

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Independence' started by Hoover, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Hoover

Hoover New Member

Oct 1, 2006
    The Independence have now probably clinched a playoff spot based on last night's outcome (at least 4th, for sure with 1 more team point) which is great news! Next up is the fight for home field advantage (with either a second or third place finish).

The next two games are huge for the team (NJ, BOS) and getting more points would be very helpful in the playoff race.

More likely battles are PHL/BOS for second place and then WASH/NJ battle for 4th. Should be an exciting wkend of soccer.

2. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Thats great but I'm still not counting out a possible first place finish. We are currently 6pts back plus FCGP have a game in hand but they still have to play the independence and breakers as the 2 last games. Things could get interesting to say the least :).

3. pasoccerdad

pasoccerdad Member

Mar 17, 2008
    KOP
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I am hoping for the upstarts to get the Finals at home

4. phillypride

phillypride Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be amazing!!! I had thought FCGP was too far away to catch, but that's totally doable!

5. unionchris

unionchris Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boston's loss tonight means the Cheesesteaks can be 8 points up with a win tomorrow and almost assure at least a home playoff game. Time for a Sky Blue Sweep.

6. Hoover

Hoover New Member

Oct 1, 2006
    Yup, big game today for Philly and chance to grow the gap with Boston......but going to be a challenge without the Philly Euro's (see what happened to boston without their European players). This game will test the depth of this team.

First place finish is a big stretch (mathmatically possible but unlikely), but kudo's on your high goals. I think second place is the real battle for the remaining games.

7. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like it is lining up a lot like the Boston-Atlanta match--- Boston missing 3 starters for Euro duty (plus Osborne's injury....aaarrgghhh)- Atlanta only mising one of a possible 3.... Aluko making the difference in the game even though she only played the 2nd half....

Philly missing 3 key contributors, SBFC only one. Shaping up as a tough go for Philly, which means they will probably win 3-0 or something.... logic rarely prevails in this league!