Playoff Pregame/Postgame Discussion: LA at Rapids Friday (R)

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by The Legend, Oct 18, 2004.

1. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    What really impressed me was the last 15 minutes or so when LA couldn't even figure a way to regain possession. They couldn't handle Cila/Beckerman/Crawford and even Mastroeni/Borchers/Peguero keep-away game. It was sad to watch (though I was pulling for Colorado). I think LA is used to a more packed midfield and looked lost and out of place in their current system.

I think the Sampson hiring was a completely reactionary move to Chivas.

2. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    LA had the lion's share of chances. Rapids and Galaxy midfielders looked afraid to shoot the ball from the outside of the box, until Bekcerman finally uncorked one on the 70th-odd minute that forced a good save from Hartman. This lack of confidence and ability to shoot a ball more than 15 yards during the run of play is truly maddening.

Cannon did extremely well but it wouldn't be accurate to say he won this game for the Rapids. He made two very strong saves -- one of them such a quick reactionary save that the slow-mo replay on the jumbotron made it appear he was at regular speed -- but it was the Galaxy who missed their best opportunities that cost them the game.

Wide headers on set pieces, a Kirovski free kick that knicked the crossbar, and a far post chance that should have been a tap-in but was simply put wide... the Galaxy simply could not finish. Or in the case of Ruiz, stay on their feet.

What I felt the Rapids did very well was maintain good possession in their own midfield, moving and switching the ball quite well into space. Playing out of midfielder were far too many wasted balls dropped into the corner or crossed in to nobody at all.

Up top the Rapids were adequate. Neither Pedro nor Cila were particularly inspiring, and as much as the score sheet will credit the Haitian with the goal it was a result of his teammates' effort on the corner (specifically, Borchers cranking a shot and forcing Hartman into a save) that caused the ball to drop to his feet, 6 yards out. Delgado continues to be an utter embarassment.

In the back I felt the Rapids were quite solid, and Borchers handled Ruiz extremely well. He seemed to be communicating very well with Cannon, something I always like to see between a goalkeeper and a central defender. I'd go with Nat as my MVP in this one.

The playoffs are a time to throw everything out of the window, whether that means skill, style or even basic soccer. It's a cup match and all that matters is getting the result and the Rapids did just that. Galaxy fans can cry in their beer all they want and point at the Rapids as being a "crap" team, but that doesn't change the fact that we're headed to LA needing only a draw.

Kudos to the Rapids for a strong outing.

3. smudgeyjoe

smudgeyjoe Member

Dec 15, 2001
    Westminster Colorado
    Interesting insight from last night is that right from the beginning Moreno and Ruiz were at each other's throats. I don't know if this is related to the new strategy that LA is using offensively. I sit in Section 107 Row 9, directly in front of where LA was setting up offensively. Before 5 minutes had gone by, the two were cussing, yelling, and fuming at each other. Whatever the case was, they definitely were not on the same page!!!! :)

4. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    Another fun insight that had me chuckling a little bit was the notion that for the last 15 minutes of the game, LA's backline consisted of Califf and three defensive converts: Marshall, Albright and Broome were all forwards in college :)

5. sacrxy

sacrxy BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 6, 2003
    So there is one less Norte Americano who can hablas Espanol for the goats to choose from? Sampson didn't set the 98 US MNT on fire; didn't set Costa Rica on fire; and isn't setting the LAG on fire. What was Hamilton thinking?? He does seem more fit than Sigi and is less likely to have a coronary on the sideline. See you at the next round.

6. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    I think part of the idea was to play a less-European style since Chivas USA has been said to plan on a Chivas-like style. Also to speak directly to the Spanish-speaking media. Not to "steal" him from Chivas USA.

That was what I think Hamilton was thinking. Not sure it will work out.

7. slarockk

slarockk New Member

Feb 19, 2001
    Southern California

I saw that too....it was sad to see as a Galaxy fan. Colorado on the other hand looked composed and gelling as a team. A very deserved win. It brings memories of 98 to my memory of US players angry with each other, their coach, and blaming everyone but themselves while on the field.....IMO that is what happens when you tinker with a system of play that works and start replacing the players who worked hard all season to get to the big stage.....sound like the US 98 team?

8. smudgeyjoe

smudgeyjoe Member

Dec 15, 2001
    Westminster Colorado
    I agree Slarrock!!! It really made no sense to get rid of Sigi unless there was something going on behind the scenes that we didn't know about. Sampson is an adequate coach, but he has never set the world afire with the teams he has coached. Given the way the MLS works, I always wonder if there aren't greater powers involved in these kinds of decisions. LA has been successful and was playing well under Sigi. It makes no sense, but from our point of view, I'm glad. They have been going downhill ever since he left. :confused:

9. Riccardo55

Riccardo55 Member+

Mar 11, 2001
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1-0

A nice win with our vaulted, defense first, hope the other side can't finish style of play. Now to LA and a bunker game to win the series in a 1-0 aggragate Rapids win. Although boring, in playoffs and World Cup Qualifiers, this is a popular approach. Since we've played this way all year, it should pay dividends now in the defense oriented playoffs.

The trouble is what to do if LA scores.....they will put up a better fight in LA, but let's hope they continue to be unorganized...We haven't been a come-from-behind team at all, having given away wins and ties a bit too regularly. I recall the last playoff loss to LA, where we had Musa Shannon to come off the bench to turn defeat into victory. I hope we've a better plan this year if plan A (0-0 or 1-1 game at LA) fails.

RLH

10. Rapids/Arsenal Fan

Mar 8, 2001
    Denver, CO USA
    Re: 1-0

Playing for draw is NEVER a good idea, in my opinion. It rarely works out, especially on the road. The best defense is a good offense. We need to come out playing attacking soccer, but cautious and smart enough to hold possession not to get caught off guard. The clock is out biggest enemy at this point.

But asking for a team to "give it their best shot, we'll try to block all of them" is not a good idea.

11. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: 1-0

Yeah, we can't go into LA thinking, "all we need is a draw." If the team is coached that way and plays that way they will sit back and get hammered. Attacking is one way to keep the ball out of your half. Without any attacking play the Rapids will have too many shots to contend with. The boys must go out there and play to win.

12. Riccardo55

Riccardo55 Member+

Mar 11, 2001
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    0-0

Aww, shucks...

I was being a bit sarcastic having fairly regularly trash-talked our anemic approach to offense this season. I think we should take it to them, too. Of course, we've not tended to do that all frickin year. Guess I shoulod have been more obvious in my dislike of our coach's style :)

Ask yourself, "What would Hanki do?"
    Answear: Play for a 0-0 tie, most likely.

We'll see.

On a side note, let's hope we give LA one more chance to fear Spencer, even if it's a last few minutes sub.

RLH

13. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, KC just lost to San Jose 2-0....

SO WE REALLY NEED TO TAKE IT TO L.A.!!

If we can hold on to our league and play some solid attacking football in L.A. next weekend it's a real possibility that we could have the western conference finals here in Denver!!

Let's go Rapids!!

14. phills

phills Member

Nov 24, 1999
    On a side note, let's hope we give LA one more chance to fear Spencer, even if it's a last few minutes sub.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You are probably also one who thinks de la torre should be starting! Leave the lineup just the way it is ...It was very entertaining soccer on Friday-

15. smudgeyjoe

smudgeyjoe Member

Dec 15, 2001
    Westminster Colorado
    Just a quick question: seeing that San Jose won today, would I be right in thinking that if we beat LA and they beat KC, we would be playing the conference finals here in Denver!!!! Hope Hope Hope???? Would that last ticket in our season ticket package work for that match??? :D

16. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

:confused: :confused:

17. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    Yes indeed.

18. nowar99

nowar99 Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Boulder
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I have to imagine that saturday's game is going to be bunker-ball city for the Rapids, relying on Joe Cannon to be God-Man (small Ruben Bolling reference :) in the nets.

In fact, I suspect that its going to look a LOT like we are playing down a man, countering only when LA is caught off guard.

The better strategy is to play like we did on Friday, and take the game to LA as much as we can.

But we have Hankinson as our coach.

19. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The next series will be another set of home and away games so I think we'll get one of them. IFRC only the final is one game. So if the Rapids can beat LA, that last ticket will get used.

20. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The best case scenario for the Rapids would be to score early and force LA to score 3 goals on Cannon to advance. I have my doubts that Hanki will have the team playing that aggressively, but that will be the best way to ensure that the Rapids leave LA with a trip (hopefully a home game vs. San Jose) to the conference finals in hand.

I realize LA had a four goal lead last year against San Jose before eventually losing, but we have Cannon in goal and a strong defense. I feel relatively confident that the Rapids will not surrender 3 goals to LA, but I don't feel so good about 2 goals. The Rapids need to score at least one goal to assure themselves of passing on to the next round.

21. jdonnici

jdonnici Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Westminster, CO
  22. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks jdonnici, I stand corrected. I thought I remember last year having another home and away in the conference final. Here's hoping it is SJ and CO. And that the Rapids can actually sell some tickets if it comes to that.

23. gschroeder

gschroeder Member

Jun 18, 2001
    Thornton, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    At the risk of jinxing all that could be, How does it work if they make it to the final? Tickets are already on sale but by the time we know who is in, how many will be left?

Is there a section left unsold for each team?

24. jdonnici

jdonnici Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Westminster, CO
    I think you're right in that last year was a two-game conference final. For the most part, I've put 2003 out of my mind... and am hoping not to have to do the same with 2004. I think Nowar99's right, though... Saturday could very well be the epitome of bunker-ball.

25. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    My impression of the game was this: Rapids came out well, they put forth a strong team effort and a determination to score. LA came out flat and unorganized. LA certainly blew their hand full of chances ... but the Rapids seemed to dominate possession.

Rapids, despite having the majority of possession and the better determination, didn't generate squat for chances. Luckily they got a real nice header from Nat that Pedro banged in.

The defense looked pretty good MOST of the game ... and when they didn't MVP Joe continued to show us why he quickly replaced Spencer as the teams identity.

I feel positive about going to LA. I was hoping for two goals, but the Rapids defense is pretty well organized. Couple that with the face that LA hasn't looked good even PRIOR to Sampson taking over ... I feel good.

And I feel even better that SJ seems like they may be able to win thier series allowing us one more passion filled game.

Lets Go Rapids!