Playoff Clinch Scenarios

Discussion in 'Boston Breakers' started by Andy Crossley, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Andy Crossley

Andy Crossley Member

Oct 23, 2007
    Courtesy of today's WPS Weekly email:

Boston Breakers – Has a few different ways to clinch playoff berth. The most obvious is that Boston can clinch a playoff berth with a tie between Chicago and Washington on Thursday, combined with a win on Saturday. Can also clinch with a win on Saturday combined with a Washington loss on Thursday and a Chicago loss or tie on Sunday.

2. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great stuff!

Possibly clinching at "home" with 4 games left afterwards.... who woulda thunk it?

Back in June I honestly never ever thought there was any chance we would be having this conversation this year..... Kudos to you and the team (including legendarycoachtonydiccio) for getting it together in such an impressive fashion! Not just getting results, but looking real good doing it!

3. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3-eavMSBnk&feature=related"]YouTube- Playoffs??? The Sound Byte[/ame]

:p

4. Andy Crossley

Andy Crossley Member

Oct 23, 2007
    Don't shoot the messenger, Revs Fan 1. I am but a humble intermediary, just passing along the words of the WPS media department.

5. Weymouth Dave

Weymouth Dave Member

Mar 4, 2001
    Weymouth
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I write said Washington v Chicago match is available from the Red Stars Webpage. Remarkably clear.

6. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Chicago couldn't contain the explosive Freedom offense :rolleyes: well enough to even manage a tie.
    On to Plan B for clinch scenarios.

7. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Washington is not cooperating....

Too bad, for us anyway, that Chicago is a horrible side...

Luckily there are still 5 matches to be played!

8. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really, the best way for Boston to clinch a playoff spot is to take care of their own business. If they win their games, the rest takes care of itself.

9. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed, the scenarios decribed in the WPS newsletter were predicated on them winning, in combo with other results. Would have been nice to see them clinch this weekend with a win, but Chicago blew that for us :(

The memory of last year's collapse out of a playoff spot by losing the last 4 games is still a bitter one............

10. Dartsoc

Dartsoc New Member

May 16, 2004
    Yes it was ......................

11. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate talking about playoffs before they're set...but since this thread is already here....

Women's Professional Soccer Weekly - Week 19

Boston can also clinch under a few complex scenarios. A loss or tie by Washington and a loss or tie by Atlanta combined with a win on Sunday by the Breakers would guarantee them a spot in the 2010 WPS Playoffs. Boston cannot clinch a home playoff game this weekend.

12. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From STH email...

Stadium Update

Meanwhile, the Breakers front office is close to announcing a venue for the two potential playoff home dates.

Should the Breakers finish in third place, they would host the WPS First Round match on Sunday, September 19th at 2:30 PM.

Should the Breakers finish in second place, they would host the WPS Super Semifinal on Thursday, September 23rd at 7:30 or 8:00 PM.

The Breakers traditional home at Harvard Stadium is not available on either date due to pre-existing university commitments. Breakers management is currently negotiating with two Boston-area stadiums, including a new soccer-specific venue on the Harvard Stadium grounds, as alternative sites capable of hosting these matches.

“No outlying venues beyond greater Boston are currently under consideration,” said General Manager Andy Crossley. “We are close to finalizing our playoff hosting arrangements and hope to make an announcement of our venue in the next 7-10 days.”

I assume Nickerson and White stadiums???

Where's the SSS on Harvard grounds?? And why haven't we played every match there?? Ohiri Field??

13. mskenny

mskenny Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Ashland, MA
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So much for giving up the last "home" game at Harvard so we could have a playoff game. Every time I wander by Ohiri Field on the way back to my car after a Breakers game, I wonder why they don't work with Harvard and build a stadium there. It would be good for Harvard to have a soccer stadium for its teams and good for the Breakers as well. Of course, there's always that minor issue of money...

14. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The SSS is the construction site where we used to park and tailgate. Supposed to be ready for play in the next couple weeks.

15. Andy Crossley

Andy Crossley Member

Oct 23, 2007
    There was never a quid pro quo about giving up the last game (8/21) at Harvard Stadium in order to have a playoff game. I am not sure where you got this impression.

The fact of the matter is that at the time that the Breakers signed a three-year lease at Harvard Stadium in spring 2008, the WPS regular season ended before 8/15. Following the 2009 season, WPS owners voted to extend the season by one month. Which is great for everyone else, but leaves the Breakers with major challenges after college football practice resumes in mid-late August.

Harvard is currently putting the finishing touches on a soccer-specific stadium (no football lines) in the area SocFanDan references back where our main parking area used to be. The exact capacity is not determined yet, but is 3K or less. Thus, while it might be a great venue for a playoff match - potentially a sold out one - it is not a long-term solution for us, given that the team is currently averaging 4,500 fans per game and needs to continue growing that number to remain viable.

We are looking at one other possibility as well, but hope to have this resolved shortly.

Andy

16. mskenny

mskenny Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Ashland, MA
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got it from you, at the "Meet the Coach" event before the season, though admittedly you never said it was a done deal. My impression from you was that Harvard was willing to negotiate. I apologize.

17. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Really! Very nice!

Please tell me there are stands behind the goal....and that Riptide will be stationed there!

:D

18. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If not, might I suggest putting temporary bleachers there....much like the "old" Breakers did for big matches at Nickerson.....

That would be EPIC! :D

19. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Posted this on the WPS boards but really don't expect any "official" answer....Maybe Andy can provide some insight on the minds of the WPS schedule makers....

WPS Playoff scheduling sucks!

I understand the need for a midweek match but why penalize the "Super Semifinalists" by making the winner finish a match at 10pm on the east coast on Thursday night and play a final at 11:30am on the west coast on Sunday???

Why wouldn't they have schedule #4 at #3 on Wednesday/Thursday the 15th/16th with the "Super Semifinal" on Sunday the 19th giving a full week of rest before the Championship match.....

Who runs this league Antonucci or Fox Soccer Channel??

:eek:

20. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [tangent]

Actually, I don't think it is all that great for most people. The players/coaches had to work longer for the same amount of pay (ie pay cut for total time worked and it cuts into the ability to be NCAA assistants). The sporting landscape is very crowded in the fall meaning less attention and very possibly less attendance. In addition to your stadium lease issues.

I just hope the owners realize that they must break for the WWC next year and that Sept is not great for league games. And I'd definitely cut the All-Star game next year--save money, time, and energy. The WWC is the "All-Star" event extraordinaire.

Andy, I'm just spouting off and don't really expect any sort of response. I realize it isn't something you, as a team employee, can speak publicly about.

[/tangent]