Playoff Chances

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by futbolpaul, Oct 18, 2009.

1. Diceson

Diceson Member

Dec 21, 1999
    I was wondering the same thing after the game.

My assumption would be the #5 (3rd in the West) would be #3 in the West, #6 (4th in West) would be #3 in the East, #7 (5th in West) would be #4 in West, #8 (6th in West) would be #4 in East.

In that case, it's very possible that if DC United were #2 they would be hosting the #6 team, who would have a better record than United.

It all makes perfect sense.

2. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The "wildcard" teams should have to play each other first to see who gets a crack at the automatic-bid teams. There is no tangible incentive to finish on top the way this sets up now.
    I am a fan of some "wildcard" berths, mind you, but the way they chose to do this is odd.

There is no way CumBlowus or (whoever is in front in the West) should have to play anyone in the first week, the higher seeded of the wildcard teams should host the lower seeded ones to determine who gets to play the top guys, and maybe even the second-tier guys depending on the number of "wild cards". I'd go with 2 (one quarter of total teams), they went with 4 (half).

3. Marco10

Marco10 Member+

Sep 9, 2002
    To make it less confusing, the teams are only seeded in terms of conference, not overall. So, the fifth and sixth place West teams would become the third and fourth East teams.

However, if DC finishes two in the East, there will not be six West teams advancing. In order for six West teams to advance, RSL has to beat Colorado, and all the other East teams tie, so everybody has 40, then the Fire will advance and so will RSL and Colorado who own the tiebreakers in that scenario.

Seriously, this is interesting. The Fire could finish second in the East, or be out altogether if they lose and more than two other teams finish with 42 (unless one of those teams is TFC, which is the only team they hold the tiebreaker on. They tie FCD on points head to head, but Dallas would have a better overall GD if they win and Fire lose.)

DC is in the same boat and can pretty much only finish second in the East or not qualify at all. If Chicago loses and DC wins, DC is second no matter what. If Chicago advances, DC must win AND have Dallas win. If Dallas loses or ties, DC cannot win any tiebreaker scenarios with any combination of teams at 42. DC would then only advance if NE, TFC, and Colorado all lose or tie too.

Colorado doesn't really matter as that score only determines how many West teams there will be. If they win they will qualify and three East teams will go, but DC can only be that third team if Dallas wins and is the only other team to make 42. If COlorado lose or even tie, then RSL has a shot to go if there's a log jam at 39 or 40 as they hold quite a few tiebreakers over most combinations of teams.

And obviously, some ties thrown in ties make things even more interesting.

Bottom line, it's going to be a wild last day. I doubt MLS could have scripted it to be any tighter. But, I'll bet they wish more teams had put themselves in these positions for playing well as opposed to backing into an equal number of other teams sucking wind too.

1 person likes this.
  4. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    if we win, and chicago loses there could be 6 teams from the west
    nd could there be 6 teams from the west moving on also if
    New England to lose at Columbus.
    Real Salt Lake beats Colorado.
    FC Dallas draws Seattle.
    chicago loses at chivas
    toronto loses to NY

that would put west teams at 40 and above, and east teams at 39

5. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    [​IMG]

6. Marco10

Marco10 Member+

Sep 9, 2002
    OK, bear with me, if we win and the Fire lose there cannot be six teams from the West. Chicago will have 42, DC will have 42, even if RSL and Colorado tie that's only 41 for Colorado and 38 for RSL, so one of them is out because two East already have 39. Even if RSL wins, RSL would go through on the mulitple team tiebreaker because they have more points versus Colorado at 40, plus TFC and NE but it doesn't matter. If three East teams go, only five West teams can possibly go, and if we win, only Colorado can catch us. RSL winning only gives them 40 and they are out because four teams from the West have already qualified.

Bottom line, Columbus, Houston, LA, Chivas, and Seattle are all in the playoffs right now. There are only three playoff spots left. Fire have 42, Colorado have 40, and everyone else is scrapping for the remains ( TFC, NE, DC, and Dallas with 39).

So, if DC wins and the Fire lose, we beat CHicago for the top spot left which would be second in the East. Unless Colorado wins, and then we get the third place slot in the East, as long as TFC and NE lose. If either of them win, we are out if Colorado wins too.

It really is relatively simple and this tiebreaking procedure is not really that hideous if you think about it.
    First tiebreaker is points versus all the teams you are tied with. Second is goal differential, third is goals scored, then on to road records, goals scored etc.

Also, once you qualify a team, you revert back to step one for the rest of the teams tied, and so on. Pretty simple, I don't know why some think there is two sets of rules for different scenarios. There is only one set. If you win the mulitple team tiebreaker, the teams left do a mulitple team tiebreaker, unless it is only two teams, then they do the two team tiebreaker. How is that confusing?

I can see where you would say it's possibly unfair, ala DC advancing much easier if the Fire are a team they tie with, but honestly, how else would you decide multiple teams being tied at the end of the season if not this system?

7. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Points per game, not points.

8. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Are we there yet?
    Are we there yet?
    Are we there yet?
    Are we there yet?
    Are we there yet?
    Are we there yet?
    Are we there yet?
    Are we there yet?
    Are we there yet?
    Are we there yet?
    Are we there yet?
    Are we there yet?
    Are we there yet?
    Are we there yet?
    Are we there yet?
    Are we there yet?
    Are we there yet?

9. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I find this very confusing.

I agree that, in principle, this is a fairer method for determining who gets in, since it emphasizes results against your direct competitors. Beating up on RB, while fun, shouldn't determine who gets into the playoffs.

It's the resetting of values after the first tiebreaker that my puny brain can't seem to accept. I don't disagree with the principle, I just can't stay focused long enough to do the calculation.

10. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    now who wants to figure out potential 1st round matchups for everyone under each scenario?
    lol

11. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    and what date DCU is hosting their opponent....

12. Black.White&Red

Sep 9, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    ...and more importantly who is bringing what to the tailgate...

13. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most important thing really is whether we host the first game or the second, because that will probably determine if it's a weeknight or a weekend, and that determines the chances I can go.

If I dare to believe.

14. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    i vote for LA....i know not possible, but damn i want some in n out (yes JSF take that anyway you want)

15. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Possible playoff dates are as follows:

Conference Playoffs

Two game Home & Away Series – Winner determined on aggregate

1st Seed vs. 4th Seed

2nd Seed vs. 3rd Seed

Lowest seed hosts first game
    First games to be played on 10/29, 10/31 or 11/1

Second games to be played on 11/5, 11/7 or 11/8
    Winning teams advance to Conference Championships

Conference Championships

Single game played at highest seed home field
    Games played on either 11/12, 11/14 or 11/15
    Winning teams advance to MLS Cup 2009

MLS Cup 2009 – November 22, 5:30 PM PST @ Qwest Field - Seattle, Washington

16. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    DC normally gets the Thursday night games that go up against the World Series. It has pissed me off the past couple of years. ESPN likes having Virginia Tech on those nights because they get good ratings for Thursday Night College Football up against the World Series. I already have tickets for the next two Thursday night games(@ VT and @ ECU).

17. Section106

Section106 Member

May 1, 2003
    Hampton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well the Cook brothers told me United were going to the playoffs at the Redskins debacle this past Sunday. So the team has that going for them.