Playoff bound finally

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by blank25, Oct 16, 2005.

1. blank25

blank25 Member

May 18, 2002
    bergen county
    The game was truly nerve wracking. Chivas had so many openings to put the nails in our coffin but couldn't find a way to hammer us. At times this year I thought Meola was definitely ready for the retirement couch with Vinny testaverde but he played a truly inspired game Sunday. The metros had 2 many shots they should have made but all is forgiven by the goals by bradley & guevara.
    I only wish to know why the game isn't going to be televised on tv next week. I hope I am wrong about this.

2. Sinter

Sinter New Member

Oct 12, 2003
    New York City, U.S.A
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    simply amazing that they made it.

3. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our MetroMos have a chance. Mo's tactics of driving everything offensively up the middle of the field drove Chivas and the announcers nuts. Who would have thought we would use our Bob strategy here? New england will be swept by us.

4. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    How far can you be from the stadium, living in Bergen County?
    Come on down!

5. MLS Insider

MLS Insider New Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Seriously, can we get a show of hands? How many of you thought a month ago that Metros would make it to the playoffs? There must be some of you brave enough to admit you had given up hope.

6. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    I gotta say I was waiting for the 91st minute tying goal from Chivas.

7. VOwithwater

VOwithwater New Member

Oct 17, 2005
    I didn't think we would make the playoffs, and that was crazy because the team had the players to make the playoffs. Now we have to work on cutting the opponents shots on goal down to continue.

8. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    I was certain we wouldn't make it: we have good players, but no team, was my view. Heroic individual effort, and major team-work failures; when there was a semblance of cohesion, an individual would fail to mark or fail to score a sitter -- and we would fail to get full points or even a point.

After getting wiped 4-1 at home -- and at the feet of the despised DC Black Shirts -- I was ready to buy a Rough Riders season ticket for 2006.

Now, I really want us to get past New England for another crack at DC, but if this really is NE's year, I hope Chicago treats DC like so much meat going through the stock yards, and goes on to the Conference Final.

Most of all, I hope it will be us in the Final.

(Are the stock yards still open in Chicago? When I was growing up there in the 50s, the perfume was unmistakable.)

9. sanariot

sanariot Member

Nov 19, 2001
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After that loss to DC I thought this team was done. I'm glad I was wrong.

10. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You wouldn't be a Metro fan if you weren't

11. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    same here, never more happy to be wrong...

12. SlowFox

SlowFox Member

Aug 16, 1999
    The question is not "WOULD make it to the playoffs". There was no way to know and it would have simply been speculation. COULD make it to the playoffs is relevant; I think I mentioned, with few games to go, that it could be done and I'm sure many others felt that way as well, whether they said it or not.

It's really no big deal either way; anyone who's watched sports for any length of time knows the worm turns many times during a season. Fact is, we played pretty consistently (mediocre) and were just fortunate KC played worse. Not to say we didn't "deserve" it, nevertheless fortunate in that regard.

=NLK=

13. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    I lost hope twice: after the Rochester loss and then two weeks ago after the home loss to DC. The playoff scenarios seemed to me utter pipe dreams.

Mo and Meola played a few head games with their comments about the Wiz, didn't they?

14. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We made it because KC collapsed combined with our surge. We could not have done it alone. KC may have been distracted by a possible sale of the team and/or relocation.

Making the playoffs for us and for MLS was the best antidote for that bad performance in front of 27K fans. No matter what happens from here on out, the 2005 team has made a name for itself. Congratulations to the players, coaches and management, but most of all, to all the die-hard fans.

15. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    GO TO THE GAME! You can't be more than 15 minutes away...

16. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Given the utter lack of karma this team has, if Kansas City had scored thirty-one goals in two minutes of stoppage time against FCD to clinch the last playoff spot I wouldn't have been surprised.

17. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never gave up hope, but I was not the happiest fan this past month. :eek:

18. Kelly Hrdina

Kelly Hrdina Member

RBNY
    United States
    Oct 22, 2001
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A few months ago I figured that there was no way we could miss the playoffs.

Then I thought that there was no way that we could make the playoffs.

After Guevara scored last night, I figured that we might have a chance after all. Before that, though, I was waiting for Romo to put us away.

19. lfcli30

lfcli30 Member

Jun 21, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that we're in, it is our civil duty to pack the lower bowl of Giants Stadium. Metro came up clutch, they deserve to be playing in front of a loud, big raucous crowd at home. Mighty Mo and the Metros, why not us?

Hala-Metro.

20. kerowack

kerowack Member

May 14, 2004
    Patchogue, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be there for the first time this year. Money has been tight and I was pouring it all into beach weekends this summer. I've seen everygame, but it's the first time in three years that I wasn't at at least 6 games.

I'm pumped that they're still around now that I have a little "support" money.

The trek from Patchogue, Long Island will be worth it after we win 3-1(giving them a goal because I'm a nice guy).

21. LESTER

LESTER New Member

Nov 4, 2002
    NYC
    I'll be there as always, but I'd bet my house (if I owned one) that the crowd is less than 15k, and probably not more than 10k if you're counting actual people in the stands.

22. lfcli30

lfcli30 Member

Jun 21, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm driving in from Huntington myself, and you are right, it will most certainly be a haul. Let's hope people get off their arses and get down to the stadium.

23. irishapple21

irishapple21 Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    You call that a trek? I'm coming from Saratoga Springs, NY and I wouldn't miss this for the world!

SOY DEL METRO! :D

24. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    Man I can't wait for this one. Every time METRO does something to squash my enthusiasm (getting destroyed by DC and only getting a draw against the Fire after leading by goals for 90 minutes to name 2) then do something to re-energize me. ​
    I don't think we stand much of a chance against New England. We have been getting results, but have not been playing good soccer. NE is a good team yada yada yada. I can't wait to see if they can pull off an upset though. Can't wait.... ​

25. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holy highway, batman! That's 1 hour driving for every 30 minutes of soccer. You just made my grumbling at traffic delays (causing me to double my 10 minute trip) all a bit excessive. Well, I guess I'll have to save my vitriol for the refs as usual. (Sorry Dr. K & NYfutbolfan, but a zebra can't change his stripes no matter how many cards you show me!)