Playing Time for Jeff Cunningham

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by notebook, Jul 30, 2002.

1. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember not wanting to join BS because I came across threads that were utterly ridiculous and not related to Crew in the slightest...

MN was crawling with idiots... that migrated to BS Crew, which ultimately has brought down this place. (except Timon... because well he's Timon)

2. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey look... Is that Janus Magnusson?

3. NUFCBayern

NUFCBayern Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Ha, wow, I forgot it was thefacebook.com. I think I joined around Nov 2004...months after I joined BS.

4. ferrigamo

ferrigamo Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Springfield, Ohio
    Yesterday, I tried to show an example of a gaming system from when I was a kid, but I could not find the pictures online, so I guess that they are so old that they have even been lost in history. It was an atari and I want to say an atari 64, but when I tried to look it up a trs-80 popped up and I began to remember when I had my 286 upgraded to a 386 and when I used to make fun of people who only had 300 baud modems while I flew along at 14.4k baud!!!!!!!! I didn't even had to plug the phone receiver onto the modem. I just plugged the phone line directly into it! Life was good, or so I thought!

Just think, when kids were born around the start of the league, these same kids are in high school now!

5. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Wow, you are so old you can't even search the Interwebs.

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&...atari+gaming+console&gbv=2&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=

http://www.atarimuseum.com/videogames/

EDIT: I think you were looking for the Jaguar.

http://www.atarimuseum.com/videogames/consoles/jaguar/jagmenu/jagmenu.htm

Its the only one I can see that references 64.

EDIT: EDIT: BTW, This was my first gaming console.
    http://www.atarimuseum.com/videogames/dedicated/homepong.html

6. JB the First

JB the First Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you don't like it, you can move to Canada ;)

7. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's how I remember it:

The "first wave" of Crew fans on the boards were the original supporters groups. As they started to get into graduate school, they started to post with less frequency. I think it was about 2001 into 2002 that the "second wave" started to increase. Remember when thecrew.com had the original black background, then they went to the white background with the "Ultimate Bulletin Board / VBulletin" stuff circa 2002? Around then was when they got all the high-school kiddies.

The original idea was to have a network of MLS fansites with a common "umbrella" site. There was CrewFan.com, WizardsFan.com, and I think RevsFan.com. (The Revs site is still around...kind of.)

When the "original guys" left BigSoccer, they sent an email out. I don't remember the exact content, but I think it had something to do with the admins of BigSoccer wanting to take their project, which originally focused on MLS & US Soccer to more of a global focus. This didn't sit too well with them, and the Crew guys went to be part of the Rivals.com network. The numbers that Crew fans brought to that network made the "Rivals.com people sit STRAIGHT UP in their chairs." (Rivals.com is now part of Yahoo.) CrewFan then went to a site at RedBird.net, then eventually folding into what became MN.

Most of Shane's work at thecrew.com certainly seemed passable, especially compared to the league-run disaster of a website now. The localsports.net disaster was the worst, and luckily, that didn't last too long. I think it was Bill Archer who was on business down near where their "offices" were, and he said it was one step above a modular trailer. I haven't heard from Shane in a long time.

8. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The more things change, the more they stay the same.

9. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ouch... I had not been on there for very long before I discovered BS, maybe a month or two... but then again I'm a relative nooB when it comes to the time some of you have been fans. But, I was around before the bandwagon hit, so I guess there's something to be said for that... ;)

10. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    http://www.archive.org/

You can see archived versions. Some were *very* bad.

11. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I started out on RSS and then RSS-NA (or whatever it was called--it's been a long time). Then the NA-Soccer mailinglist was set up (I wonder what ever happened to the Good Perfesser, Chris Allen--I know the official Team of NA-Soccer, Gresley Rovers, eventually went bankrupt and died but were reborn with a slighly different name). After a few years the digest became, well, indigestible, and after a bit I ended up on MN until the end... and then found my way over here. A long strange trip....

12. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember MN well.

Didn't Matt B. try to start a new site "Hunt Park Insider" that never really got going. I think real life kind of got in the way. No posts since 2009.

13. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It's hard to reinvent the wheel when the old one is rolling merrily along.... BS has it's good points and bad points--but it works pretty well.

14. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This guy??

15. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that was originally Fid and a few others. IIRC, some guys wanted a site in which to ask the "hard questions" and question the then-FO in ways the official site couldn't. (I remember someone posting something along those lines.)

Here's an old thread talking about what became known as HPI. Fid eventually gave it up to Matt. Matt now appears to be part of Massive Report.

16. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That looks like him.... Good soccer guy.