Playing 11-a-side

Discussion in 'Player' started by garethchelsea, Nov 18, 2011.

1. garethchelsea

garethchelsea Member

Jul 6, 2006
    Lewes, UK
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hi guys and girls,
    I am apply for a job for football development, i need to find a way to increase football 11 vs 11 participation, i am looking into, if you dont play 11 vs 11 why not and what would make you want to? could you just write a little saying why you may not at the moment. If you do play 11-a-side but you know people who do not then why don't they.

Also if you have any ideas of how you might want to get people involved in football/soccer would be much appreciated.

This is also to people who do play 11-a-side and why you play it.

Thanks

2. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    It is not only the world's greatest game, its a great sport too. The key to enjoyment is keeping it fun. To do that the team coach has to eliminate any bickering. Nothing turns a fun time sour faster than a team mate griping at another about poor execution.

3. LuckyDay

LuckyDay New Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I played 11 a side football for over thirty years and loved every moment. If I still lived in the UK I would be playing in a veterans league, but where I live now there is no such thing so I would say that availability is a big factor in 11 a side participation.

4. YourSoccerMentor

YourSoccerMentor New Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Really good to see you trying to get others involved in Football. I think this is a tough question because it's hard to encourage or motivate someone to do something they don't want to be involved in.

Im sure everyone who does like to play Football, plays 11 a side. Unless they are old or overweight and prefer to run over short distances. 11 a side is the real game and any real player is playing it.

Best of luck. Keep me posted on your progress.

5. joaommx

joaommx Member+

Sep 27, 2009
    Lisboa
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I don't play 11-a-side because there aren't that many pitches that large around here, and most are very expensive to rent. Plus it's harder to find 21 players to play a pick up game than it is to find other 13 or 9.

It's has tiring to play on a 11-a-side pitch has it is to play on a 7-a-side or 5-a-side one. The only diference is that the smaller the field the faster the game is played.
    What's definitely more tiring is to play it on sand.

6. laure23

laure23 Member

Jun 30, 2010
    At what level?

I would reduce the playing time to 60 minutes or divide the match into 4 quarters for adult beginners.

2x45 minutes is too intense for the majority of players who aren't active.

I personally wouldn't participate in a regulation 11 a side game unless I know I'm physically fit. I wouldn't want to play with anybody who lacks fitness either.

PS Not implying that fitness isn't important for small sided games.

7. garethchelsea

garethchelsea Member

Jul 6, 2006
    Lewes, UK
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This is all good guy thanks.

In reply to the what level question, It would be at any level under semi-pro so people wanting to play things like Sunday league or people that have played and then dropped out. So any level really.

8. Vaporism

Vaporism Member

Dec 7, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I play an 11 a side game and a small sided game every week. They are both pick up games. I find that the biggest factor is players mood and fitness. Sometimes there will be two small sided games instead a week. Small sided we all see more of the ball, and some aren't fit enough to play full field that week.

If I had the choice I'd play two full pitch games because I feel small sided games I dont benefit with cardio. Small sided I definately benefit with ball skill.

9. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    In my men's league we'd have the max, 25, on our roster and it was a struggle to get 11 guys to show up on time. As adults you just have a ton of other responsibilities and soccer, unfortunately, must take a back seat.

The teams that won the leagues weren't always the most skilled, but it's a good group of players who could show up consistently that tended to win the league.

-I would increse the roster size. More players, more chance to field a team.
    -Find a way that people will RSVP electronically that they will attend the game.

10. laure23

laure23 Member

Jun 30, 2010
    Another thing I want to point out is that its possible to play with 12 or 10 a side without the game turning into a "catastrophe".

When you're dealing with non professional fitness level you can easily cut the playing time or play with more players. I think it should be flexible.