Players you want to see come to an Atlanta team:

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by Eleven Bravo, Apr 28, 2006.

1. Georgia Empire

Apr 27, 2006
    I would like to see this Bryan Dominguez guy on the team. well at least some time in the near future.

2. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well, with the DP rule now my idea wasn't completely crazy.

3. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the new DP rule...if Atlanta were to get a team in 2008 who would you pick:

my picks: Figo and Wanchope

4. ATL_Iron

ATL_Iron New Member

Jun 19, 2006
    Atlanta
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Means they have some of the financial ability to compete, But lets not get carried away. The crowds and turn over of the majority of MLS franchises are on a par with the Coca Cola Championship.

I still believe that the MLS needs to continue to grow as a league and increase its quality. That in turn will boost its world wide respect and will slowly over time attract quality players.

I still think that buying a load of has been players, while it will bring in more bums on seats will only lessen the stature of the league on the global scale. It will be seen as a retirement league a'la the 70's

The MLS is not and it needs to continue to promote that. The way forward is home grown talent, with continued improvement of coaching programs and facilities. More states joing up with the KINS program and so on.

Over time international and domestic results will improve which will attract bigger crowds, on top of that the continued growth of the latino population and the number of immigrants entering the country will see the sports popularity increase. and then see real quality players want to play here during their peak.

5. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well, hey i can see your logic (and could even agree) with not going after washed up superstars, but i think it'd be foolish not to use the DP on some players that could really help the team.

6. ATL_Iron

ATL_Iron New Member

Jun 19, 2006
    Atlanta
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Absolutely, you always want the best possible players you can afford in your team, no question.

The key however is can you attract them, because if they really are that good, you wont be the only one with the money looking at them.

7. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well hey for the sake of discussion...do you have any players in mind?

8. ATL_Iron

ATL_Iron New Member

Jun 19, 2006
    Atlanta
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Beckham is the only one that springs to mind, and thats because of non footballing reasons. A few seasons in CA will boost his own image here in the US, which would be good for him after he retires.

I could say Mark Noble, who is young and really talented, we keep loaning him out to championship sides. He has been at Ipswich, for a while. However for learning he would be better suited staying in the UK. So its a tough question.

Pick up a copy of FM2007 and start playing an MLS side, see who you can temp over. Let me know how you get one :D

9. MPoole

MPoole Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would want young upcoming tallent. If they then moved on to the EPL in a few years that would be fine, but I think that the DP rule could be motivation for some of the really good players to stay.

I would try for the new Brazilian sensation Pato (if he isn't bought away from International before then). I love the South American style of play. I believe, with the new money kicking in, that the MLS should be the new destination for great young Brazilian and Argentinian players. Who needs big european names when we can develop great american names. Let's make the US a travel destination for South American sports fans!

10. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    three players i know of from Georgia in the MLS combine list that stand a good chance of getting drafted: Zach Kirby, Kyle Helton, and Jared Kent.

11. BigKahuna

BigKahuna Member

Nov 30, 2004
    GA Boy in DC
    I used to play with Jared. Technically, a fanastic players but there are doubts about his physical ability.

12. LoLnow

LoLnow New Member

Aug 17, 2005
    Jared Kent played for the '82 United Quest in Kennesaw, Zach Kirby played for '85 United Quest, and Lawson Vaughn of Chivas USA played for '83 United Quest at one point. Another note: they all played for Cobb County high school teams Kent for Sprayberry, Kirby for Pope, and Vaughn for Lassiter. Seems Cobb county is turning out some good players. Also in 2002, Vaughn was voted Cobb County POY and in 2003 Kirby earned the same honor. Both are defenders as well.

13. BigKahuna

BigKahuna Member

Nov 30, 2004
    GA Boy in DC
    Yeah, I played for that '82 Quest team for 5 years. Didn't realize the others were from United, though.

14. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States