Players you once had respect for but lost through their actions

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Dark Savante, Dec 11, 2005.

1. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Totti. I don't really hate him but I thought he was the real deal. Since the Euro, I've realised that he is too focused on his looks than on playing football. If he can get off his a*r*s*e or lose his hair gel and play well at Germany 2006, maybe I'll respect him.

2. spoonman

spoonman Member

Sep 6, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I lose immidiate respect for anybody who tries to influence a ref to card someone.

3. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    so you dont respect any professional footballer. thats nice.

4. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    If you're referring to the 'card him' hand signal, I agree fully. I lost a lot of respect for Cristiano Ronaldo & Michael Essien when I saw them doing that earlier this season.

5. spoonman

spoonman Member

Sep 6, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Yeah, that type of behavior should't be accepted whatsoever in general.

6. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    i cant think of any players that havent done that to some degree.

7. spoonman

spoonman Member

Sep 6, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Then it's probably accepted in youre favorite league(s). I remember foreign players in the Dutch competion who where rediculed by the media and fans because they were asking for cards.

8. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    just look at players after theyre fouled hard, or theyre fouled in a scoring position or huge advantage position. even after the whistle, theyll look at the ref and put their arms out. thats the same as saying, youre not gonna give a card for that? that happens all the time in every league.

9. spoonman

spoonman Member

Sep 6, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Cmon, im talking about a certain handgesture wich specifically means "please please card somebody ref, don't care which colour."

10. gunner_21

gunner_21 New Member

Apr 15, 2002
    Cumberland, Maryland
    I would rather have a player do this after they're fouled hard then watch them dive all over the pitch trying to draw cards and fouls.

11. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    same difference. its just more pathetic what youre describing.

12. GRBomber

GRBomber Member

Sep 12, 2005
    Brasília - Brazil
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I don't like Veron very much.
    He is a great player, but behaves like a criminal.

13. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Beckham's kick was an automatic red card, regardless of what Simeone did that night. I actually disliked Beckham more for this incident after his PR machince turned Beckham into a victim. People talked about juctice in 2002. What juctice? Beckham retaliated after a foul by Simeone in front of the ref. The correct way to retaliate was to give a hard foul on Simeone 10 minutes later. Instead, Beckham just kicked at him while the ref was heading his way.... and he missed too. If he connected, he would have at least hurt Simeone.

Nevertheless, if Simeone failed to notice Beckham's retaliation and never fell down, Beckham would still get a red.

14. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    maybe, maybe not. but it was certainly a red card. whats worse was the dive that gave zola a red card against nigeria in the 1994 world cup quarter final. he didnt even touch the guy. still his red card stood and he got suspended by fifa. those bastards have no clue.

15. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    They're both as bad as each other.

That said, the easiest way to stop players gesturing for cards to be issued is to simply book anyone that makes that gesture - it would soon cut it out.

16. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    id definitely vote for that. and also treat dives the same as cards. a blatant dive to earn a card or penalty or just plain ass acting, give em a 5 game suspension without pay. i think most would stay on their feet if they knew itd cost them €200.000 or whatever.

17. mak9

mak9 Member

May 21, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    C. Ronaldo- because of his actions of the field (raping). I don't care if it happen or not, just for the fact that his name came up in such a crime made me lose respect.

Beckham- I blame him for all of RM's downfall.

Eto- His big mouth.

Totti- No explanation needed.

José Luis Chilavert- Spatting at Roberto Carlos.

18. Riker

Riker Member

Jan 26, 2005
    US
    No one will remember either the 98´ Final episode. Second half, Brazil down 0-2, a french player falls on the ground probably not a big deal. Rivaldo has the ball. What did he do? kicks it out of the field. Every player has ups and down. Hes not the "my face, my face" jackass. That was one isolated action. Bad for him billions were watching.

19. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Raul molested an infant, Casillas likes to choke preteen boys to death before they even get the chance to spit, and Zidane fvcks your woman on a regular basis.

Guess you've lost a tonne of respect for those three, then?

20. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid

In Central America, you sometimes see a player flying acrooss the field as if he was punched by another player. Once, I saw Joe-Max Moore got up and appeared not to be angry. He happened to rise his arm(not against anyone) and the guy next to him flew down on the ground as if he was punched. That was much worst than anything.

21. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    What if it was consent sex? It happened all the time on rape cases where the woman or the "victim" regretted it the morning after and reported as a rape. I had seen rape cases when I am 90% sure that the victim was lying. I am not defending C.Ronaldo, but I disagreed with you for saying that he lost respect becasue his name was associated with a rape. The world is not clear cut as you think. Of course, if he did rape someone, he lost my respect.

22. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Well, then why the incredible outrate I've been reading over the boards about him giving them the finger? They were afterall, rival fans of his old club.

23. Leto

Leto New Member

Aug 23, 2001
    Donegal,Ireland
    In other words you lost respect for him because he's famous. Good reasoning.

24. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Actually, his hometown club was doing everything they could to get the deal to go through for financial reasons. His tantrums have calmed down considerably this season, too. Of course, you did forget to metnion that he went on to win the YPotY award, score some absolutely sensational goals, and on a whole has been our best player on the team for the last 12-15 months.

Surely that's an exciting enough player to match your lofty standards? Then again, you Gooners are spoiled these days, with Cygan, Flamini & co just lighting things up.

I could go into the many shortcomings of this argument, but that would just be too time consuming. so I will leave it at this: Jay-Jay is 32-33 years old, whereas Rooney is 20.

25. Serb

Serb New Member

Oct 1, 2005
    Southern Ontario
    I actually like Veron's attitude.

He's not a dirty player, and doesen't shoot his mouth off that much, but he takes no ********, either.

Plus, he always gets into fights with the players taht I despise a lot (Kaka), so he gets extra points for that. :D