Players you once had respect for but lost through their actions

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Dark Savante, Dec 11, 2005.

1. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    The amount of respect I have for Roy Keane actually went up after he made his infamous comments about Man U and Alex Ferguson.

Believe it or not, but after Wayne Rooney broke his Premiership cherry with Everton and that incredible goal against Arsenal, I thought that he was exciting and worth watching. Then, he sold out his hometown club to join Manchester United, became a petulant tantrum thrower (well, okay, that started with Everton), and started fvkcing call girls who are older than his mother.

Plus, I can't stand how he gets praised for the many goals he misses as much as for those that he scores. That kid comes close more often than any player not named Jay-Jay Okocha

2. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    I know exactly what the rivalry is like. However that doesn't alter my post. He was abused all game and reacted to that, so for a Portugese fan to suddenly spit the dummy is quite ridiculous, as is the Keane comments. If we are just going to list players who have made a bad tackle against a player they hate or ones that have reacted to persistant fan abuse, then we are going to have a ridiculously long list. I'm sure that isn't what the intention of the thread was. Unless there is a specific reason that sets the player apart from others, like persistantly doing something or doing something extreme/shocking, then we could list just about every player to have played the game. Why bother?

3. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Not really surprising given the team you support. If you think he sold out Everton then you can point the finger at almost any player. As for the praise, it is down to the quality of his performances and goals. You lot really need to do better. This thread isn't to take the easy route and have a go at rival players for no good reason other than rivalry. :rolleyes:

4. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    The line about Okocha was a joke. I know that Rooney is a fantastic player. Now that Keane is gone, he's the best on Man United. No argument there.

He's also a petulant thug with a smart mouth and growing collection of cards, and he doesn't get booked half as often as he ought to. My original opinion stands: I used to be awed by him, but now I think he's just a brat with the typical Man United sense of entitlement.

5. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    So in other words your opinion is mainly based on the club he plays for and can therefore be considered irrelevant for the purpose of this thread.

6. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    Did you not see the part where I mention that he is a petulant thug with a growing collection of yellow cards? You probably didn't. Thus, you also likely missed where I noted that his tantrums started while he was at Everton.

7. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    He is in no way a thug and for you to accuse other players of that considering the previous disciplinary record involving Wenger is laughable. Shearer does more persistantly (as your own fans have complained) and the likes of Essien have done much worse, so why not mention them? Lots of players argue with the officials and lots are physical by their very nature, but that doesn't mean they merit mention in this thread. Read my reply to minorthreat.

8. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    I should also note that David Moyes limited Rooney's playing time, and at least part of his reason for doing so was Rooney's periodic dirty antics, IIRC.

For the record, on Man United:

Players I hate, don't respect, and think are vastly overrated: Ruud "tap in" van Nistelrooy, Rio Ferdinand.

Players I don't hate but think are overrated, if still quite talented: Ronaldo

Players I don't hate and think were once fantastic: Roy Keane.

Players I like, respect, and think were once great: Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes

Players I like, respect, and think are still great: van der Saar

9. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    The question regarded players that I once respected. I, as in me. I've been generally indifferent to Shearer, and I knew jack ******** about Essien before he joined Chelsea, so it's kind of hard for me to have gained much respect for him before he started slicing down players as if they weeds.

You know what? Pires has taken a few dives in his time. And Rooney is a petulant twit. It's not my fault that you're blinded by your love for him.

Finally, Wenger's disciplinary record has never been as bad as conventional wisdom would suggest. It does strike me as funny that the persons who cry about this the loudest also happen to support a team whose recent success on the field has fallen well short of what would be expected, considering how many millions of dollars they've outspent Arsenal by.

10. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Read my reply to minorthreat again and stop trying to hijack the thread with your anti-Man Utd bullshít.

11. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    I read it again, and I stand by my original assessment. Rooney has persistently been a petulant twat, dating all the way back to his Everton days. How often do I have to repeat this?

And why do you care? Your team is listed as Livingston. :rolleyes:

12. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    rivaldo are the only player i used to respect but dont any more. no one will remember what he did for brazil and barca in 20 years. all theyll remember is that hes a fvcking clown. i hate keane, but i respect him. atleast hes not a cheat. ive never had any respect for rooney so he cant get any lower then he is now. gattuso is getting there fast.

13. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Sol Campbell

Not only did I respect him, I worshipped him.

Sadly he lied to us, betrayed us and went to our biggest rivals.

I still consider him one of the best centre-backs in the world, and one of the best ever, but I hate him for it.

14. Legionista

Legionista New Member

Dec 12, 2005
    Warszawa/Toronto
    im surprised that no one before me mentioned my "favourite" football player. for me hes no.1 choice for this thread and leaves anybody else by light years. that lousy load of sh**. a hopeless case, pathetic and worst of it all a TRAITOR! who is that? luis figo :mad:

15. arthur d

arthur d Member

Oct 17, 2004
    Cambridge England
    Lothar Matthaeus: great player, admirable skills... please keep your mouth shut, and never ever attempt to become Germany manager.

Andi Moeller: See Lothar Matthaeus. Also, a bloody whiner.

Ronald Koeman: The shirt episode was a bit much. I also hate Kluivert, but then I never really liked him so he shouldn't be mentioned.

Simeone: terrible dive that got Beckham sent off in 1998.

but the winner is... Rivaldo. What a bloody wanker.

A player I used to hate but got to like over the years is Frank Rijkaard. Good to see that somebody can admit his mistakes and make fun of them eventually (I am talking about the Llama incident of course).

16. ivanchin99

ivanchin99 New Member

Nov 27, 2005
    Malaysia
    So Rivalry permits someone to break his rival's leg and is not considered guilty of anything? fair enough.. :rolleyes:

17. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    not to mention hes a pedophile.
    why does everyone mention this? how many dives has gotten people sent off exactly. youre all beckham fanboys. its disgusting.

18. Sempre

Sempre ****************** Member+

Mar 4, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You've just defended the indefensible. That is so weak
    intellectually.

Keane was awful to try to end another player's career.
    End of story. And please don't tell me that, at one point
    or another, every player has had an incident like that.

Remember Gaetano Scirea? A world-class defender for
    over a decade, and never so much as once was he sent
    off. That's called class.

19. Jaison

Jaison New Member

May 6, 2005
    Tristan da Cunha
    :confused:

I've never heard this before? What's the story?

20. Ictar

Ictar Member

Jun 18, 2002
    The Oklahoma Panhandle
    I think the story is he got with some girls that were 16 or 17. Legal in Germany but not in the U.S. In the U.S. most of us view that as creepy. That's probably what he was referring to.

21. Jaison

Jaison New Member

May 6, 2005
    Tristan da Cunha
    Ahhh.... I see.

Honestly, I'm not surprised. He comes off as a creep (in addition to being an a$$).
    Hell, he even makes Stefan Effenberg, Andy Möller and Mario Basler seem likeable. :eek:

22. Ictar

Ictar Member

Jun 18, 2002
    The Oklahoma Panhandle
    I had never seen him until the World Cup draw and just the look he had about him would make me want to punch him in the face. I had forgotten all about this story until I just replied to that, too. He does come off as a creepy guy.

23. tino11

tino11 New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Karlsruhe - Germany
    George Best - Brilliant footballer and total and utter fvck-up.
    Paul Gasgoine - See George Best, not as good but quite possibly more amusing
    Patrick Kluivert - Lazy, prima donna, fat arsed wanker
    Eric Cantona - Seagull chasing, kung fu Moron
    Kenny Dagleish - cracking player but what a miserable cvnt

24. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    he was living with a 16 or 17 year old girlfriend when he was like 41. might not qualify as a pedophile per se, but its close in my book. hes definitely a creep.

25. Jaison

Jaison New Member

May 6, 2005
    Tristan da Cunha
    Like Arthur D said above, I hope he never coaches Germany. He'll probably be the first coach to be killed by his own players.