Players We've Never Heard Of, But Edwards Has - LFC Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by bayern is god, Aug 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    He's good but has a troubled past.

It wasn't long ago that it seems as though Rúben Semedo had the world at his feet. The Portuguese centre-back had broken through as Sporting CP and earned a high-profile move to Villarreal. The world was his oyster.
    That was in 2017, but just three years later, he can no longer find a major team to take him on and he has just been hit with a five-year suspended prison sentence for attempted murder.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/so...-of-the-defenders-fall-from-grace/ar-BB16YokS

2. RobR

RobR Member

Liverpool FC
    Sep 9, 2020
    New York City
    This Ruben Semedo?

The central defender was found guilty of a number of crimes when playing in Spain but has avoided immediate further jail term following a court hearing.

The 26-year-old previously spent five months in prison in Spain – at the Picassent jail – after he was charged with multiple offences including robbery, assault, kidnapping and possession of a firearm, but he paid the €30k bail conditions to continue his football career.

https://www.football-espana.net/202...entence-and-banned-from-spain-for-eight-years

3. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    he's pretty sure VAR's gonna overrule it.

4. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    just read up about the guy - no way in hell will LFC / Klopp sign him. jeez, we though Sakho was a bit of a nutter.

delaynomo repped this.
  5. RobR

RobR Member

Liverpool FC
    Sep 9, 2020
    New York City
    I'm pretty sure that one of the corollaries to the "No dickheads" rule is the "No felons" sub-paragraph.

Call me a silly pessimist but I don't think this one is going to fly.

6. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Sounds like the tough defense we've been looking for...

Serengeti_Boy repped this.
  7. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They would be lethal.

8. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    if only it had happened on the pitch.

9. RobR

RobR Member

Liverpool FC
    Sep 9, 2020
    New York City
    The Prem will prevent the transfer anyway. It already takes long enough to get subs into the game what with checking in with the 4th offical, last-minute instructions, and checking the cleats. Throw in the full-body X-Ray and it will take *forever*.

10. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    the club has offered Gini a refreshed 3-year deal. 40% salary boost.

over to you Gini.

delaynomo repped this.
  11. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    I'm surprised Liverpool are going for Semedo. He's a lost soul trying to come good. At Olympiacos, his center-back partner was Meriah, a Tunisian who often engaged in Muslim prayer after games. It wasn't unusual to see Ruben join him in prayer. He's a good defender, but he will need time to adjust himself in England. He's not going to be an immediate solution and I think signing him under these circumstances is a mistake.

I have hard time seeing Koulibaly signing for Liverpool. Napoli want too much for him. Koulibaly doesn't possess the same qualities on the ball as van Dijk. He's a flashy defender, big and strong.

Alaba is the best option. If the money is right, Liverpool must sign him.

newterp repped this.
  12. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    good insight on Semedo SF19 - thanks.

I'd be happy with Alaba or KK.

13. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Think Alaba is most likely. Can't see us spending big on anyone until we see how Gomez and VVD recover from their injuries.

soccershaggy repped this.
  14. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    and how Nat and Rhys (maybe Billy also) are able to make the step up.

15. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  16. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    James Pearce: Every week that goes by the chances of Gini staying beyond this season recede. Before a ball was kicked this season LFC seemed resigned to him leaving on a free next summer and I'm not aware that the situation has changed since I'd expect LFC to sign a replacement

17. RobR

RobR Member

Liverpool FC
    Sep 9, 2020
    New York City
    Sergio Ramos? Really?

Well, younger (and taller) than Hitler I guess.

18. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    laughable.

CB-West repped this.
  19. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Can we bring Grujic back? He is a body in CM that we desperately need - and can even play at CB in a pinch.

Do we try to loan Eriksen? He's an experienced player and should be well rested and ready to go...

20. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Do we call Sheff Utd to see if we can get our hands on Sander Berge? We were interested in him before he moved there last winter and he's just about the only player to keep his reputation intact this season. By mid-January they could be all-but mathematically relegated and a bid would be nice and cheeky given our successes with buying from relegated clubs under Edwards/Klopp.

And let's also admit that he's a warm body in a season when we critically need healthy players that can eat up some minutes in addition to understanding that we're likely to lose Gini in the summer and we have three perma-injured players (Thiago, Keita, Ox) in our CM depth chart.

This season is showing how much work Klopp & Edwards have ahead of them to reload the talent over the next 2-3 windows due to players a) aging out or b) being perma-crocked. The injuries we've suffered this season (some expected like Thiago and Keita, some freak like VvD and Gomez) means we've got to bring forward our spending plans. Nat Phillips is a feel good story and a nice stop gap, but he's more likely to be playing for Brentford next season than Liverpool.

21. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    This guy played very well last night - not flawless of course but he can play for sure ....

Speaking after the game, Ajax defender Perr Schuurs responded to reports linking him with a move to Liverpool – but didn’t want to say much else more than he’s concentrating on winning trophies with the Amsterdam club.

“Interest from Liverpool in me? I am not busy with that. I want to win trophies with Ajax first and stay here for a couple of seasons,” he told SBS6 (via AFC Ajax on Twitter).

22. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he's a bit slow however. not a rush to get him.

23. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Didn't he match Mane in a foot race?

SamScouse repped this.
  24. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    The new Brexit rule that will force change in Liverpool’s recruitment strategy
    https://www.empireofthekop.com/2020...ce-change-in-liverpools-recruitment-strategy/

In a joint statement from the FA, Premier League and EFL, it was announced that on January 1 2021, Premier League clubs will be unable to purchase U18 players from abroad post-Brexit.

The new rules, which also limit the number of U21 players that can be bought under a points-based system, will effectively force Liverpool, and other Premier League sides, to pursue homegrown talent.

25. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he also took him out and got a yellow when Mane was on a break to goal.