Players We've Never Heard Of, But Edwards Has - LFC Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by bayern is god, Aug 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    we'll be getting 3 months of this ...

Liverpool have reportedly agreed to meet the asking price for Kalidou Koulibaly with a bid of between £63million and £67million for the Napoli defender.

2. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Kylian Mbappe looks set to leave Paris Saint-Germain next summer and, after Monday's reports linking the 21-year-old with a "dream" move to Real Madrid, French news outlet Le Parisien reports that he could be tempted by a move to Liverpool.

The striker reportedly admires Liverpool and their style of play, not to mention their recent successes both domestically and in Europe. He is also impressed by Reds manager Jurgen Klopp, who is said to be in regular contact with Mbappe.

Mbappe has hinted that he's not prepared to extend his deal, which ends in 2022, and should that be the case, the Frenchman knows he'll likely be allowed to leave next summer.

Le Parisien believes that Real Madrid and Liverpool are the front-runners, but that Chelsea, Barcelona and Juventus are also keen. Realistically, Mbappe will be able to pick his next destination, though with a valuation around €200m it could be more a case of who can afford him.

3. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I'd rather have Upamecano - cheaper and younger.

4. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Can't see the Reds spending that kind of money on a player...no matter the quality...Klopp is so better known for developing players and molding them to his system than buying the pre-made ones...plus, Mbappe would struggle at CB...:D

5. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Could be the usual football-club or player-agent mind games to let a selling club think they have options or get a better deal for a player.
    Or pure media-invented BS.
    Who TF knows. Gonna get silly in a hurry either way I expect.

CB-West repped this.
  6. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Yep - there will be lots of "reports" and "according to sources" flung about for the next few months...hopefully LFC goes on a nice long winning streak, with lots of goals, to quell some of the media BS...:)

7. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    It could definitely happen, especially if one is the front 3 move on at the same time. Mbappe is only 21. He could play for Liverpool for four years, entrust his growth and development to Jurgen Klopp, and still get to move to Madrid when he is still just 26. Liverpool could spend a huge sum of money on him knowing that he won’t stay forever, and they will end up selling him for a huge fee sometime in the future. If he goes to Madrid now, where is his next move after that?

Wingtips1 and speker repped this.
  8. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    And never forget that Mbappe-Nike link and the financial possibilities for all concerned if Mbappe signs for Liverpool with our massive fan base.

Suss repped this.
  9. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    And Mbappe’s friendship with Lebron James, and Lebron’s link to Liverpool. Liverpool’s wage structure wouldn’t allow Mbappe to be paid as much as at some other clubs. However, Lebron would advise him that the wages you get from your club are nothing compared to the money you can make off of the pitch. Playing for Liverpool in the Premier League would be better for Mbappe’s brand then anything. If he wants to play for Madrid some day, he could still get that move when he still young.

speker and imasyko repped this.
  10. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I'm happy with the Jota signing. Is Mbappe so much better than Jota to justify the cost and the disruption?

If we did sign Mbappe (colour me highly skeptical) who would you drop? has to be Mo, right? would you do that?

11. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I think Mbappe coming would likely see the creation of a new front three for us eg Mane,Mbappe, Jota . With Salah/Firmino approaching 30 odds are at least one possibly two could move on.

12. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    That’s assuming Salah wants to stay at Liverpool forever. There is a good chance he might want to try out Spain. That would raise a lot of the money and clear the space in the squad for an Mbappe.

13. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I don't get why ppl are sold on Mo wanting Spain. especially at this point, neither RM or Barca are - in any way - more attractive options than LFC.

anyway we're building "if's" on top of "if's" ... we'll see.

CB-West repped this.
  14. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well, then we could make the same argument with Mbappe. But you're right, it's all fun speculation at this point. I don't see it happening but I trust Klopp if somehow it did.

15. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    For me it's more of the need to renovate the squad at some point so some players will need to move as new ones come in. Hypothetically speaking it wouldn't make any sense to me to bring in a guy like Mbappe while retaining all of our current front three who also command high wages. All of them are pushing 30 now around the age when younger quality players will be challenging for their spots.A player like Salah will still have a decent value at age 30 but that will decrease.

I think the ceiling is very high for Jota's development so I see him as a regular starter in the very near future . Mbappe would defo command a starting role so something would have to give .

16. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Liverpool have opened talks with Schalke about a £20m New Year move for Turkey defender Ozan Kabak, 20, following the long-term injury to Netherlands defender Virgil van Dijk.

17. imasyko

imasyko Member+

May 16, 2002
    Spring City, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there a CB we haven't been linked to yet, besides Ramos? :)

18. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he was on the list during the end of the summer - there was a thought we were going to pull the trigger and get him but didn’t end up doing it.

19. imasyko

imasyko Member+

May 16, 2002
    Spring City, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd have stopped following the sport had that happened.

20. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh haha - I was talking about Kabak!! Not Ramos. We would never get Ramos.

B.A. and imasyko repped this.
  21. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will be interesting to see who we ultimately sign. With Matip signed through 2024, whoever comes in is still likely to be 4th choice for a few seasons, so I can't see us spending big money on anyone, not when we are likely to be in a position to sign Mbappe next summer. 20M on a young defender who can develop seems like the right profile, but the question is will they get enough games to develop and will they be better than the young CBs we already have.

I think a lot depends on the fitness of Thiago and Keita, as well as Jones' development because if they are all available and playing well, keeping Fab at CB isn't that big a deal.

22. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except that we know Matip is only going to be available for 50% of the games...maybe. I think we will sign a player with strong upside potential and one that we have targeted as a strong robust player.

speker and B.A. repped this.
  23. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    apparently the club are expressing their "bemusement" over the Kabak rumours.

could be a ploy to downplay real interest, but I think in the past when they've said this it's been to kill the stories coz they are untrue and we don't want the distraction.

and as always -- who TF knows. :)

24. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Since Klopp arrived Liverpool keep transfer target info pretty close to the chest but I'd be astounded if we weren't interested in signing a cb in Jan .

I don't expect he club will change course and tell us who though .

25. B.A.

B.A. Member+

Sep 12, 2007
    IL
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    going to have to pay a ransom for one or two of them.

SamScouse repped this.