players salary in the USL

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by Juan Luis Guerra, Dec 29, 2006.

1. Juan Luis Guerra

Juan Luis Guerra Red Card

Jun 11, 2001
    New York City
    Any idea how much players make in the USL? Who is making the best salary in the league right now?

2. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Rhinos and Impact players make the most.

With year-round camps, I'd venture to say a player like Biello probably makes $50-60k.

3. Juan Luis Guerra

Jun 11, 2001
    New York City
    Just wondering how much money former MLS players make in the USL.

4. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Dante Washington made an obscene amount (for USL standards) at VB, something like 100-200k.

5. Juan Luis Guerra

Jun 11, 2001
    New York City
    wwaaooo, better than must mls players.

6. USAfutbol

USAfutbol New Member

Jan 7, 2006
    From what I've heard it's across the board. Some teams pay very competetive salaries (Rochester) and others don't have a large budget at all. Safe to say that without structured salary caps, USL Division 1 affords more flexibility to the clubs to reward individual players as they wish. The better question to me is not whether former MLSers are being paid good money, but what are the guys paid who are still MLS quality and choose USL since they don't wish to play for entry-level Senior Roster salaries ($28,000) locking them into four years.

Guys like that may be better off in USL where they can be the star of their team and then maybe do enough to get some notice outside the US and play for more money the next year while not being bound to the league by the contract option.

7. IceFunk

IceFunk Member

Oct 22, 2005
    Beaverton, Oregon
    Timbers don't make very much, I bet we are one of the lowest paying clubs in the league. However, the appeal of the city, and interaction between the fans and players, gives Portland a huge boost.

8. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Daniel, do you have any sort of reference for this? I just can't imagine a reason that VB would have paid Washington this much money - he wasn't going to make that in MLS, and I seriously doubt he had competing offers for anywhere near that amount.

9. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Yeah, that just doesn't sound right.

10. rojojova

rojojova Member

Mar 7, 2001
    LA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's no way Dante made that much at VB.
    They may have paid him a high monthly salary that would have eventually given him 100 k were thay to pay for an entire year... but that's not how it works. He may have made 50 K for a 6 mos contract. Nooooo way VB could afford that for one player.

11. Juan Luis Guerra

Jun 11, 2001
    New York City

I agree, i dont buy this one. Provide us with some type of link.

thanks

12. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I highly doubt any player in the USL is making 100k-200k. I know most of the Whitecaps (ie team owned by soccer fan and billionaire Kerfoot) have a 'package'. Accomodation, pay (15-40K), meals + a part time job in the soccer industry. Some are reps for Umbro, some are working for local soccer associations, some are selling tickets.

13. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Apparently he had a goal bonus which greatly augmented his salary. I'm asking around, so I'll get back to you on that.

14. wjarrettc

wjarrettc Member
    Staff Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Cliffs of Insanity
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard from a reliable source that Miami FC spent approximately $750K on their two star players last year.

However, my impression is that the average USL player makes $15k-$25k for the six month period of April - September. Many of them supplement that income by playing indoor soccer or running camps during the winter.

Franchise players would make perhaps $40k-60k. These guesses are based on some conversations I had with RailHawks GM Chris Economides as we were comparing salaries to those that were published by the Washington Post for MLS.

15. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    wjarrettc's about right.

Different clubs spend differently. Except for the younger or more inexperienced players, I'd expect that every Impact player makes at least $30k CDN.

BTW, according to VB fans, Washington scored 14 goals at $1k each, which isn't as high as I'd thought.

16. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    You know what, I didn't factor in Miami and the Brazilians. Those guys are getting serious money, and a green card, but serious money.

17. Rafa

Rafa New Member

Aug 16, 2004
    I remember a story about Wynalda coming back from Europe and MLS throwing some lowball salary at him. The Charleston Battery apparently offered him $75k, so he went there instead and promptly broke his leg or something. That was awhile ago....

18. nutella

nutella Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Plateau
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are the whitecaps profitable?

19. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's kind of an over view.

On average, USL 1 players get paid the most, but on the whole less then what most MLS player make (not necessarily the development ones). There are a couple players overall that may make 6 figures. But a good player is probably in the 50 - 60 k, but not many at this level. Their contracts are for the season. Some of them make more then they would in MLS by playing indoors also.

The USL 2 players are less.

Overall some of these teams help out with housing, either providing it or giving a housing stipend. Players make additional money by either working in camps or coaching for near by clubs.

The PDL and W-League are amateur and players are not paid to play soccer. Although they can make some money working camps.

20. SoccerNation

SoccerNation New Member

Jan 9, 2006
    Can PDL teams provide players with housing if the players are out of state or foreigners?

21. cristoforo7

cristoforo7 New Member

May 14, 2003
    I don't think the PDL team itself can pay for housing for a player, but there is nothing to prevent a local family (affiliated with the team somehow or just fans) from letting a player stay at their house for free during the summer.

22. pcrow

pcrow New Member

Feb 24, 2006
    WA
    PDL teams can provide housing, and many of the better ones do, especially if their home is not in a major urban area. A lot of times it is in the form of family sponsors, but the team will still pays the hosts something for the room and board.

23. cobi13

cobi13 Member

Aug 16, 2004
    NY
    Wait, I thought that W-League paid??? How do teams like New Jersey and Florida bring in top womens talent then?

This seems odd to me, because the PDL consists of a lot of college kids looking for a high level of spring club ball, and I don't see how that falls in line with NCAA regulation. Then again, it probably doesn't, and you are referring to others.

24. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The W-League does not pay players for playing soccer. The PDL season is in the summer and not during the school year. The league and the teams follow quidelines so that the players will not be in violation of NCAA regulations.

25. cristoforo7

cristoforo7 New Member

May 14, 2003
    Here's what I believe is the applicable bylaw for Division I student-athletes. This provision falls under the heading of 12.1.2.1, "Prohibited Forms of Pay":

From: http://www.ncaa.org/library/membership/division_i_manual/2006-07/2006-07_d1_manual.pdf

So payment of "actual and necessary ... room and board expenses ... for competition and practice ..." is allowed.