Players' rights, who owns them?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by parismatch, Apr 5, 2012.

1. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I find your argument thoughtful and interesting (as always) I find your base assumption to be too big for this argument.

I think MLS will find funds in their own market (ie the US/Canada) to always be far more valuable than anything C'CAF and FIFA (sans the World Cup) will ever offer.

There just aren't the markets in CONCACAF to warrant a payday large enough for MLS to change its entire structure.

It is far more likely that a US Federal Court will force MLS' hand than any other alternative happening. There just isn't reason, or carrot, enough for FIFA to intervene and force a change (and by extension C'CAF).

2. triplet1

triplet1 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2006

Probably true. But it's also ironic that the more MLS succeeds in helping to grow the CCL into an economically important tournament, the more it may, in fact, provide CONCACAF (and, by extension FIFA) with the means to monetarily punish the league for it's unusual structure and policies should it ever choose to do so (for whatever motivation).

3. West Coast Futbol

May 7, 2008
    The Beach
    Thank you all for the discussion points above; nice to read. I think we all share the same concern; we all want the MLS structure to facilitate continued growth of futbol in North America.

Because futbol is a world sport unlike a parochial sport such as throw ball, just how futbol ownership evolves IMO will be based on FIFA rulings not US rulings. Even the most liberal US courts have upheld owners’ rights while acknowledging obvious inconsistencies in current law application such interstate commerce. These rulings were made even while AEG basically owned the league and could restrain activity to meet its needs. The US legal trend is towards allowing private entities to pretty much do as they please. So for me that leaves FIFA to monitor ownership. FIFA will only have that power by clearly demonstrating restraint of competition on the pitch. I am not sure how they would do that. Should FIFA find a way, then FIFA would have the political power to override economic interests across international boundries.

I think the next step in MLS growth will be past the 20 team entity into 24 or more teams by bringing in teams from the "new" NASL. I bet that the MLS will not stay at 20 and use relegation to keep competition growing. Instead the MLS wil bring in more teams, so the MLS can continue to advertise "growth".