Players Of The Future?

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by SupaMario, Jan 6, 2010.

1. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I do not think we have to convince them to do anything. It should be a privilege for them to wear our colors. We are not the USA or Mexico where convincing needs to be done.

Paz’ father played for us at a World Cup. His father also talked about the excitement it got when he was called up for the first time. He said he was at a loss for words. I’m sure it was his father who reached out to the AFA about his son. It wouldn’t surprise me in the least.

Paz’ Instagram has him several pictures with Messi and playing for the youth team. The flag is also Argentina.

Romero- Spain has approached a number of times and he’s said no all those times. This thread has followed his progress over the years and discussed these moments.

Garnacho has a closer connection to Spain. And that’s understandable. His mother is Argentine and that’s about it. But if he wants to play for Argentina or Spain, that’s up to him. It does appear he wants to represent us.

As I mentioned earlier, I think the article is merely conjecture. It is about getting clicks and discussions, which it is happening.

Albiceleste2010 and soul24rage repped this.
  2. Milan05

Milan05 Member

Dec 2, 2015
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Argentina winning the World Cup while Spain went out on a whimper will be decisive in converting these kids.

Albiceleste2010 and Loco repped this.
  3. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a fan of USA as well we run into these dual national problems often. For the most part they depend on two factors:1) which national side is stronger and more appealing, and 2) which side they have a better chance of actually making the team on. USA is starting to consistently win over the better Mexican-American prospects because of #1, while mostly only being able to get the European-Americans that lean USA because of #2, like Sergino Dest for example. You also can't underrate how strongly a player views their heritage. USA painfully lost out on Giuseppe Rossi to Italy even though he was never good enough to make a World Cup squad for them because of a strong heritage angle. I think we've witnessed that being Argentine is a "sentimiento" stronger than most, so I think it fares well for us.

4. Patoeber

Patoeber Member

Argentina
    Apr 3, 2014
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    We are just going to need to get used to these situations more and more. And there is no other "natural choice" than wathever their hearts tell them to do and feel, regardless of where they were born.

I don't think we need to get out of our way to convince them, just let them know that we will receive them with open arms if that's what they really want, with no bullying nor discrimination. How we treat the first group of these kids could be crucial in future ones's decision.

5. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well said. I was doing some research on Cremaschi, who the Americans are really keen on. The kid talks about he is a fan of RDP, and not some American player. Granted, his family are from Mendoza, so his connection is more direct than most. It does also help he's been brought up in Miami, which has the largest Argentine community here in the U.S.

Albiceleste2010, Burr and soul24rage repped this.
  6. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The question I hear a lot of people ask is if they’ll have the huevos and garra, having grown up without the “potrero”

You see that a lot in the European nations.. a lot of technique and talent in their kids, but no heart/blood. That bulldog mentality is kind of what separates us from them

We’ll see..

7. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I believe this is the approach that Scaloni took, which is the corret decision when he called up those pibes up during March 2022. Show them what the facilities are like, see how the players and coaches conduct themselves and train. I think during a press conference that is what Scaloni said and the decision to represent AFA will always be the pibes' choice.

Albiceleste2010 repped this.
  8. Milan05

Milan05 Member

Dec 2, 2015
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Loco and ganapordiego repped this.
  9. Patoeber

Patoeber Member

Argentina
    Apr 3, 2014
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

14 years old training with the first team. Our academy is far from the best but there is a lot of talk about him. Classic number 10. Captain of Argentina sub15 and already was called up by Mascherano for the sub20.

I think if he has his debut this season will be the youngest ever in Primera Division surpassing kun Aguero.

10. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The diaspora is such that I would not class them as foreigners technically. Their parentage is Argentine aside from Garnacho's dad. It's not as if they have zero connection to the country which is the case for some of the other teams represented.

I said many moons ago in the old Argentina WC blog with the likes of Albo, Rune even @jimmi_moh I think that the AFA need to establish a base and keep tabs on all the kids that are bound to emerge. They have done that and given the proud heritage and this recent triumph more will want to keep their dream of playing for the blue and white alive than anything else. Also given that Messi is also their idol that is a huge draw in itself.

Leo is the best recruiting sergeant of all.

soul24rage and Burr repped this.
  11. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Incredibly young. What's his ceiling ? Who he is like stylistically ? A modern ten or a more relaxed classic one ?

He'll playing alongside Nicolas Marcipar although he is central defender but a very cultured one at that. He's at La Masia and is yet another of the diaspora whose parents settled in Catalonia.

Who is Nicolás Marcipar, the young promise of Argentine origin who plays in the youth teams of Barcelona and was called up to the Under 15 National Team - American Chronicles

12. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  13. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Getafe made an offer for Valentin Barco (that included 50% of a future transfer), but Boca turned it down..

Colo still hasn’t signed a new contract, so Boca could very well end up empty handed in December

14. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Didn’t they do the same thing with Molina? They better strike a deal soon because this kid’s potential is way higher than Nahuel’s.

15. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    [​IMG]
    The list.
    Looks like Paz made the list and he grew up as a Boca fan.

[​IMG]

Other youngster(s) or grew up are Boca fans as well.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    :sneaky:

16. Patoeber

Patoeber Member

Argentina
    Apr 3, 2014
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Honestly, I couldn't watch him personally yet other than a few videos. So I can only go from what I heard/read from his coaches.

The comparison with Facu Farias obviosuly always gets brought up but they are different players. Farias is more of a explosive forward while this kid plays in the third dictating the pace, more creative, better vision from the middle but likes going to the sides at times too. Despite all that he is a better scorer than Farias, scoring 14 last tournament in his division. The general consensus is that he's just levels above Facu.

What seems to stand more is his mentality, everybody says he's really smart and mature for his age, a leader, and you get that impression in that interview. Which is such a relief for Colon fans since that is Farias weakpoint (not going to blame him, he had a terribly tough life and didn't exactly win the lottery with his first agent).

Ceiling? Impossible to know and I don't want to jinx it:p. He's seen as our best prospect in 30 years but as I said our academy is not known for developing top players. So no parameters there. But I'm very excited to see him.

17. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I hope if nothing else Udinese step in again. Udogie will be off back to Tottenham. Barco can step in and make an impact.

soul24rage repped this.
  18. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    what do you all make of Cremaschi? He got called up for Argentina U20's. He's from Miami (Key Biscayne of all places lol).

19. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #1194 SupaMario, Jan 8, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2023
    We don’t know a great deal about him. He’s only 18 and us playing his ball in the ball in the US. So, he did not make this cycle but could very well be a part of the 2025 side. I know the US is fond of him, so who knows. But emerged during a generation that looks very promising. Perhaps the best in a long time. But if he plays well and continues to grow, then, sure, he’ll be given a further look.

20. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    Given Spain's dearth of goal scorers, any dual-national forward or offensive midfielder might have an easier time breaking into Spain's team and starting line-up. That could sway them to Spain, where they are more needed.

21. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Would any youngster that has a choice from Argentina or Spain really pick the Gallegos? They are so bland in a number ways. Their anthem has no lyrics, their fans have zero passion and would you rather eat paella or asado? Cmon…

Plus 3>1

Albiceleste2010 repped this.
  22. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    You make good points, but also consider:

more likely to have guaranteed playing time for Spanish NT,
    shorter commute,
    easier NT games and easy to pad your stats against European minnows.

Would Alvarez be better off/more fulfilled playing second fiddle to Haaland, or starting most games for a slightly lesser team? That is a similar question to what many of the dual nationals will face (without the monster paycheck for being on the bench.).

23. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I can understand if a player is 26,27, 28 or so that makes the jump. Particularly, if they offer you a spot for a World Cup. But at 18-24, you have time.

Some people may have forgotten but when Papu was in the Serie A flirted with the Azzurri. He was open to playing for them and whatnot because he felt neglected.

You just have to wait at times.

24. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    yeah but too much steak and you end up with the gout.

25. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Looks like Southampton won the race

locoxriver repped this.