Players Of The Future?

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by SupaMario, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Loco

Loco Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    May 1, 2005
    Miami
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    https://www.marca.com/futbol/seleccion/2022/03/07/6225da5ae2704e4f4c8b45c8.html

The Spanish Federation is trying to STEAL Argentinean U-20 players, so Scaloni is going to call up more U20 players to lock them up.

I LOVE SCALONI

Tiago Geralnik, (Villarreal), Luka Romero (Lazio), Matas Soul (Juventus) Franco Carboni y Valentn Carboni (Inter) - all will get call-ups to lock them up. In addition, Nico Paz and Alejandro Garnacho to get call ups

AMAZING FROM SCALONI!! THIS WILL SECURE OUR YOUTH TALENT FROM GETTING STOLEN

megamac20817 and soul24rage repped this.
  2. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I don't think a lot of those players are going to get cap-locked just yet, because my understanding is that Scaloni is simply taking them as sparrings (like he did last round with Zeballos, Medina, Simon, Avila, Gomes) rather than actually having plans to utilize them in the upcoming fixtures.

However I think the idea is to let them know that they are part of the rebuilding process and make them feel identified with the NT.. however, they'll still be eligible to switch NTs in the future since they probably won't be playing vs Venezuela or Ecuador

Cosmin10 repped this.
  3. Loco

Loco Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    May 1, 2005
    Miami
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    https://www.archysport.com/2022/03/...team-works-which-captured-the-youth-summoned/

So Fuc@ing happy to read about stuff like this!! Argentina FA is actually doing smart things behind the scene. The new faces in the call-up are no accident, this is part of a scouting project coordinated from the highest levels of the Argentina national team set-up. The coaches that they have added to the national team (Samuel, Scaloni, Aimar, Mascherano) are all part of "the Pekerman legacy" to use the youth system to feed the national team.

Someone tell me when was the last time the AFA acted this intelligent? Ever?

4. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I gotta say. After the 05/07 generation, the AFA threw their hands in air and said, “Well, we have our cash cow, and we’ll be good.” They did not care about the future generations. Then it was utter crap for many, many years. There were some exceptions but overall, from 2008 until the end of the World Cup in 2018 was the Era of Stagnation.

It was always the plan to have these kids from their earliest time with the Sub teams to get them integrated with fellow teammates. It was pertinent for the success of the national. We spotted talent early and helped them grow.

I’m glad we are getting back to some type of grassroots project.

5. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Nice video on Soulé and Barrenechea.

6. Milan05

Milan05 Member

Dec 2, 2015
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Almada and Velasco have both had fairly spectacular debuts in MLS. Almada scored a screamer, while Velasco has 1 goal and 1 assist in only 90 minutes worth of game time.

This begs the questions:

1. can MLS become a stepping stone for Europe?
    2. can MLS itself become a top league in the future? America has the financial power

Or are Almada and Velasco simply lost talents?

7. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    1- It is not really a stepping stone, maybe a little bit but it is a cash grab. Barco went to the MLS, now he is back at River and I bet you anything, there will be more eyes on him now than at his time at Atlanta.

2- The MLS will not be ever a major player unless they get the best players in the world in their prime. Not when they’re really young or at the tail end of their careers. At their best. They would also have to follow some type of European calendar. Nobody wants to play in the spring and summer months in the US when it is triple digits. But that’s not going to happen either because the European calendar is basically the NFL, NBA and NHL(Not to mention college sports) are going on. Owners won’t want to compete with that.
    These youngsters will make their money, go back to Argentina and then go off to Europe. I can’t really recall the last time a MLS went to Europe for crazy money.

Also look at Mexico. Forever people were saying the Mexican league has the money and power and they will get the best… Well, that didn’t ever workout. Mexico league is beyond average and they still can’t produce elite players.

8. Milan05

Milan05 Member

Dec 2, 2015
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Good analysis and I agree with what you are saying. I think that more players in the future will follow the career path of Lanzini. He went to the Middle East for a cash-grab when he was only 21 years old, then moved straight to the Premier League only two years later to begin a serious football career.

9. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    When Pekerman was in charge.

Loco repped this.
  10. Loco

Loco Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    May 1, 2005
    Miami
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    We need to start talking about Enzo Fernández - this kid had a good season last year and is now progressing quickly. The Euros are starting their rumors

11. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    You must have not seen me lobbying in the Arg NT News & Stats thread :D

El negro enrique is the latest to hop on the Enzo train..

"Enzo Fernández me parece un jugador impresionante. No tan sólo por el manejo, sino por el despliegue físico, sabe romper con gambeta, mete pelotas, tiene gol... Es un jugador de Selección", expresó el Negro, gloria del Millonario y campeón del mundo con la Albiceleste en México 1986.​

"Es lo que se necesita en un Mundial. Es un jugador muy táctico. No tiene miedo de presionar. Va seguro. No queda pagando nunca. Después, la técnica y el manejo que tiene... Es fundamental".
    https://www.tycsports.com/river-pla...o-que-se-necesita-en-un-mundial-id426627.html

Not long ago Basile had also labeled him the best player in the whole league.

I think it's a fair discussion to have whether or not he deserves to go to Qatar. On the one hand, you already have a consolidated group and it could be argued that new players should just be incorporated into the post-WC cycle.. but on the other hand, he is playing at an impeccable level that is very hard to dismiss. And if just recently we were calling up guys like MacAllister and Meza in midfield, why not give Enzo a chance at least in the June friendlies? You could even argue that at the moment he deserves to be called up over Palacios based on form.

Obviously Scaloni is keeping close track of him, but I don't know just how much more he is willing to test out before the WC. Considering the very few match opportunities we'll have from now until November, you'd imagine he's going to want to let the regulars mold in those games.

Albiceleste2010 and ganapordiego repped this.
  12. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  13. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  14. Loco

Loco Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    May 1, 2005
    Miami
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Alejandro Garnacho got his first call-up for the Manchester United senior team on Saturday. Unfortunately he did not get to play, but as a 17 year old to be included in a ManU game bench is a pretty good sign. I am hoping that Scaloni calls him up for some of the summer games. Even if he doesn't play, I think its important to get someone like him involved with the national team - make sure Spain doesn't try to poach him.

Who is a better prospect? Valentino or Franco Carboni?

ganapordiego repped this.
  15. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The view is that Valentin is. I decided to watch some of his Primavera footage.

He is intelligent about where to drop into space into the final third. He can beat an opponent one on one not by pace but due to his size strength and skills. He rarely hangs onto the ball for long. He plays the pass when needed quickly and displays great vision in doing so.

Defensively he does not press much and is suspect in this regard. He is incredibly one footed at present although his right foot is okay. He'll need to work on this when defenders work out to keep him to the outside and get big and strong as he is.

Franco looks better than most say he is. Great engine on him which perhaps is where the comparison to the tractor comes from. Decent left foot and finds passes well enough forward. Good finisher given he used to be a forward having watched him with some Primavera footage. Decent at blocking and strong in the tackle. But his positioning needs great improvement. His reading of the game from that LB position needs to be more defensively focused. He'll let opposition wingers stand off and get by which is something he needs to work on.

That's my take on them having watched a very small sample of their playing time.

16. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    I watched the U16s yesterday vs Brazil (with wonderkid Endrick playing btw) and oh god, almost all our boys are fantastic. They lost due to a keeper blunder and a great Endrick play but they dominated throughout.
    The left winger Prestianni from Velez is absolutely unstoppable. The striker Ruperto from River pretty great too (great goal scored) and the midfielders all really good passers.
    The game left me really hopeful despite the loss.

17. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

He made his debut with the first team today. Granted, it was the 90th minute but maybe things to come?

Albiceleste2010 repped this.
  18. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Placente doing a great job. So many in the wake of the call ups of the diaspora seem to think Argentina's well of talent is running dry. What idiots.

Loco repped this.
  19. Loco

Loco Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    May 1, 2005
    Miami
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Mateo Klimowicz of Stuttgart has turned down three Germany call-ups and is eligible to play for the Argentina national team. Klimowicz, who is born in Argentina, has represented Germany’s youth teams at the 2021 European Under-21 Championship. He is 21 years old (DOB 7/06/2000), plays attacking midfield, is about 5ft 10 in.

He can potentially play for Argentina, Germany or even Poland (his great-grandfather was Polish).

Any thoughts on this kid?

(should we start a different thread in this forum for all "Potential Diaspora Call-ups" . . . .?)

20. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

He’s been talked about a few times on this thread. I haven’t heard much improvement about him over the last few seasons.

locoxriver repped this.
  21. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    SupaMario repped this.
  22. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  23. Loco

Loco Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    May 1, 2005
    Miami
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Albiceleste2010 and soul24rage repped this.
  24. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I hope we've done enough to persuade him already. I'm sure he will be in El Jefecito's plans for the u20 Toulon tournament where we beat up the hosts on their home patch.