Players missing from 4/26 vs San Diego

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Druid Squirrel, Apr 10, 2003.

1. Druid Squirrel

Dec 15, 2000
    A hollow tree
    Beene, Bryan, and Chastain have been called up for the USWNT game vs Nigeria on 4/27, so they'll miss the San Diego game on 4/26. Additionally, I thought I read somewhere that Katia and Pretinha will be away with the Brazil team and will also miss that game. So, the question is, what kind of lineup can the Rays put out there without those five key players? Assuming Alagich is back with the team by then (probably a safe bet), and that Lindsey is back to 100% (a less safe bet), we'll have 15 players to choose from, including reserves and developmental players. If we stick with the same 4-2-3-1 we played against Philly, the best lineup we could muster is probably something like:

Code:
             Greathouse
    Sanchez Alagich Lindsey French
            Sissi    Barr
      Barnes  Venturini  Cook
               Clemens

The only other players are Carter, Cromwell, Bell, and Podhrasky. If Lindsey is unable to play, then I guess Cromwell takes her spot.

There's also a chance that Bryan and/or Beene will not make the game roster -- there are 24 players in camp but only 18 will make the final roster -- and will therefore be able to play against San Diego, after all. I usually root for CyberRays to make USWNT rosters, but on this occassion I'm hoping that both Bryan and Beene get booted.

And, on the positive side, San Diego could be without MacMillan, Wagner, Foudy, and Fawcett, who were also called up.

2. RB1

RB1 New Member

Jul 10, 2000
    You have the dates backward. The US - Nigeria game is on Saturday at noon ET (9 a.m. PT) and the SD - SJ game is on Sunday at 5 p.m. PT. That should leave enough time for the players on both teams who make the WNT roster to get to San Diego for their WUSA match. They may not go the full 90, but I suspect most of them will suit up. Assuming this does happen we'll be at a disadvantage since the Spirit will be at full strength (except for possibly Fawcett) and the CyberRays will be missing Pretinha and Katia.

3. Druid Squirrel

Dec 15, 2000
    A hollow tree
    Ah, right. So I do. That does change things.

BTW, one other thing I just realized -- San Diego also has a Brazilian. Daniela will presumably also be away for CONMEBOL qualifying during the Spirit-CyberRays game.

4. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's the status of Sissi in regards to the Brazilian National Team? I would expect her to be called up as well.

(FTR, in addition to the Pretinha/Katia/Sissi connection Daniela is another from the Brazilian team playing here in the WUSA.) Sissi despite her age (36 in a few months) is still a potent passer/playmaker. Daniela, who's 19 if I remember right, would more likely get a callup.

5. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Re: Re: Players missing from 4/26 vs San Diego

Well according to the latest Women's Soccer Insider newsletter from Soccer America the only Brasilians that will be called up for this match are the three Druid mentioned..Katia, Pretinha, and Daniela.

6. shortee

shortee Member

Jun 7, 2002
    East Bay
    looks like we'll only be missing katia and pretinha.

http://www.wusa.com/press_room/354876.html

7. Socceroo

Socceroo New Member

Aug 15, 1999
    CA
    Re: Re: Players missing from 4/26 vs San Diego

I heard that Sissi has retired from the Brazilian National Team. However, I cannot seem to locate an article about it. Can anybody confirm?

--Socceroo

8. Arcangel

Arcangel New Member

Mar 6, 2003
    I read a while back that the Brazilian coach did not want Sissi because he felt she was too old.

9. SomebodyOrOther

SomebodyOrOther BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 8, 2002
    Over here!
    :rolleyes: Now there's a brilliant guy for ya. Seriously, does Brazil have another playmaker of that caliber? And if so, why isn't she in the WUSA already?

10. Arcangel

Arcangel New Member

Mar 6, 2003
    I don't know the original source of the article but it is posted here:

http://pub84.ezboard.com/fwusasoccerfrm29.showMessage?topicID=44.topic

11. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. BondOne

BondOne Member

Aug 11, 2001
    I asked one of the 'Rays directors about Sissi last week and he said that she has some sort of agreement with the Brazilian coach in which she *will* play in the WC but does not have to play in any of the prep matches.

BondOne