Players Lash Out at Cardinal Stadium

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by HalaMadrid, Aug 3, 2002.

1. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    hmm, let the speculation begin.

I'll just go ahead and say that Springfield Lutheran High School has NOT been in contact with the Fire. That should end that rumor.

2. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    *cough*Sportsman's Park*cough*

3. terrywilson

terrywilson Member

May 3, 1999
    Atlanta Ga.
    Surface

I play on the same surface in Cincinnati on the weekends and during the summer months its insane. 2 Sunday's ago it was 97 with a heat index of 108 at 1:30 kickoff, I lost 5 pounds of water weight during the game, playing cm, The surface just absorbs the heat and then puts it back out like and oven. Before the game and every chance I get I water down my cleats with cold water to cool my feet down. I will say this though I would rather play on that surface than on a rocky ground though.

4. BerwynBlazers

BerwynBlazers Member

Jul 23, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been playing at Concordia University the last couple mornings and they have that same stuff and it gets hot. It's not so bad at first, then the feet really start to burn. You can't even walk on it without shoes.

5. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Surface

See everybody? There are worse playing surfaces!

Safe-play is better for soccer than:

1. A rocky ground
    2. Gravel
    3. Concrete
    4. Sand
    5. Asphalt
    6. Broken glass
    7. Three inches of water (see, All-Star game video)
    8. Burning embers
    9. Stainless steel
    10. Jell-o
    11. Splintery wood
    12. A mirror
    13. Corpses or carcasses of any sort
    14. A sea of crawling insects, spiders, bugs, and snakes (see Raiders of the Lost Ark)
    15. Sandpaper
    16. Bearskin rugs
    17. Rusty iron bars
    18. Prairie grass
    19. Poison oak/ivy/sumac
    20. A new, state-of-the-art playing surface made from human hair

See? We don't have it so bad.

6. IJS

IJS Member

Mar 28, 2000
    Naperville
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Re: Re: Surface

And Solider Field after the Bears have had a game on it !!!

7. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Re: Re: Re: Surface

The old Soldier Field. I doubt seriously the new one will be anywhere near as bad during football season.

Plus the grass/dirt/paint never hit 150 degrees during the summer...

8. terrywilson

terrywilson Member

May 3, 1999
    Atlanta Ga.
    The advantage is the surface plays like a putting green, giving you a perfect touch every time out. The quality of soccer played in the men's open leauges is excellent typically college and d-3 level ball minus the speed of the game. The best is to play in the morning at 9:00 or late in the evening during the summer.

9. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Surface

However, I _know_ there were injuries directly attributable to the poor field conditions at S.F. I remember, distinctly, Ante Razov twisting an ankle in a dirt divot and being out for a couple games.

And I bet that the All-Star game would have been a lot nicer looking at the start of the second half on safe-play. That pooling was excessive. I've seen the NCC field drain... granted, it wasn't that huge of a downpour... but it was pretty damned wet... and it barely affected play.

10. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Surface

Drainage is similar on all the new grass surfaces like at Foxboro and Mile High.

11. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Surface

It was my understanding that the field was part of the gambit in getting the new stadium (much as they did with old Comiskey and Tiger Stadium). If you're trying to bilk the taxpayers for a new stadium because your current one is obsolete, it behooves you to not meet the level of upkeep you normally would do. They're doing this in Fenway Park in Boston too. Shameful behavior, actually.

12. Stevedm

Stevedm Red Card

Jan 19, 2000
    Chicago
    Re: Re: Re: Scheduling! Sceheduling! Talk about scheduling!

Good i always found Blanch as pretty hot in a trashy sort of way!!! Something about an old coot talking dirty like that get's me hotter then the field in Naperville.

13. Sweeper

Sweeper New Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Perhaps this has been discussed before but why not try a grass tray system like the Metro were using before GS became grass?

14. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    doesn't GS STILL use that tray system?

and as an aside, we've seen how well those tray systems hold up. with weather like we've had this summer (hot and dry and hot and dry and then hot), those tray systems would never have made it, there's just not the root base there of course to support any long term life.

15. Sweeper

Sweeper New Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Its is still a tray system but part of a permanent field now, no astro-turf underneath like in previous years.

And while our grass is not the greatest, surely Naperville does not have the volume of use that GS receives, so a tray system might be ideal. And it hasn't been any hotter in Chicago then NY, so I doubt that the lack of water would be much of an issue, then again, we do have running water here...

16. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

As soon as you write a check for the million or two it would cost to have a grass tray system I'm sure Peter Wilt would be happy to put it in.

17. Sweeper

Sweeper New Member

Feb 11, 1999
    MetroMedia supposedly footed the bill for our tray system for several years, now that improvements have been made to Naperville, I wonder if AEG would consider the tray system since upgrade costs won't be an issue for next year.......

18. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The tray system would be expensive and not worth the cost since we would now only use it one more year as we will be back in SF in 2004. Also the grass tray system does not correct the more important problem of playing at cardinal stadium namely the width of the field. The early part of the season we can't cover the track.