Players from the Caribbean: Tranfers, sales, etc...

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by PsychedelicCeltic, May 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premiership/arsenal/article1811322.ece

2. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. mixmastermatt

mixmastermatt Member

Nov 18, 2003
    St Albans, England
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Re: We're rich, bitch!

There is no quotes either... its porbably bullshit.

4. shincan

shincan Member

Sep 19, 2005

Though it is a nice number, I don't believe it either. Concentrating on Ribery? What is Wenger doing, telepathy?

And I wonder just how close to reality any such financial pronouncement would be. Would a club reveal for certain its spending, if it were a top club, and likely to compete with Chelsea/Manu/other tops for players who just might jimmy their value to get more money?

I just want Wenger to promise me (personally, of course, but I'll take a public announcment:p ) that he will buy one or two. If not for any other reason than the benches...but I'd love one real injection of pace and skill.

5. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

why would they announce how much they have available to spend? wont that just allow the clubs we are bidding from to up the price on their players to get as much of the 40 mil as they can? plus the "loan" from barclays doesn't make any sense at all...this has to be garbage.

6. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC

well, if borrowed money equates to wealth, then you fellas are well and truly loaded - whether there's anything to this article or not.

;)

7. ibby

ibby New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Manchester

I guess Henry, Hleb, Rosicky, Clichy etc aren't good enough for you :D

8. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

if wenger spends 40 mill this year i will be very suprised

im thinkin 20 at the most, and thats cus the markets inflated as fook

9. HomeatHighbury

Mar 25, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but we spent how much from 96 to 06? 50 million on players? There is no chance that Wenger spends virtually all of that sum in one summer. 20 max, I would say less really.

10. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I figure the over under on offseason spending is 10 million pounds. And i'd take the under.

11. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

This is probably the most accurate bet of whats to come.

12. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I base that on 2 mil for Fabianski, 6 mil for a winger (Babel?) and another 1.5 for some French kid.

13. n4100

n4100 Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Philadelphia

I'll take the over, but I'm also thinking it'll be under 20 mil.

14. flyerhawk

flyerhawk Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Hoboken NJ
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sounds about right.

Maybe a bit more because of the newfound Prem money but not a whole lot more.

15. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes Member

Nov 22, 2006
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I want me some Samir Nasri...

16. PsychedelicCeltic

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London

I don't think buying Ribery and some prospect is going to do it.

The board wants success, if Wenger tries to think small they may bring in someone on their own above his head. They may be able to get away with it too, as there's very few other high profile jobs in European football that would allow the manager complete freedom to bring in who he wants. It's regular practice in Spain and Italy for the president/sporting director to bring in players.

They'll try and reason with him and bring in people who fit with the team (so this may not include Samuel Eto'o), but I bet they'll be unusually insistent that he spend money this year. They have a PR battle with Kroenke to think about, and certainly people throughout the club are itchy at two trophyless seasons and an inability to compete for the title.

17. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Do you really think the board would spend millions while alientating Wenger at the same time? In the year his contract is up as well? Doesn't make any sense to me.

18. PsychedelicCeltic

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London

If the board feels Wenger might be out the door whether they acquiesce to his wishes or not, they'd probably rather have the current squad and Samuel Eto'o than the current squad and French U-19 player of your choice.

It's really high stakes stuff, actually. If Wenger buys small and finishes 4th and trophyless again, I think patience is going to run thin and there's a chance someone else comes in. You can't be 2 years away from trophies 3 years in a row.

19. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think you give the board too little credit. They realize, probably more than anyone, that Wenger is Arsenal's most valuable asset. There are a half dozen clubs out there that have outspent Arsenal and are still years away from any trophy.

Personally, i'm hoping the board throws their extra cash into a new contract for Arsene. I wish they had had the foresight to buy that 10% stake from ITV and dangle it in front of Wenger as payment for 10 more years of service.

20. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

i dont know man, i get the feeling wenger is in almost a decline, like hes less interested in the game with all this high spending sheet going on...maybe its time to start looking for a suitable replacement and hopefully keep wenger on as a director of football?

i think tactically arsenal hjave been off a little this season and all this air of uncertainty at the club has got to people like henry and wenger

and now deins left this could be the end of the arsenal we know

i honestly dont see arsenal winning anything next year with this squad, but im sure wenger 'knows'

theres definitely a few holes in the team imo that need repairing

21. RealMadGunner

RealMadGunner Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

^Thats a strong statement regarding Wenger's interest .. And to say he's on a decline ? :eek: .. We've been bad this season but i guess we had set really high expectations .. And we were just a goal short in most of the games in meeting those expectations .. Have faith, it'll turn out well next season .. We might not have so much money that we can blow 17M each season on some midfielders, but it's time the quality in our squad turns into performance ..

That said, i don't mind Wenger going for Babel .. :D

22. 72gunns

72gunns New Member

May 16, 2007

I wouldn't believe this bollocks its the usual crap they spout every summer because AFC do a brilliant job in keeping their transfers under wraps and do it whilst everybody's too busy watching what new mercenary Abramovich is shipping in on a slow boat from Chukotka.
    Merida,Denilson,Rosiky even Denise 12 years ago all signed without the papers wrecking the bids or forcing the price up..these fools know Jack s**t about AFC and thats the way it should stay.
    They spend every summer trying to destabilise our players so the only transfer story I ever believe is the one that has Arsene sitting at a press conference with a new signing otherwise ignore these stupid transfer NON sories ARSENE KNOWS....nuff said

23. 72gunns

72gunns New Member

May 16, 2007

What do you mean Decline...Our kids got to a final and were only just beaten by a team that was assembled together with half a billion stolen roubles(Probably more with the exchange rate but you get the idea), Van the Man was had scored only 2 goals less than the top scorer when he got injured and was showing his class,Rosicky when not injured has been pure class..Ok Eboue's started to take the piss close to the end of the season and Hleb lost a bit off confidence as well but I would not write this team off yet..." signings a winger and defensive cover for when the African Cup of nations absentees kick in next Jan and I honestly believe we will be in the top 2...i do think it will be one more season yet before we can win the league but we are definitely on the up not down....How can our so called worst season ever have brought us a better run in the cups than last season!

24. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

worhtington cup is meaningless

u really think its not decline when u cant beat defensive northern teams?

and what about the horrible performances in the champions league, scraping a draw at porto to qualify

not to mention the rubbish 1st leg vs psv

i said it before, direct wing play, a midfielder who can score and a better rb and central cover (senderos is shit) will get arsenal back up with chavs and man yoo

25. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

If Reyes isn't sold this Summer I think he'll be back in Spain on some kind of long term loan deal like this year. He doesn't want to play in England and no manager keeps players who don't want to be there.

Ljungberg is the opposite, he wants to stay, but I think the manager (and everyone else) can see that he doesn't have the legs for it any more. If he gets a free transfer to somewhere where he'll be more likely to play every week then I think he'll be off. He's Swedish captain and I think he'll want to play often enough to keep it that way.

There are players who I think should be moved on (well documented elsewhere), but overall we have a good squad in my opinion. We could do with a decent, penetrative winger who could provide a few goals and possibly a defensive midfielder (although I think that Fabregas and Diaby will be fine in tandem in the future). If a good, experienced goalkeeper became available then I'd look at a signing there too. Wenger has said that he'll only sign players of "super, super quality", I hope he does and I hope he's willing to spend the kind of money it takes to get them.