Player transfers - In and out

Discussion in 'Aston Villa' started by Guerrero9, Dec 14, 2008.

1. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very nice. Very nice, indeed.

2. GW Emperor

GW Emperor New Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    According to Sky sources, Aston Villa have signed Senegalese defender Habib Beye from Newcastle United on a three year deal. The 31 year old, who was our best player of the season for 2007/2008, will therefore be Aston Villa's second signing of the summer so far.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_5479066,00.html

3. jgoal5

jgoal5 Member

Apr 4, 2001
    LV-PA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    This has been confirmed on the Villa website.

4. Dear_Claudio

Dear_Claudio Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Buffalo, New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Good signing, I had heard he was going to Hull.

I didn't know where to post this, but I guess this thread is as good as any. What role do you guys see Sidwell playing this year? Will he be on the bench a lot or will he be drafted into Barry's role? Sidwell is a fine player and Villa could get his career to the next level as he failed to do at Chelsea.

5. TFoAV

TFoAV New Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Atlanta, GA, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Sidwell's probably going to be playing alot this season, assuming that Delph's not going to be starting from jumpstreet. If so, and according to the current formation that we run, then Sidwell's basically keeping the seat warm for Delph. He's a good player, and I'm thinking that the best way for him to be in the game would be for MON to switch to a 4-4-2, which is the hot rumor right now when it comes to formations and stuff. I think it'll happen.

As for Beye, it's good to see that we got a defensive signing done this summer, taking a guy who really shouldn't be in the Championship and putting him on a Premiership side. I'm a little bit worried since Newcastle basically gave up goals for fun last season, but Beye was one of the better defenders so I'm ok with this signing.

6. tom12

tom12 Member

Jun 29, 2007
    BR, LA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Somebody posted some stats on Villatalk showing Newcastles record when beye played and their record when he didn't play and the difference was pretty impressive

Newcastle were ~.500 when he started and the goals they gave up per game were also low. When he didn't start they were a train wreck and their goal differential was something like -25. From the Newcastle fans I've talked to they seemed to think had he not gotten his ankle torn up by Cattermole last season they would have had a shot at staying up, which might be a bit of an exaggeration seeing as he's a fullback but still shows how highly they think of him.

I think it's a good signing other than the fact that we now have 2 30+ fullbacks who probablly only have a good season or two left. My guess is that Beye will start most of the season at RB while Luke Young will go back to the left with Lichaj and Shorey/Bouma being the backups.

7. TFoAV

TFoAV New Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Atlanta, GA, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holy crap, that is a ridiculous differential. I wouldn't say that they would've stayed up had he been healthy, but they definitely would've been in better shape than they were last season.

Once again, good to get him off a Championship side and onto a decent Premiership side.

Speaking of moving players up, Delph made his debut in the Claret & Blue today, & remember my comments about Sidwell warming the seat up for Delph? Yeah, replace "Sidwell" with "Sidwell OR Reo-Coker" and you've got my feelings now.

8. Leedsunited

Leedsunited Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Yorkshire
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    No they weren't. Never in the running. Only Villa, City and Spurs made enquiries.

[/quote]

9. TFoAV

TFoAV New Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Atlanta, GA, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [/QUOTE]

Woops. Coulda swore I read something about Arsenal at least giving the guy a look. Maybe it was just general reading.

Thanks for the correction.

10. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Villa are in for David Wheater. O'Neil has been doing a nice job of picking up young English talent, Wheater would be a great addition.

Wishful thinking, but I would love to see both Matthew Upson and Wheater in the middle.

11. ctoa23

ctoa23 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 25, 2007
    E&G Forum
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Upson would be a great addition, him and Wheater would be a dream.

12. GW Emperor

GW Emperor New Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  13. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the amount of time Guzan got last year, I wouldn't mind seeing him loaned out to get some playing time under his belt.

14. Slater582

Slater582 Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Shrewsbury, England
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    The Aston Villa website has confirmed they're in negotiations with Blackburn for the transfer of left back Stephen Warnock.

15. jgoal5

jgoal5 Member

Apr 4, 2001
    LV-PA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Richard Dunne is at Villa Park to discuss terms and take a medical. Could be a double swoop with Warnock about to sign. Good stuff!

16. Slater582

Slater582 Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Shrewsbury, England
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Warnock has officially signed, four year contract.

He'll be shown to the fans at the game against Rapid Vienna.

17. TFoAV

TFoAV New Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Atlanta, GA, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Decent signing, especially considering he was arguably the best player that Blackburn had. Also great considering that he's probably going to go straight into our Back 4. With the Dunne signing as well, it seems like MON's done with this window, and even though the signings came later than expected, at least they came. Pretty good window.

18. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How do Villa line up at this point?

--------------Freidel
    Beye---Dunne---Davies---Warnock
    --Milner---Petrov---RC---Young
    --------------Gabby
    ---------------Carew

Atleast there's some depth on the team with the additions of Dunne, Beye, Warnock, Delph, Downing, (Heskey), not a bad window by any means. Although, I would have preferred atleast 1 of Upson or Wheater to Dunne.

Btw, whatever happened to Bouma?

19. jgoal5

jgoal5 Member

Apr 4, 2001
    LV-PA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    I think MON has 1 or 2 more he wants to finalize...we still lack someone to knock the ball around consistently from the middle of the park...and another left back would be welcome...

20. USBhoy

USBhoy New Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    any possibility niko kranjcar could be a target? he could not only fill the CM role, but replace barry for taking corners and set pieces. He has already come out and said he wont re-sign with pompey, might be able to get him cheap and then re-sign him...just a thought

21. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forget Dunne, I'm just hoping O'Neil can pull Upson out of his ass. What a way that would be to end the transfer window.

22. Slater582

Slater582 Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Shrewsbury, England
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Villa have signed James Collins.

Guess they couldn't agree terms with Dunne.

23. USBhoy

USBhoy New Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dunne seems to be a done deal, apparently going to be announced tomorrow...what will the starting line-up look like from here on out?

24. usnroach

usnroach Member+

Jul 5, 2009
    SoCal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sky was saying it was all but summed up he just wanted more money from city for being there and having to leave...to think they couldnt get it done is not good. if true

25. Englandin2014

Englandin2014 New Member

May 11, 2006
    Florida
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Looks like Dunne is in, so that makes quite an injection of talent by MON. Were all the needs met? Probably not, but there is definitely more depth to work with over the long season. Add in the early exit from Europe and Villa could be strong at the finish...