Player transfers - In and out

Discussion in 'Aston Villa' started by Guerrero9, Dec 14, 2008.

1. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Tevez were to leave United, I wouldn't mind seeing him at Villa. But thats not happening unless they come up with a large some of money and snag 4th place. Wishful thinking. (Anywhere but Madrid..):eek:

2. Guerrero9

Guerrero9 New Member

Nov 11, 2004
    Palacio de Gobierno
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    I read that he wasnt happy that Man U hadnt bought him yet. Whats the deal with his contract? He is on loan from some group called MSI :confused:

3. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the moment he's worth 32 million, and United have payed something like 12 for his services for these last two seasons. Essentially, when his contract runs out at the end of the season, and if United aren't willing to throw another 20 million at MSI, Tevez is free to go to whoever pays the most money to MSI. At least thats my interpretation of the whole situation. It really depends on what newspaper you read. :p

4. Guerrero9

Guerrero9 New Member

Nov 11, 2004
    Palacio de Gobierno
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    That sounds dodgy... paying 12 mill for a loan deal and 32 mill seems like a lot to pay for a guy who's not among the top scorers. Do you think they will buy him?

5. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well we've paid 12 million of the 32 million, so far. It could go either way, depending on how he copes with the lack of playing time or if he steps it up if (heaven forbid) Berbatov or Rooney get injured. I'd love to see him stay, he's been a great servant to the club and I'd hate to see him go like that..then again he deserves a lot better than the treatment he's been getting lately. I just wish Fergie could play all 4..

6. Guerrero9

Guerrero9 New Member

Nov 11, 2004
    Palacio de Gobierno
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
  7. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would love to see him at Villa. MON would be able to shape him into an even better player, me thinks.

8. Guerrero9

Guerrero9 New Member

Nov 11, 2004
    Palacio de Gobierno
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Ye, I think so too. There's been rumours of Chelsea and Tottenham wanting him but I think he'd be sitting on the bench for both of those clubs.

9. Slater582

Slater582 Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Shrewsbury, England
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
  10. Guerrero9

Guerrero9 New Member

Nov 11, 2004
    Palacio de Gobierno
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
  11. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't see MON signing Jones when Johnny Carew is just around the corner of recovery, and there is also Gabby, Nathan, and now Heskey. Although I have heard that Carew could be shipped out this summer, and Heskey isn't getting any younger, perhaps he will pick someone up. We shall see.

12. Guerrero9

Guerrero9 New Member

Nov 11, 2004
    Palacio de Gobierno
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    There is a rumour going around that Villa are after Man City's Micah Richards. I think the guy would be a very good addition to the club, however I dont see Man City giving him up.

13. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Latest rumor is that Villa are in for Defour, how good is this guy? I heard he's quite the playmaker.

14. philly villain

Jun 20, 2008
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    MON was supposedly showing a bit of intrest in Defour during the winter transfer window but it came to nothing. The boy has skills, no question. From what little I have seen of him he is a superb passer, but not a keen shooter. FourFourTwo rated him very highly if I remember correctly. He has a number of clips up on YouTube that you can check out.

Running him out there as a possible replacement for Barry?:(

15. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would love to see Taiwo picked up, and perhaps one of the young Belgian CB's making some noise at Ajax.

16. Guerrero9

Guerrero9 New Member

Nov 11, 2004
    Palacio de Gobierno
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    I think it will be extremely difficult to keep Barry, we had a chance to but we blew it. Villa will not only have to pick up a replacement for Barry and Laursen but they will also need more quality to test the top 4 next season.

17. philly villain

Jun 20, 2008
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    All true. And after the Fulham match you have to wonder about Shorey as well, but the entire backline has been a disappointment really. Supposedly they are making a real effort at keeping Petrov, which is good but hardly good enough.

18. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    O'Neil supposedly making a trip to Amsterdam to check out the young Begian CB, Vermaelen. :D

19. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wouldn't mind seeing Onyewu get at least a look. He's out of contract at Standard de Leige this summer.

20. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like this kid, Kyle Walker, of Sheffield United. He's only 18 and could provide good cover at fullback, barring Sheffield United stay in the Championship next season.

21. Tankfantry

Tankfantry Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a done deal Barry signed for City for 12 million pounds.

22. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So much for all his "I want to go somewhere that I can play European Football" bullshit. I could have accepted a move to Highbury or Anfield and wished him well except for his two matches against the Villans. But this? Good riddance, douchebag.

23. bjgcheese

bjgcheese Member

May 25, 2007
    At least this ended in early June. No guessing whether he needs to be replaced. MON can sign someone who will know there is an open spot.

24. Guerrero9

Guerrero9 New Member

Nov 11, 2004
    Palacio de Gobierno
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Yup, thats what happens when a another team offers to double your salary.

Im not that surprised he left particularly after the level of loyalty he showed last time another team was interested in him. Its ok though, lets get some players that really want to play for us.

25. tom12

tom12 Member

Jun 29, 2007
    BR, LA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    eh, to me i understand the bitterness and there's no doubt really that it came down to money so i can't fault someone for being upset about him saying one thing and doing another but you gotta keep a couple things in mind:

1. this is a great deal for us, 12 million is about what liverpool wanted to pay for him last season (although i believe they went up to 16)

2. He had one year left and could have then left on a free

3. He's played at the Villa for over 10 years, he's been a fantastic player for us during one of our worst stretches in history and who can fault him for wanting a change after all that time

4. He's already quite slow for the EPL and he'll be 30 soon, not a lot of good years left i suspect

5. The most important factor: yes, he is a great player, BUT the midfield simply did not work last season because he and Petrov both want to play the same position and cannot play alongside one another. By the end of the season teams began to realize we had no creative element from the central of midfield to unlock a defense or spark a good passing movement through the center, all of our offense came from down the wings, mostly through the counter attack.

This is a great opportunity to offload a player who wanted to go and didn't fit into how MON wants to play especially now that we have Petrov locked up for the long term.

Now MON can go out and find someone younger to create infront of Petrov and offer another dynamic to our singular attack and we now have plently of money to do that.

remember, if Petrov goes down, we already have several very good holding/defensive midfielders in reserve in NRC and Sidwell who have been struggling for playing time anyway.

I will miss Barry and he will definitely go down as a Villa great for me, though the circumstances of him leaving are dissapointing, but I think this is exactly what Villa needed to happen this close season.