Player Ratings

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by PhillyQuakesFan, Jun 23, 2010.

1. johnsemlak

johnsemlak Member

Jun 27, 2009
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree buddle didn't really offer too much. I think he was a correct sub--we needed attackers and he's what we had. but he wasn't particularly effective.

I think the Altidore / Gomez combo was good.

2. jamezyjamez

jamezyjamez Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    7+: Altidore, Cherundolo, Bradley
    5-7: Bocanegra, Bornstein, Donovan, Dempsey, De Merit, Edu, Gomez

Algeria didn't prove to be much of a test, making it hard to know how well we played defensively. They did come close to scoring early, but a clean sheet is a clean sheet.

3. Jimmy Knuckles II

Jimmy Knuckles II New Member

Jun 18, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Howard - 8 Did everything right and world class distribution.
    Bornstein - 6.5 Played above his head in a critical game.
    Bocanegra - 7.5 Really strong.
    DeMerit - 7.5 Also really strong.
    Cherundolo - 6.5 Still on good form.
    Edu - 5 Had moments both strong and weak.
    Bradley - 8.5 MOTM. Epic game.
    Donovan - 8 Went missing for stretches in the second half.
    Dempsey - 7 Super worker.
    Altidore - 7 Did well in the second half.
    Gomez - 5 Should have finished before Clint was ever called offside.

Feilhaber - 7 Smart runs and passes.
    Beasley - 5 Not much time to do anything.
    Buddle - 5 Worked hard but lacked the necessary quality.

4. deron

deron New Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Centennial, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what I love about Bradley, and I think too many people find hard to appreciate.

5. fingersave

fingersave Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dempsey was very good in this game despite being constantly brutalized. He scored a goal and put one off of the upright on top of being calm and composed in the midfield when we needed him to be.

6. jamezyjamez

jamezyjamez Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    he was good but missed to many easy chances for me...our poorest finisher on the day.

7. fingersave

fingersave Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By the way, Feilhaber was awesome in pressing the Algerians and creating creases along their back line with nifty touches and quick changes of direction. If Landon didnt snap that ball in the net, Feilhaber was on his way there.

8. nbarbour

nbarbour Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I GIVE IT A 10! A 10!

[​IMG]

9. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Howard - 7 - much improved distribution

Bornstein - 6 - not a liability

Cherundolo - 7 - got forward well

Bocanegra - 7 - did well

DeMerit - 7 - strong play

Bradley - 7

Edu - 6

Dempsey - 7 - finds himself at the end of attacking moves

Donovan - 7 - when he plays well, we win

Altidore - 7 - handful

Gomez - 6 - needs to finish

Feilhaber - 7 - provided spark

Buddle - 6 - trouble holding up on occaison

Bob - 7

10. JohhnyCaps

JohhnyCaps Member

Jul 20, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Demps is all grit and vinegar... love it... refs screwed him on the goal and the no call backhand that split his lip in the box... that was straight red and no-brainer PK...

It could be argued that our main opponents in this this group stage weren't the teams we've played, but the refs that appeared (at times) to purposely job us...

I hate to hear incessant bitching about refs and unfairness when a call doesn't go your way... but we've had enough of them now and in previous cups that the sum-total is more than disturbing...

This group stage was laughable... two legit goals waved off... it is absurd...

11. S.J. Jim

S.J. Jim Member+

Jun 11, 2006
    S.J.
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. He played his part in our second goal also.:cool:

12. dred

dred Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    Land of Champions
    (Posting without reading)

Bradley 8 Took charge from the opening whistle and willed us to win.
    Altidore 7.5 Worked and worked and worked and still had the energy for that last decisive break. Should have scored multiple times, but I say redeemed himself.
    Dempsey 7.5 How to rate Dempsey? He repeatedly worked himself into dangeous spots but fate denied him... what 6 times? Would have been an 8 if he got that open-net left footer on frame. Earned an Algerian sending-off that was missed.
    Donovan 7 Marked out of the match for long stretches, but came up big when we needed it.
    Gomez 6 Looked dangerous in his minutes, it just didn't happen for him.
    Edu 6.5 Big step forward in his possession play from last match. Still not a rock on the ball.
    Cherundolo 7 very effective with the ball when LD was marked out of the match.
    DeMerit 7 Shakey early, but rebounded to dominate the box.
    Bocanegra 7 Filled in for Gooch with error free play.
    Howard 7.5 Wasn't asked to do much, but showed totally confidence the entire game and I think that inspired the team. Obviously the cross bar was needed early.
    Bornstein 6.5 Turned it over a couple of times, but didn't let his man beat him.

Subs:
    Benny 7.5 Best I've ever seen him, was all over the place and made good decisions and touches.
    Buddle 6.5 Generally effective but had some frustrating touches.
    Beas 6.0 Good work rate. Was that a hand ball?

13. komba

komba Member

May 28, 2009
    Bornstein would get abused by a team like Serbia or Germany... He did a nice job in this game, and it was definitely needed, but now the team should move on.

Boca on the outside and back in with Gooch. Otherwise, take our chances with Goodson.

14. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One thing I noticed was that Dempsey and Gomez were canceling each other out. They weren't playing well together - creating space, communicating. Dempsey was so hungry to get the ball in the box that he kept nudging Gomez out. No disrespect to Gomez, though.

15. Deep Wilcox

Deep Wilcox BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. He wasn't a complete disaster though.

16. asdf2

asdf2 Member+

Oct 11, 2004
    San Francisco
    Howard - fine

Boca - fine. looked better in the center.

Cherundolo - having a great tournament as a 2 way fullback at age 32.

Demerit - MOTM - after the one early blunder he dominated the center defense.

Bornstein - kid did fine.

Bradley - he's Mr. Everywhere. great work rate.

Edu - fine. Him and Rico are a bit of a toss up in my opinion.

Landon - found himself too far from goal too often in the first half. Great goal to save our bacon and win the group.

Dempsey - a goal and an assist and a very energetic effort that left him bleeding.

Gomez - I liked us better with Herc out there than Feilhaber. Bradley made the change to add class to our possession but I thought we looked good first half with Gomez peppering shots. And he had an assist.

Altidore - MOTM#2? what an effort. played much harder than usual. like a lot of our team ran out of gas the last 10 minutes.

Feilhaber - I didn't like the tactical change but he played well. I do like that Bradley is gutsy about making halftime changes.

Buddle - looked good in short stint. could and maybe should have buried that header. I'd be fine starting him but as I've said in the past in terms of the marginal starters we need to start what makes sense tactically depending on who our opponent is.

Beas - did fine. added some pep. got undeserved yellow.

17. Ball Chucking Hack

Jan 21, 2005
    Raleigh, NC
    Martin Sheen: -10. He almost put the reverse mojo curse on us by promising a win in the pregme voice over. Martin, you're an errand boy, sent by grocery clerks, to collect a bill.

Except for that, everyone was great.

18. dred

dred Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    Land of Champions
    Hrmmm, obviously had enough in the tank for a 92nd minute fast break burst for the goal.

19. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    Thankfully my scale goes to 11.

20. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exceeded Expectations:
    Altidore
    Bradley
    Bornstein
    DeMerit
    Feilhaber

Met Expectations:
    Donovan
    Cherundolo
    Bocanegra
    Edu
    Howard

Failed to Meet Expectations:
    Dempsey*
    Gomez
    Buddle

*Dempsey is marked down for poor finishing only, because he was a beast throughout the match.

I didn't object to Gomez starting, but I would rather the sequence be first Buddle then Gomez. Buddle takes time to settle in and therefore should start, IMO. Gomez seems to be able to adjust to the match instantly, so is a logical attacking sub.

Bornstein had a very good match. His speed was essential. For those claiming that small defenders like Bornstein will be run over by big Germans/Serbs/Ghanaians and that we must have Gooch back for those matches my question is: what about Cherundolo? Are you going to drop perhaps our best outside defender because of his size? He plays against the best of the B'liga regularly and has been a club mainstay for 11 years. I say start him, and perhaps Bornstein also, depending on the matchup. If our opponent doesn't have great speed on the flanks Bocanegra will do fine. But let's not write off Bornstein (and Cherundolo) right away.

21. chalaron

chalaron Member+

Aug 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge, Louisia
    Methinks you should have waited to write this lol. Giving a 10 just cuz haha. I think Bornstein deserves at least a 6 and i'd say more like a 6.5. He really didn't do anything wrong and I thought played an excellent game. I think DeMerit should be a bit higher personally. As I stated in another thread, the "whiff" at the beginning of the game slightly deflected off the Algerian's shin, which is the only reason he whiffed. Not enough to give him a DeMerit in score. ;)

22. steve-o

steve-o New Member

Nov 14, 2007
    You do realize that ^^^ was a result of this. Or however you want to look at it.

23. Mutiny RIP

Mutiny RIP Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Bradenton, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/statistics/castrolindex/matches.html

Might as well throw these ratings into the discussion.

After each match I have been following the Castrol Index to see how it compares to what my eyes tell me. For example, the Castrol Index consistenly ranks DeMerit much too low in my opinion. However, the ratings Michael Bradley has received generally seem about right.

24. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My ratings

Howard - 10
    Cherundolo - 10
    DeMerit - 10
    Bocanegra - 10
    Bornstein - 10
    Edu - 10
    Bradley - 10
    Dempsey - 10
    Donovan - 11
    Altidore - 10
    Gomez - 10

Feilhaber - 10
    Buddle - 10
    Beasley - 10

1 person likes this.
  25. Mutiny RIP

Mutiny RIP Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Bradenton, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BTW, if any U.S. player has deserved a ten in the last two matches it is Bradley. I think the world is taking notice of his ability. I expect him to make a big move after this tournment.