Player Profile - Eusebio

Discussion in 'SL Benfica' started by tpmazembe, Jan 6, 2006.

1. tpmazembe

tpmazembe Member

Jun 13, 2002
    The Midfield (S.Fla)
    EUSEBIO FERREIRA DA SILVA, aka “Black Panther” or “Black Pearl”

Born: 25 January 1942 in Lourenco Marques/Mozambique.
    Nickname: Pantera Negra
    Position: Centre forward.

Caps:
    Portugal 64 (1961-1973) / 41 goals

League Games:
    Portugal 313 (1960-1975 & 1976-77) / 319 goals
    USA (NASL) 25 (1975-1977) / 4 goals
    Canada 25 (1976) / 18 goals
    Mexico 10 (1975-76) / 1 goal

International Club Games:
    European Champions’ Cup 63 (1961-1974) / 46 goals
    European Cup Winners’ Cup 12 (1966-1975) / 11 goals
    Intercontinental Cup 3 (1971-62) / 2 goals

European Footballer of the Year: 1962 (2nd), 1963 (5th), 1964 (4th), 1965 (winner), 1966 (2nd), 1967 (5th), 1968 (8th), 1970 (22nd), 1972 (15th), 1973 (7th)

Trophies & Tournaments:
    World Cup participant: 1966 (3rd)
    European Champions’ Cup winner: 1962
    European Champions’ Cup beaten finalist: 1963, 1965, 1968
    Portuguese Champion: 1961, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1975
    Portuguese runner-up: 1966, 1970, 1974
    Portuguese Cup winner: 1962, 1964, 1969, 1970*, 1972
    Portuguese Cup finalist: 1965, 1971, 1974, 1975
    Mexican Champion: 1976
    US Champion (NASL): 1976
    Top League Goal Scorer: 1964, 1965, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1970, 1973

* did not play in final.

If you get the opportunity to visit the Estadio da Luz in Lisbon you can’t miss the statue standing in recognition of Benfica’s, Portugal’s and Africa’s greatest player – the likeness of one Eusebio.

Born to a humble family in Mozambique, by the age of 17 Eusebio was the subject of a bidding war. His talent nurtured playing for Sporting de Lourenço Marques, Mozambique; Eusebio signed a contract with Benfica of Portugal. Sporting Lisbon took this to court claiming that the Mozambican club was a feeder club and that priority in obtaining Eusebio’s pass should have been theirs. It took almost six months or wrangling for Benfica to win out, and at the age of 18 Eusebio debuted in their B team. The debut was against Atletico de Lisbao and was auspicious. Eusebio scored a hat trick on the day.

That same year he joined the Portuguese NT which failed to qualify for the WC ’62; however, a year later he scored two goals that helped with the European Cup for Benfica for the second time. That memorable game was against Real Madrid of Puskas and Distefano (5 x 3), the first time Real were to lose a European Cup final match.

He couldn’t stop scoring. He hit 316 in 301 games in the Portuguese league for Benfica, and 97 in 60 games for Copa de Portugal games. In all he scored 727 goals in 715 matches while wearing Benfica's jersey. Until recently he was Portugal’s all-time leading scorer for country with 41 goals in 64 matches.

He was leading scorer in the Portuguese League a total of 7 times, twice European top goalscorer, and Golden Boot for WC 1966 (where he lead his team to the semis against the hosts England, finishing with 9 goals in total). He won 10 league championships, 5 Portuguese cup titles, and made it to 4 CL finals while winning one. His 467 goals in European cup and 11 goals in European cup winners cup gives a healthy 57 European cup goals.

He was skilled in the aerial game, could shoot with both feet (with his right foot shot renown for its accuracy and velocity), was fast on the sprint (he was the under-19 Portuguese champion of 400, 200 and 100 m races) and on the dribble, intelligent and had a sense of positioning. He was elected Ballon D’or as best European footballer on one occasion, and finished runner-up on two other occasions. Despite his goals Portugal did not manage to qualify for either the 1970 (coming in last in a group won by Romania) or 1974 WC (losing out to Bulgaria); thus depriving many of seeing his talents close up.

As was the custom of the great teams of the era, Benfica toured the world and Eusebio’s talents could be appreciated away from Europe. Unfortunately on one of those excursions he seriously hurt his left knee, and despite a successful operation, never fully returned with the same vigor. From that point on a series of nagging injuries began to hamper his career. In 1974, for the first time since 1961, Eusebio was left of a Portuguese NT selection.

At the age of 32 he was sold to the American NASL.

WC 1966
    Unfortunately 1966 would be his only appearance at the WC; however, it would be one to remember. "The Black Pearl" bagged nine goals in the tournament. His most memorable performance was against N.Korea, the surprise of the tournament.

After having eliminated Italy in the group stage, the Koreans seemed to be on their way to continuing their miracle run by going up 3-0 on the Portuguese within the first 25 minutes. When it looked like curtains for the Portuguese, the Black Panther sprung into action. By the 59th minute Portugal was up 4-3, with Eusebio having bagged all four goals. They went on to win 5-3.

His performance that day is the stuff on legend. WC 1966: Portugal x N.Korea

The Battle for Eusebio
    Two interesting stories about how Eusebio came to land in Benfica’s hands.

It seems that Bela Guttmann, Benfica's coach, first heard of Eusebio while talking with Sao Paolo (Brasil)’s coach who was touring Portugal with his team. He told Guttmann about an amazing player he had seen in Portuguese East Africa. The story has it that Guttmann flew out within a week and bought Eusebio.

It’s reported that when the young Eusebio arrived in Portugal, he was whisked away from Lisbon to be hidden away in fishing village in the Algarve until the legal haggling was “resolved.”

Season - Club - Games – Goals – [Caps / Goals]
    1960/61 Benfica Lisboa.............01 / 00
    1961/62 Benfica Lisboa.............17 / 12 [ 5 / 2 ]
    1962/63 Benfica Lisboa.............24 / 23 [ 3 / 1 ]
    1963/64 Benfica Lisboa.............19 / 28 [ 5 / 2 ]
    1964/65 Benfica Lisboa.............20 / 28 [ 6 / 9 ]
    1965/66 Benfica Lisboa.............23 / 25 [13 /12 ]
    1966/67 Benfica Lisboa.............26 / 31 [ 4 / 3 ]
    1967/68 Benfica Lisboa.............24 / 42 [ 3 / 0 ]
    1968/69 Benfica Lisboa.............21 / 10 [ 4 / 2 ]
    1969/70 Benfica Lisboa.............22 / 20 [ 2 / 1 ]
    1970/71 Benfica Lisboa............ 22 / 19 [ 4 / 2 ]
    1971/72 Benfica Lisboa............ 24 / 19 [11 / 4 ]
    1972/73 Benfica Lisboa............ 28 / 40 [ 1 / 0 ]
    1973/74 Benfica Lisboa............ 21 / 16
    1974/75 Benfica Lisboa.............09 / 02
    1975.... Rhode Island Oceaners..Regional
    1975.... Boston Minutemen........08 / 02
    1975/76 CF Monterrey..............10 / 01
    1976.... Toronto Metros Croatia.25 / 18
    1976/77 SC Beira Mar Aveira......12 / 03
    1977.... Las Vegas Quicksilver....17 / 02 [ 4 / 0 ]
    1977.... Uniao de Tomar............Second Division
    1977/78 New Jersey Americans...Regional

European Cup Games:
    Season - Club - Games – Goals
    1961/62 Benfica Lisboa...ECI...07 / 05
    1962/63 Benfica Lisboa...ECI...07 / 06
    1963/64 Benfica Lisboa...ECI...03 / 04
    1964/65 Benfica Lisboa...ECI...08 / 09
    1965/66 Benfica Lisboa...ECI...05 / 07
    1966/67 Benfica Lisboa...ECII..04 / 04
    1967/68 Benfica Lisboa...ECI...09 / 06
    1968/69 Benfica Lisboa...ECI...04 / 01
    1969/70 Benfica Lisboa...ECI...04 / 04
    1970/71 Benfica Lisboa...ECII..04 / 07
    1971/72 Benfica Lisboa...ECI...08 / 01
    1972/73 Benfica Lisboa...ECI...04 / 01
    1973/74 Benfica Lisboa...ECI...04 / 02
    1974/75 Benfica Lisboa...ECII..04 / 00

2. tpmazembe

tpmazembe Member

Jun 13, 2002
    The Midfield (S.Fla)
    This thread is dedicated to Eusebio, so all comments, additions, corrections, questions, discussions are welcome.

Everyone feel free to comment.

There are many others all-time greats you can review here:The BigSoccer Profiles Thread

3. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    Posted both here and in tpmazembe's piece in the link above.

If ever there was an archetypal modern day striker playing in a past era it is Eusebio. He was Vieri, Adriano, Batistuta, Shevchenko before they were even born. His pace would not be out of place in the modern game nor would his way of playing need much modification for Eusebio to slot into a modern day side and thrive. Eusebio had one of the most powerful and accurate long range shots in history anything from 35yards out was fair game and this created a huge problem for opposing defenders, you either close Eusebio down or he takes a blistering shot that had the potential to sting a keepers hands from improbable distances and angles.

It wasn’t only the colour of his skin that earned him the nickname ‘The Black Panther’ he got the moniker because of his style of play From appearing apparently docile and disinterested around about the centre circle, Eusebio could burst out of his deceptive demeanour and into a fully fledged predator, sprinting away from his markers and an entire backline with every powerful stride. He was a champion sprinter and throughout a season he would display this amazing facet dozens of times. What was even more impressive than his ability to leave players for dead was the ability to keep stride pattern with the ball and incorporate a blistering shot into synchronization with the end of a run to goal. This often left goalkeepers rooted to the spot unsure whether to attempt to come out and smother the ball or stay on their line and wait for the shot to be unleashed. It could be argued that no other player did this particular style of play quite as frequently as Eusebio. It became one of the trademark attributes of his game and before long his was a name to be feared in his domestic league, Europe and the world stage.

Although there did come a time where Eusebio was forced to operate and most importantly, understand that working as part of a team, for the team was sometimes more useful than doing it all by himself. After the 1962 world cup, Fernando Riera succeeded Bela Guttman as manager of Benefica. He made sure that Eusebio did not develop a complacent streak and told the player in no uncertain terms that he must pull his weight and actually help his team-mates more. Eusebio took the comments to heart and vowed to learn from them “He had good reason to criticise me. I dribbled on my own, I scored on my own. Of course I kept doing this because it was successful, because I found I really could beat a whole defence time after time. But I overdid it.” From this point onward Eusebio learnt and functioned exceptionally well as a team-player. He still made his trademark runs and scored magical goals, but by now he understood that he had other duties like helping his team-mates in defensive situations or to close out tight games.

During his ascension to the top of Europe’s elite Eusebio was often referred too as the European Pele. This was a label the player himself always aimed to quell “ I find it a very agreeable comparison, but an incorrect and premature one. Pele, with his remarkable individual skill, can regularly win matches on his own. I cannot succeed in doing that.” Maybe a little modest on Eusebio’s part, but at the same time clearly the signs of a man with both feet firmly planted on the ground in the midst of excitable appraisal from the certain sections of the press of the time. World Soccer magazine had a different take on the player:
    The European Pele also had some Pele-like problems due to his extraordinary pace and talent – close marking, rough housing, exceptional provocation, anything at all to put him off his game and enable his markers the chances they would not otherwise have to contain The Black Panther. Dave Mackay of Tottenham Hotpsur was the roughest player Eusebio said he had ever encountered. “He was a model of improper play. Vicente, the Belenenses half back, marked Pele when we played in Brazil and did not commit a single foul. He is my ideal defender – effective but exemplary.” Strangely, when asked who were his toughest opponents in international play Eusebio replied “Mackay of Scotland and Masopust of Czechoslovakia”

From a modern perspective it is interesting to note just how fast Eusebio was. It was alluded to in the first paragraph and has been stated in tpmazembe’s profile that Eusebio was a champion sprinter over numerous distances. So how fast could he run? At 16 years of age Eusebio clocked 11seconds flat for 100m the player was well aware of just how fast he was and what pace meant (and still means) in football. “ I am quite sure my speed has greatly contributed to my success as a football player. Sprinting is a very important part of my training. Skills can be perfected only to a point, but the speed at which they can be performed is always capable of being sharpened. My experience has been that the best way of getting through the retreating defence is to have two very fast wingers who can beat the opposition in speed, thus allowing their colleagues to be able to receive the ball in a more favourable position for a shot at goal.”

One of the reasons I myself am so interested in Eusebio is because of the type of player he was, his concepts and theories of the game are in evidence right now and his raw pace, power and precision are almost unheard of in the modern game even. He is one of those players for the ages and most certainly one to put naysayer’s of celebrated older era players in their place. Statistics alone tell you a lot about the kind of player he was. Even now, in the modern game, try and reel off 10 top class strikers who can run 100m in 10 or so seconds. Remember, he was clocking 11seconds for 100m at 16yrs old, by the time he was a grown man he would have no doubt been faster. Unfortunately, there were no speed guns to clock how hard and fast a ball travelled when struck in the 60’s, but to estimate the ferocity and velocity of a Eusebio shot we must surely be talking 70-85mph with a ball 3 times heavier then the ones today’s pros get to use, on often shoddy, mud-stricken pitches today’s players wouldn’t dream of playing football on. The next time you think of Eusebio, remember just why he was called The Black Panther.

*All of Eusebio’s comments are taken from the 1964, January and May issues of World Soccer magazine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Zezinho

Zezinho New Member

Jul 13, 2004
    Mississauga, ON
    Parabéns Rei Eusébio :)

Our greatest ever is 64 years young today.

We hope you to give you your present on Saturday!

5. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    I wish i could of seen Eusebio get 4 goals passed the North Koreans. Must of been an insane comeback after Portugal was down 3-0.

The only feeling that must come close to this was when Portugal was down 2-0 to England and came back to win 3-2.

6. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    This game is available on Video...it is something every Eusebio and Portuguese fan should own...this was an amazing comeback by Portugal and an amazing display by Eusebio.

I had the pleasure of meeting him at the Portuguese Club in Elizabeth NJ back in the Late Seventies. My most found memory is of him waiting for us outside of "Portuguese School" were he signed autographs for every child that was there.

7. benficafan100

benficafan100 New Member

Jun 29, 2004
    Oshawa Ontario
    This is my opinion but i believe this should be pinned but thats my opinion i won't whine about it if it isnt or anything lol

but Eusebio,the great!

8. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
  9. ChopSoccerDude

Dec 3, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal