Player of the Year candidates

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by Sandon Mibut, Nov 1, 2004.

1. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I thought I'd get a debate going as to who should be favorites for the National Player of the Year award.

Here are some candidates and why they are deserving. Feel free to add others, but please make a case for them.

Bouna Coundoul, Sr. GK, Albany (11-3-2) -
    16 gms, 0.30 g.a.a., 943 save pct., 82 saves,

Hunter Freeman, Jr. M, Virginia (14-3-0) -
    17 gms, 2 goals, 20 ast

Jason Garey, Jr. F, Maryland (12-4-1) -
    17 gms, 16 goals, 9 ast

Sasha Gotsmanov, Sr. F, Rhode Island (9-5-2) -
    18 gms, 19 goals, 6 ast

C.J. Klaas, Sr. D, Washington (11-3-2) -
    16 gms, 4 goals, 5 ast, 0.52 team g.a.a.

Tony Lockhead, Sr. D, UC Santa Barbara (13-2-1) -
    14 gms, 0 gls, 2 ast., 0.60 team g.a.a.

Guy Melamed, Sr. D, Boston College (11-3-2) -
    16 gms, 0 goals, 4 ast, 0.43 team g.a.a.

Drew Moor, Jr. D, Indiana (13-3-1) -
    17 gms, 2 gls, 0 ast, 0.62 team g.a.a.

Randi Patterson, So. F, UNC-Greensboro (16-0-1) -
    17 gms, 16 goals, 7 ast

Ryan Pore, Jr. F, Tulsa (9-5-2),
    16 gms, 17 goals, 8 ast

Jeff Rowland, Jr. F, New Mexico (13-1-1) -
    15 gms, 17 goals, 3 ast

Chris Sawyer, Sr. GK, Notre Dame (13-2-2) -
    17 gms, 0.40 g.a.a., .844 save pct., 38 saves

Thoughts?

(For those that care, Lockhead (New Zealand) and Melamed (Israel) are foreign players who came to the US to play soccer while Coundoul (Senegal) and Gotsmanov (Ukraine) were born abroad but went to HS in the United States.

Also, Freeman and Patterson are both 85s and thus young enough to be age-eligible for the current US U20 team and the 2008 Olympic team.)

Of course, since very few of the above players were on the MAC-Hermann's "players to watch" list, they likely won't be considered even though they are most-deserving.

2. LuvDaBears

LuvDaBears New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    USA
    What exactly is the criteria used to determine a player of the year? For example, could a defender win this award without much in the way of offensive stats? How important are stats? Could a keeper win? If so, does he have to have a certain percentage of clean sheets? How important is the team's record? Does he have to play in a major conference? Since rating soccer players is more subjective than any other sports, how is a player of the year determined?

3. outofbounds

outofbounds New Member

Apr 30, 2004

My vote would go to a guy like Jacob Peterson at Indiana. Maybe a Brad Guzan at South Carolina or Scott Sealy at Wake Forest. You will not see a guy win that has big numbers and his team plays nobody- Gotsmanov or Coundol. These other guys play against top teams all year round- I would also give a nod to Jason Garey at UMD.

4. bigdush

bigdush New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Parker, CO
    Which is a good reason to give it to Bouna. 82 saves........holy crap.

Looks like his defense is outmatched much of the time, but by their win loss record and his number of saves, he keeps them in every game.

Never seen him play though...............

5. NGV

NGV Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Yeah, a .943 save percentage is pretty impressive regardless of who you're playing against.

6. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    It's subjective in any sport but moreso in soccer. I like to take into account how much they've helped their team which is why I included the team's record.

Yes, that's why I included Moor and Melamed in the list. Last year Chris Wingert won the MAC Hermann and didn't have great offensive stats.

I would say fairly important, especially since in college soccer the games aren't on TV and very few of the voters see all the top players and they certainly don't see them all a lot.

But, winning helps a lot too. When Chris Gbandi was Player of the Year, he had OK offensive stats for a back but what really helped him was that he'd made his team so much better.

Yes, a GK can win it. Tony Meola and Brad Friedel were Players of the Year in 89 and 92. I don't think they need to have a certain number of shutouts but a good GAA, save percentage and save total certainly help. It's damn sure why I listed the kid from Albany; it's a small school and the level of competition isn't as high as at bigger programs, but those numbers are pretty eye-popping.

I think it's very difficult to win a Player of the Year award being on a bad team. That's not just in soccer but in most sports. When was the last time the Heisman winner wasn't in a bowl game at the end of the year? I can't think of a MAC or Hermann winner in recent years whose team didn't at least make the NCAA Tournament.

I think it helps. Joseph Ngwenya lead the nation in scoring twice at Coastal Carolina and while he was an All-American, he wasn't the Player of the Year. Same with John Wolyniec, who was among the national scoring leaders at Fordham, and back in the day, Dante Washington at Radford. He lead the nation in scoring twice but was never a MAC or Hermann winner.

See above. It is all subjective. And, remember, they're not picking the "best player" but what player had the best year. It's still subjective but it's easier to pick who had the best year. The best player? In theory, that's the job of the pro teams. Last year, the first college player taken in the draft was Chad Marshall. Thus, it's safe to conclude he was considered the best college player. But he didn't come close to being the Player of the Year because A) he's a defender and didn't have great stats and B) his team sucked last year.

7. LuvDaBears

LuvDaBears New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    USA
    I think Parkurst from Wake has to be considered.

8. Carolina

Carolina Member

Dec 6, 2000
    CONCACAF
    I've been a strong supporter of Micheal as well, but, for him to have a chance, Wake has to do a lot better in the ACC & National tournaments than in recent past. I think they are peaking at the right time this year, but we'll start to see next week.

9. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    Danny O'Rourke has had an excellent year. In addition to captaining the defending champs, he's stepped his game up to another level. Best anticipation by a D-mid I've seen, wins everything and is scoring unassisted goals.

Part of this is the greater freedom Freitag gives his players. Regardless, Danny has flourished this year.

BRF

10. rgrayson

rgrayson New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    Sasha all the way. Of course Im biased but the way he plays is just awesome. Hoping to watch him get #20 tomorrow.

11. big bonnie

big bonnie New Member

Jul 13, 2002
  12. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
    2005 MISSOURI ATHLETIC CLUB'S HERMANN TROPHY MEN'S SEMIFINALISTS

Jason Garey, Jr., Forward, Gonzalez, La., Maryland

Kevin Goldthwaite, Sr., Midfielder, Sacramento, Calif., Notre Dame

Matt Groenwald, Sr., Midfielder, Mt. Prospect, Ill., St. John's

Brad Guzan, So., Goalkeeper, Homer Glen, Ill., South Carolina

Will John, So., Forward, Kansas City, Mo., Saint Louis

C.J. Klaas, Sr. Defender, Cherry Valley, Ill., Washington

Aaron Lopez, Sr., Defender, Santa Barbara, Calif., UCLA

Guy Melamed, Sr., Defender, Nofit, Israel, Boston College

Drew Moor, Jr., Defender, Dallas, Texas, Indiana

Julian Nash, Sr. Forward, San Leandro, Calif., Creighton

Danny O'Rourke, Sr., Midfielder, Columbus, Ohio, Indiana

Ryan Pore, Jr., Forward, Mansfield, Ohio, Tulsa

Gonzalo Segares, Sr., Defender, San Jose, Calif., Virginia Commonwealth

Jack Stewart, Sr. Midfielder, Torrance, Calif., Notre Dame

Abe Thompson, Sr., Forward, Fairfax Station, Va., Maryland

Class Breakdown:

10 Seniors
    3 Juniors
    2 Sophmores

Geographical Breakdown:

2 Maryland ACC
    2 Nortre Dame Big East
    2 Indiana Big 10
    1 South Carolina Independant
    1 Boston College Big East
    1 St. Johns Big East
    1 UCLA Pacific 10
    1 Washington Pacific 10
    1 Creighton MVC
    1 Tulsa MVC
    1 Saint Louis U C-USA
    1 Virginia Commonwealth CAA

13. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
    Hunter Freeman appears to have been hosed.

14. LuvDaBears

LuvDaBears New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    USA
    Almost all college players get "Bersonized" (hosed) at one time or another. Unfortunately it's part of the college game.

15. bigdush

bigdush New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Parker, CO
    I think you can add Sawyer from Notre Dame to the list of those who got the shaft.

16. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I started this thread and nominated a handful of players for Player of the Year. A few days later, the MAC Hermann committee announced their 15 finalists for the award.

Here’s an updated look at all the players nominated. Stats are current.

MY LIST- Players in bold also nominated by MAC HERMANN

Bouna Coundoul, Sr. GK, Albany (12-4-2) -
    18 gms, 0.54 g.a.a., 901 save pct., 91 saves,

Hunter Freeman, Jr. D, Virginia (17-4-0) -
    21 gms, 2 goals, 21 ast, 0.90 team g.a.a.

Jason Garey, Jr. F, Maryland (15-5-1) -
    21 gms, 20 goals, 9 ast

Sasha Gotsmanov, Sr. F, Rhode Island (12-8-1) -
    21 gms, 19 goals, 8 ast

C.J. Klaas, Sr. D, Washington (11-5-2) -
    18 gms, 5 goals, 5 ast, 0.76 team g.a.a.

Tony Lockhead, Sr. D, UC Santa Barbara (17-2-1) -
    18 gms, 0 gls, 4 ast., 0.53 team g.a.a.

Guy Melamed, Sr. D, Boston College (12-4-2) -
    18 gms, 1 goal, 4 ast, 0.48 team g.a.a.

Drew Moor, Jr. D, Indiana (14-4-1) -
    19 gms, 3 gls, 0 ast, 0.66 team g.a.a.

Randi Patterson, So. F, UNC-Greensboro (18-2-1) -
    21 gms, 18 goals, 8 ast

Ryan Pore, Jr. F, Tulsa (10-6-3),
    19 gms, 18 goals, 10 ast

Jeff Rowland, Jr. F, New Mexico (16-1-1) -
    18 gms, 18 goals, 5 ast

Chris Sawyer, Sr. GK, Notre Dame (13-2-3) -
    18 gms, 0.37 g.a.a., .854 save pct., 41 saves

The MAC HERMANN AWARD nominees for 2004
    Jason Garey, Jr., Forward, Gonzalez, La., Maryland
    See above

Kevin Goldthwaite, Sr., Midfielder, Sacramento, Calif., Notre Dame (13-2-3)
    11 games, 0 goals, 2 assists, 0.37 team g.a.a.

Matt Groenwald, Sr., Midfielder, Mt. Prospect, Ill., St. John's (10-5-4)
    17 games, 3 goals, 6 assists, 0.75 team g.a.a.

Brad Guzan, So., Goalkeeper, Homer Glen, Ill., South Carolina (12-6-1)
    19 games, 1.25 g.a.a, .802 save pct., 101 saves

Will John, So., Forward, Kansas City, Mo., Saint Louis (9-8-1)
    18 games, 10 goals, four assists

C.J. Klaas, Sr. Defender, Cherry Valley, Ill., Washington
    See above

Aaron Lopez, Sr., Defender, Santa Barbara, Calif., UCLA (13-3-2)
    16 games, 2 goals, 0 assists, 0.81 team g.a.a.

Guy Melamed, Sr., Defender, Nofit, Israel, Boston College
    See Above

Drew Moor, Jr., Defender, Dallas, Texas, Indiana
    See above

Julian Nash, Sr. Forward, San Leandro, Calif., Creighton (13-4-1)
    18 games, 6 goals, 8 assists

Danny O'Rourke, Sr., Midfielder, Columbus, Ohio, Indiana (14-4-1)
    18 games, 2 goals, 2 assists, 0.66 team g.a.a.

Ryan Pore, Jr., Forward, Mansfield, Ohio, Tulsa
    See above

Gonzalo Segares, Sr., Defender, San Jose, Calif., Virginia Commonwealth (11-5-2)
    18 games, 3 goals, 0 assists, 0.85 team g.a.a.

Jack Stewart, Sr. Midfielder, Torrance, Calif., Notre Dame (13-2-3)
    18 games, 2 goals, 0 assists, 0.37 team g.a.a.

Abe Thompson, Sr., Forward, Fairfax Station, Va., Maryland (15-4-1)
    15 games, 11 goals, 6 assists

Some of the names the MAC Hermann threw out that I didn’t are very legit Player of the Year candidates.

I mean, Brad Guzan with 101 saves in 19 games. If you’re goalie’s that busy, you have no business being in the postseason and the fact the Cocks are in is a testament to him.

Jack Stewart anchors the best defense in the country. Yeah, he has help, including one of the best GKs, but still, he deserves mention.

And, stats don’t tell the story with defensive midfielders, never have, never will. But, Danny O’Rourke is as good as any in the country and he deserves his love.

And, obviously the guys I threw out above I have no qualms with. HOWEVAH…

Some of these nominations are just a frikkin’ joke. While Stewart totally deserves to be nominated, what’s up with Kevin Goldthwaite getting a nod despite having played just 11 games? Please. Over a guy like Lockhead? No way.

Will John? I’m sorry but to be a Player of the Year you need to have your team more than a game above .500 and if you’re a forward, you damn sure need to score more than 10 goals.

Abe Thompson? Please. Since when does the POY miss a quarter of his teams games and only score 11 goals. Julian Nash? Um, no. If a forward is gonna only score SIX goals, he damn sure better have more than eight assists if he’s gonna be POY.

Matt Groenwald is a good two-way player, but unless he’s playing on the backline or is a pure D-mid – and unless he’s changed positions, he’s not – a midfielder needs to have more than three goals and six assists, and help his team to more than 10 wins to be a Player of the Year.

I’m not saying these guys are bad players. In fact, they’re good players and most of them will have good pro careers. But, this isn’t about who the best player or best pro prospect is. If it was about the best prospect, it would likely be some undergraduate P40 candidate like Jamie Watson or a stud like Knox Cameron, who missed most of the year because of injury.

No, this is supposed to be about who had the better year and there’s no way you can tell me that guys like Groenwald, Goldthwaite, Thompson, Nash and John had better years than Hunter Freeman, who leads the nation AS A DEFENDER with 21 assists on a 16-win team, or Jeff Rowand, whose averaging a goal a game for a team with one loss, or Tony Lockhead, whose defense is giving up a half a goal per and whose team only has two losses or Sasha Gotsamov, who lead the nation in scoring going into the last week of the season, or Chris Sawyer, who had the lowest GAA in the country, or Randi Patterson, whose 18 goals had his team undefeated for most of the season.

All of them are more deserving Player of the Year nominees then the ones I – and probably a lot of other people – take exception with.

Having said all that, none of the players I feel got snubbed should be the Player of the Year, at least up to this point.

If voting was done solely based on regular seasons and conference tournaments, for those teams that play them, the MAC Hermann and other national Player of the Year awards for 2004 should go to Jason Garey.

His 20 goals is the best in the country and he’s also added nine assists and he has made a good Maryland team a threat to make it back to the Final Four. If I had a vote, he’d get mine.

17. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Gotsmanov, does he have a green card? Also, should we expect Garey, Rowland et al to go MLS?

18. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    No one has any thoughts on who the Player of the Year should be?

19. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only guy I have seen on that list is Ryan Pore...kid has my vote he was awesome against us.

20. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    If he leads Tulsa past Penn State, it's gonna greatly help his cause.

21. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Although he's apparently out of the running, I cannot help but root for this guy.

http://ucsbgauchos.collegesports.com/sports/m-soccer/mtt/lochhead_tony00.html

22. Sammys

Sammys New Member

Mar 5, 2002
    Virginia
    My vote goes to Jason Garey,Maryland.

23. LuvDaBears

LuvDaBears New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    USA
    I think you have to go with Hunter Freeman of Virginia. He's an outside back who leads the country in assists. That's impressive. He runs down the best forwards the ACC has to offer, he creates most of UVA's offense, takes most of the free kicks, and keeps possession during the run of play. He's also good in the air, and gets stuck in. This guy is a baller, and has to be the best two-way player in the country. He was very impressive at the ACC tournament. If he's not on the Herrmann award list, something is seriously wrong. What gives? I though Big Game George had clout?

24. Kappa18

Kappa18 New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Beitar Jerusalem FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    My vote goes to Guy Melamed :D

25. stopper4

stopper4 Member

Jan 24, 2000
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Garey, but I'm incredibly biased.

I need a Louisianaian to root for in MLS.