Player of the Season

Discussion in 'Premier League' started by coach20, Mar 12, 2009.

1. coach20

coach20 New Member

Dec 10, 2008
    N.Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    my nominations are

nemanja vidic ryan giggs ashely young phil jagelka maurene fellani.

should even be in that order.

Young for Young player closely followed by Johnny evans

whats everyones views??

2. BoltonMassiv

BoltonMassiv Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Bolton
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    My views are as follows: You should learn to spell
    You should learn grammar
    Why on earth do you support Reading and Man U? How does that work?
    You're from Northern Ireland..
    Just support Celtic or Liverpool like the rest of your island.

3. KumarsS

KumarsS Member

Jul 10, 2007
    Champaign, IL
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Best players for each of the top 4 sides right now have thus far been Vidic, Gerrard, Lampard and Barry.

Season's far from over, though.

4. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    None of your busines
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It is between Lampard and Vidic for me, both have been unbelievable this season.

5. Republic of Mancunia

Aug 24, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'm not sure if Ashley Young is eligible for the young player of the year award. All I've seen on it is that a player must be under the age of 23 and he is 23. Does anyone know?

Was thinking along the lines of U21 and other age-group football where 21 year-olds (and sometimes even older) players can play where they use a particular date the player has to be born after as a cut-off. Young was still 22 when the season started in terms of the transfer window opening but was 23 before a ball was kicked. Not sure on that one.

If he can win it and I could vote I'd go with him. If he can't, I'd probably go for Stephen Ireland. Guess other candidates, some more deserving than others would be Agbonlahor, Fellaini, Denilson, Fabregas, Richards and Evans. Fabregas and Richards perhaps a bit on repuation; don't think either should win but wouldn't be surprised to see them nominated. Evans, whilst being very capable when he's come into the United line-up probably hasn't played enough to bag the award.

For the main one, I'd go with Vidic although the fact that he's a defender could just go against him.

6. KumarsS

KumarsS Member

Jul 10, 2007
    Champaign, IL
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If Mikel John Obi doesn't at least make the shortlist for Young Player, I'll scream bloody murder.

7. Republic of Mancunia

Aug 24, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Forgot about him,(!) and whilst I wouldn't be screaming any kind of murder if he doesn't make that shortlist, would assume he'd have a good chance to be included.

8. GranCanMan

GranCanMan Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think they have to be 23 or under at the start of the season. Young turned 23 in July so he's eligable because he doesn't turn 24 until this July, by which time the league will be finished. I might be wrong though.

I think Giggs has been ok but only in the last 3 months, not all season. Lampard has been good but the "stop-start" nature of Chelsea's season might work against him. Gerrard has been pretty good but, by the standards he has set for himself in previous season, he's not playing at his best.

Vidic is the stand out player for me. His goal against Inter was his 7th this season which is fantastic for a centre-half and he's been absolutely amazing at the back for Utd. I don't think his position will affect his chances because his form and importance has been highlighted in just about every media outlet I've been subjected to over the last 6 months. Wide spread praise, the sort of which Vidic has been lavished with this season, usually results in an award of some sort. If he doesn't win the FA award he's almost certainly a shoe-in for the PFA award. Also, the Football Writers award nominations have to be submitted shortly, well before the end of the season. Barring a terrible drop in form I can't see that going anywhere else seeing as the other contenders have yet to make any truly eye-catching contributions so far and Vidic has consistantly been one of the top 2 or 3 players on the pitch every time he's played.

Really, the mind boggles at how good a value we got him for. £7m? Jesus, he's worth 4 times that at the moment.

9. coach20

coach20 New Member

Dec 10, 2008
    N.Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I support reading as my cousins Noel and stephen play for them...

And i have supported man utd all my life.. I aint one of the glory hunters who tagged along when we started winning.. As for celtic and liverpool i hate them with a passion

10. BoltonMassiv

BoltonMassiv Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Bolton
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    It's still stupid to support 2 teams that will be facing each other next season, but at least you have a bit of a reason. How can you hate them with a passion when you have absolutely no reason to? This is why I don't understand this 'Foe' thing, most people don't even live in the same ********ing country nevermind City as their favourite team, so how on earth do you have any hatred, nothing has happened to you, you have not experienced anything first hand, all you know is that "I shouldn't like this team because I hear it is closeby to the team I support" or "20 years ago they were our biggest rivals!!!" Now this wasn't a rant solely at you, and you probably have more reason than most to dislike a team. I presume you are Protestant.

11. BoltonMassiv

BoltonMassiv Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Bolton
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Mikel doesn't deserve it, he's been too inconsistant this year, many poor displays and then one or 2 good ones. Stephen Ireland is much more deserving for Young Player.

12. KumarsS

KumarsS Member

Jul 10, 2007
    Champaign, IL
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Mikel has hardly been inconsistent when compared to other candidates. Even Ireland's form, which I agree has been stunning overall, has dropped off a bit since the break. Lampard and Cech get a lot of credit for Chelsea still having an outside chance in the title race but Mikel's contribution to the midfield, even in the face of Scolari's inflexible tactics, has been massive.

13. GranCanMan

GranCanMan Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Not that this is my quarrel to involve myself in but there could be any number of reasons that someone hates a club.

It could be the songs the supporters sing about your club? It could be the things their players say before they play each other? It could be a rivalry thing based on club success?

I known that if I was born in another country and supported United still I'd hate Liverpool because of the songs that their supporters sing regarding Munich, or maybe the way that Alan Smiths ambulance was attacked by Liverpool fans when he was on his way to hospital with a dislocated and fractured ankle. Or it might be the way that their fans, as a result of supporting a highly successful side themselves, have a tendancy to dismiss any succes the club enjoy based on the principle of "18-5". It could be the way their plaggy supporters trashed Old Trafford after we had the good grace to host their FA Cup semi-final there a couple of years back?

You don't have to live in, or come from Manchester in order to hate Liverpool.

Just a few thoughts.

For the record, I haven't got a problem with Celtic myself, but I do hate Liverpool with a passion. Not the City. And funnnily enough most of their supporters are ok as well, but some are complete ****..............

14. coach20

coach20 New Member

Dec 10, 2008
    N.Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic

no im catholic..... and like the comment above me i hate liverpool due to years of rivalry and the chants thrown at us and thru chants we send back at them...

I hate celtic due to the fact the actually think they can call themselfs as good as united because no matter wat the end up in the top 2 when there is only two teams in the league capable of a challenge

And it

15. JaredSS07

JaredSS07 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What does any of this have to do with player of the year? Stop thread jacking and ranting at people for no reason.

I vote Vidic for player of the season and Ireland for young player. If the player of the season award goes to a midfielder or striker, it will only be because no one values defense enough.

16. BoltonMassiv

BoltonMassiv Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Bolton
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    It's irrelevant. But I suppose you could claim it was building towards a comment on player of the year, now you are just posting pointless stuff that obviously could have been PM'ed. Hypocrisy yes.

I would say the difference between Mikel and Ireland is that Mikel is playing in a team that will succeed whereas Ireland has been agreeably an inconsistant player albeit in an inconsistant team. I'm not sure as to Gary Cahill's age, I know he's about 23/24 but if he is still eligible for Young player he would definitely win it.

17. Gmak

Gmak BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 13, 2005
    Player of Season: Vidic
    Yuoung Player of the season: L. Young/ Ireland

Giggs nomination is simply ridiculous. He's been great but has not played enough games to even be considered.

18. Barton8

Barton8 New Member

Jun 19, 2006
    Club:
    Portsmouth FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If Bendtner had converted his numerous chances, he would easily have been a leading contender for this award!

19. L-E Dude

L-E Dude New Member

Jul 4, 2006
    Without a doubt, Stephen Ireland for Young Player of the Season.

I would say he is still largely a raw talent, but I think he has begun to harness his extraordinary vision/creativity. He displays a confidence on the ball that would make him twice as much of an impact as John Obi if surrounded by the same quality players.

Still prone to rash decisions, but his progress over the past few seasons (i think) has been massive.

I would say Vidic is the front runner. CB for the league leaders and most minutes played in the squad. Consistency (until today of course).

20. BoltonMassiv

BoltonMassiv Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Bolton
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    I don't think Ireland will amount to anything in the world of football and fully expect him to be sold in the summer to a UEFA Cup hopeful team, someone like Sunderland, Bolton or Fulham. This will be the best season of his career, I am sure.

21. L-E Dude

L-E Dude New Member

Jul 4, 2006
    You're right. Unless he gets on your testosterone regimen he'll never have the BALLS to amount to anything! I am sure. PERIOD.

Forntunately for my position, you can make that same assertion about any of the names mentioned for YPoftheY this year - there is no Fabregas or Ronaldo this year. I am sure.

22. Grinners89

Grinners89 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 8, 2007
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Xabi Alonso has been better than Gerrard this season. Xabi has been Liverpool's best and most consistent player.

23. GranCanMan

GranCanMan Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  24. Gmak

Gmak BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 13, 2005
    He has natural talent. Im hoping he would up his game the same way Lampard did when Abramovich came to Chelsea.

25. BoltonMassiv

BoltonMassiv Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Bolton
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    I don't believe he has the natural talent at all. I think he has just had a good season. Ireland is only being looked at by less ambitious clubs than City, so he is never going to be a Lampard.