Player Moves

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by betes, Dec 15, 2005.

1. betes

betes New Member

Apr 13, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Sorry if these things have already been discussed, but looking at a washington post article about DCs roster moves a few days ago led me to a few thoughts about the Fire. In the article they listed the 10 biggest salaries in the league, of which Sanneh and Armas are two. They also mentioned that Dema might not be resigned because he has a rather big price tag (@150K). If we get rid of Sanneh's salary we would have more than enough room for dema, which seems like a step up for our mid-field to me. Any thoughts on that, or other potential moves based on reports about other players who might come available?

2. NotAbbott

NotAbbott Member

Oct 11, 1999
    My Own Little World
    Sanneh's contract is guaranteed, so we'd either have to find someone dumb enough to take the full contract (and not even Colorado was dumb enough to do that with regard to Mathis), or we'd likely wind up paying part of his salary anyway. To that end, I think Columbus is still paying part of his salary, but we might still be paying part of Razov's, so it's a wash.

Point being, there are very few options available to get rid of Sanneh's salary.

Later,
    COZ

3. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To quote a fellow Fire fan on this very topic:

4. alf

alf Member+

Jun 29, 1999
    Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Shall I be the first to say.... Bring back Diego!!!!!

I know we have plenty of skilled left sided players in Guerrero, Segares, and Mapp, as well as central players in Marsch, Armas, Pause, Buete, but I would definetely welcome Diego back. He is one of my all time favorite Fire players.

5. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seconded.

6. betes

betes New Member

Apr 13, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    I like DG too and I think his experience would be great for us.
    Thanks for the info on Sanneh. I assume Armas situation is the same...not that I think we should get rid of him...

7. Liviu

Liviu New Member

Jul 12, 2005
    Illinois, USA
    At 33 y/o and $120,000 salary? Uhmm, NO. Segares and Guerrero will do just fine, thank you.

8. VfB Feuerwehr

VfB Feuerwehr New Member

Feb 28, 2005
    In the Cube-Forest
    I try not to get to sentimental about the past when looking for players to fill the roster of tomorrow.

How many years does he have left? If he's going to be Robin Frasier and get another 5 or 6 years, then awesome. If he's going to do 1 or 2 then I'm not as sure. Have his skills started to slip? Has he lost any pace? Will he be injury prone? How will he fit into the salary cap? There are a lot of questions to ask, and then of course the club has to decide if they want a more veteran team or if they're looking for a younger player or a young player (younger meaning mid to late 20's, young meaning 18-23). You have to figure out which veterans you're going to be retaining and if you need more veterans around. If you have too many, you want to plan for the future. I don't know enough of Diego's current situation to say yes or no to bringing him back, just that at 33, it becomes a little bit more complicated then say at 28.

9. bing1985

bing1985 Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Near West ChiSuburbs
    Yep - sorry to say it because I was sad to lose DG in the first place. But as we are not able to shed Sanneh, and unlikely to shed Marsch - I think he would be redundant and expensive.

10. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    He was a good player...5 years ago.

11. betes

betes New Member

Apr 13, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    so what about dema?