Player Eligibility and Switching National Teams: Case Studies & General Discussion

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, Jun 21, 2012.

1. puertorricane

puertorricane Red Card

Feb 4, 2012
    Carolina PR
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

Magic? WTF are you talking about, catalonia produces some good footballers yes but is not because of la masia. Argentina and brasil produce a lot of footballers, some of the best in the world and in history and it has nothing to do with football academies.

Japan has a couple of world class players yes but it is because they got lucky, some countries produce great players every other year. Some just get lucky once in a while and it has to do about the culture of the sport in that country not about academies.

You know how much money Qatar has spend hiring the best coaches, trainers, teachers in the world to try and compete and still they suck at it.

This whole debate started because you said that barca had a lot to do with messi being the player he is and that he was made there and not in argentina. If la masia is so good why they cant produce more messi like players.

If la massia is so good why they have to buy Song and were after thiago silva and now are after neymar.

And PR doesnt have a football culture nor history, we hardly play the game here. So is not about not having academies either.

[]__[]

Rickdog and Kebbie Gazauzkas repped this.
  2. yoni

yoni New Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Hi,

Puskas ( Hungary to Spain)
    Jose Santamaria ( Uruguay to Spain)
    Pizzi ( Argentina to Spain)
    Donato ( Brazil to Spain)
    Marcos Senna ( Brazil to Spain)
    Alfredo Di Stefano ( Argentina to Spain)
    Catanha ( Brazil To Spain)
    Christiansen ( Denmark to Spain)
    Thiago Alcantara ( Brazil to Spain)
    Eulogio Martinez ( Paraguay to Spain)
    Amorebieta ( Spain to Venezuela)
    Altafini (Brazil to Italy)
    Schiaffino ( Uruguay to Italy) - World Champion 1950
    Luisito Monti ( Argentina to Italy) - World Champion 1934
    Raimondo Orsi ( Argentina to Italy) - World Champion 1934

I dont remember more.

Regards,

Yoni

3. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The way it used to be is that a NT was always composed mainly of players from the most numerous ethnia in that country. So the French team was most Gauls (even if Arabs and Africans had lived in France for generations); and the USA team was mainly Anglo-Saxons. Same for everybody else.

This is why football became so big, for that tight association between the sport and "race." Football was, by far, the most tribal of sports. That made it awesome, since a match between your country and your neighbor was basically an ersatz war to prove racial supremacy.

But times have changed. Now, what made football so attractive, has become a ticking time bomb. As we're reminded by the ultranationalistic crowds we see at international matches from time to time. Tribalism is like a nuke in an integrated world, where people travel all the time and have kids here and there, with diverse possible nationalities.

So nationalities have become diluted in real life. And, by extension, they are becoming diluted on the football field. Which is, at best, a mixed blessing.

4. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Two recent switches of the controversial kind:

Izet Hajrovic (Switzerland → Bosnia-Herzegovina)
    Hajrovic was born in Switzerland and played for the Swiss Youth National Teams. He also has one senior appearance in a friendly against Tunisia. He openly declared that he was going to play for Switzerland which caused Manchester City's Edin Dzeko to attack him via twitter (together with Haris Seferovic who's still with Switzerland). After not being called since the Tunisia friendly at the end of 2012 he did a full 180 and filed a one-time switch. I suppose his brother Sead Hajrovic also switching to Bosnia played a role. After playing a great season for Grasshoppers I am personally quite disappointed and put part of the blame on Ottmar Hitzfeld.

Aron Johannsson (Iceland → USA)
    Johannsson was born in the USA to Icelandic parents and left the country before the age of three back to Iceland. He has represented the Iceland Youth National Teams and never lived in the USA again. Now that Iceland's qualification hopes are quickly fading he has filed a one-time switch, causing the president of the Icelandic FA to speak out openly against it:

Hajrovic and Johannsson both could have met on the field in a friendly on Wednesday but Hajrovic's switch wasn't approved in time.

5. 007GS

007GS Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Japan made big changes to their football structure 20 years ago and it is now paying off. It's nothing to do with luck, so expect to see plenty more Japanese talent in the years and decades to come.

6. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Per Johannsson: "I went back when I was 17 for high school [at the IMG Academy] in Bradenton, Fla. It was one of the best years of my life and I can't wait to go back occasionally, hopefully to get some minutes with the national team."

Wikipedia: "Jóhannsson started his youth career at his local club, Fjölnir, in Reykjavik, Iceland. In 2005, he moved to Breiðablik for one season, heading back to Fjölnir the following year. He then spent the 2007–08 school year playing in the U.S. Soccer Development Academy for the IMG Academy squad based in Bradenton, Florida.[4]Where he was coached by coach Tom Durkin."

So not exactly zero input from US Soccer.

7. puertorricane

puertorricane Red Card

Feb 4, 2012
    Carolina PR
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    When I say luck I mean a golden generation that comes along once in a while at the same time. Kind of like spain is having right now, they always produced great players but they were lucky to have xavi, iniesta, villa, puyol, pique all at the same time to make a great run. They will keep producing great players but nothing like they just had.
    Japan is a good football nation but they need some luck like any football nation not named brasil to have talents come along at the same time.

[]__[]

8. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    First of all, can we please stick to the topic of the thread title?
    You are right, I missed that additional year that he spent in Bradenton. Nevertheless, I think most would agree that Johannsson is more Icelandic than American and it's cases like these that put a critical spotlight on the switching rule. The fact that Iceland has a much smaller pool of players adds to the controversy. This is clearly a move by the player to further his career.

9. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    The latest from Switzerland:

Outgoing (17)
    *Ivan Rakitic (Switzerland → Croatia)
    *Kerim Frei (Switzerland → Turkey)
    *Zdravko Kuzmanovic (Switzerland → Serbia)
    *Izet Hajrovic (Switzerland → Bosnia-Herzegovina)
    Sead Hajrovic (Switzerland → Bosnia-Herzegovina)
    Heinz Barmettler (Switzerland → Dominican Republic)
    Frank Feltscher (Switzerland → Venezuela)
    Rolf Feltscher (Switzerland → Venezuela)
    Yassin Mikari (Switzerland → Tunisia)
    Kim Jaggy (Switzerland → Haiti)
    Thierno Bah (Switzerland → Guinea)
    Vullnet Basha (Switzerland → Albania)
    Amir Abrashi (Switzerland → Albania)
    Taulant Xhaka (Switzerland → Albania)
    Toko Nzuzi (Switzerland → DR Congo)
    Charyl Chappuis (Switzerland → Thailand)
    Guilherme Afonso (Switzerland → Angola)

Incoming (1)
    Eldin Jakupovic (Bosnia-Herzegovina → Switzerland)

*of the controversial kind. At least at the time of the switch.

I'm not against the rule per se, there are cases where it makes sense. At the same time I am tired of developing players for other associations. The Swiss FA has stated a youth player costs about USD 20K per year in the system. At the very least the "poaching" association should have to pay a token amount for the development cost incurred. Looking at our list (and I am missing at least four or five in the outgoing category) we certainly don't seem to benefit from the rule. The ratio is not even close. There is even a former U-17 world cup champion in there (Chappuis).

soccersubjectively repped this.
  10. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    #60 Rickdog, Aug 17, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
    And how much should the Swiss FA pay to other nations for using their genetical material whenever a player from a diferent origin succeeds in its system, and afterwards ends playing for their NT ?

After all, even if they were born in Switzerland, it wasn`t a 100 % Swiss genetic material the one that made it possible, but a foreign one. (the real concern for Switzerland shouldn't be how many players are lost to this situation, but their incappability to produce players of a 100 % Swiss origin, at the same rate as those with links to other countries and places, and why they end up choosing the other country instead of playing for Switzerland)
    :p

11. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Three things about FIFA's policy on switching nationality.

1) It's overwhelmingly in favor of the players.
    2) It more often favors small countries over big countries. For the most part, it's the large countries that have many more youth players then can possibly be used in their national team.
    3) Countries with particularly restrictive nationality laws like Switzerland will have it tougher.

12. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Seriously, Rickdog, I expected something better from you. :thumbsdown:

13. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Please explain, in order to understand your post.

In my case, what I see is someone mad because, his nations system incurs in costs for the development of players, but forgets the fact that those players have never felt Switzerland as their natural home, reasons why at the end, they decide to play for whom they believe identifies them much better. Next, he forgets the fact that those players also spent a very long time of their lives, and the cost of whatever their families had to spend (without any help from the Swiss FA in order to achieve their excellence in the swiss system, whom also happens to use those players for their own benefit, and also forgets that with them, they recently earned a WC at the youth level, which gives Switzerland a lot of prestige.

When someone starts asking for money in return for the cost incurred on the development of those players, not only devalues its own system, but it also devalues whatever they have achieved with them, as at the end, for them, all it means is that everything is reduced to the most simple thing, which is money. As you want to to put the issue at the level of the most simplest thing, well lets just talk about simplicity, and lets not even talk about people or players, as they are lots more complex and as people or whatever they are, don`t become important. So lets just refer to them as the most simplest thing, which are their genes (which are, what I used in my past post).

For me, the Swiss FA, is in debt with those players and their nations of origin, so before starting to ask others to pay them for whatever they invested in them, they must first, pay to those players and their families or nations, the cost that they individually had to spend in order to see their offspring succeed, and give back to them whatever they achieved with them, in that same process, as it only meant money for them and nothing else ......

Besides as I also said at the end of my past post, the Swiss FA, should first try to find the reasons why those players afterwards decide to play for others instead of them, as there sure is a very big reason, of their suposed lack of loyalty to the FA, that suposedly "gave them everything". (something is sure missing here)

;)

14. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It's the stuff about "nation x genetic material", which is ridiculous. A person is a person, they don't naturally "belong" to a nation just because their ancestors lived there. Saying they aren't Swiss because of their "genetic material" is the definition of racism!
    In most cases people have ancestors from different countries anyway.

Well, it's not like I agree with SwissGCZ, because it's just normal that most of the youth players they support won't make it to the senior team for a variety of reasons. So I don't support the "players should return the money" thing.
    However you don't know what players thought of what place as their home. There is no such thing as a "natural home", it's different from person to person.

The reasons are obivously something personal for each player and they can be something trivial like seeing better chances to become a national player for nation A than for nation B or something really complex. Of course a cause could also be that they don't feel very welcomed in Switzerland. If Swiss people were to think like you then I guess it would be to expected, considering these players don't have "100% Swiss genetic material". :rolleyes:

15. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    #65 Rickdog, Aug 19, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
    Of course it has relationship to racism. (post edited, as it is not 100 % about it)
    Although I never implied that they are not Swiss, based on their genetic material. The expression of genetics don't imply any nationality, as it is the most basic issue of any living thing.
    But in the correct form of talking about racism. To deny the existence of multiple razes among human beings, it is to deny the human beings as what they are and about its natural diferences.
    In this case no one is saying that one raze is better than the other. But, there is something in it, that the Swiss system can`t provide for itself, so they get it from elsewhere.

Exactly.
    Reasons why I tried to explain that if we are to talk about simple things, then we must limit our conversation to simple aspects, as if we start talking about people, then the issue gets as complex as the complexity of what people are.

Once again, we think similarly here.

16. thewitness

thewitness Member

Melbourne Victory, Derby County
    Australia
    Jul 10, 2013
    Club:
    Derby County FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Australia kept having this same problem developing players for them to then go on and represent other nations. Joey Didilica, Ante Seric & Josip Simunic (Croatia), Tony Dorigo (England), Ivan Ergic & Sasa Ilic-the goalkeeper (Serbia) and its debatable whether to include Christian Vieri (Italy) in that list because all though he played his junior club football in Australia he didn't have much to do with the national Youth set up.
    Anyway after getting sick of this the Australia Institute of Sport now makes all the youth players sign contracts that state that they will repay the full costs of their scholarships if they go on to represent another country. Although this still hasn't stopped Aussie players switching countries with Milos Degenek (Serbia), Apostolos Giannou (Greece), Ersan Gulum (Turkey). Although these guys are still a chance of coming back to the Australian Set-up as they are all yet to play full internationals for their new countries.
    I don't mind players switching nationalities especially when its just not a fast tracked visa nationality switch. But i do think that the country they are leaving deserve some compensation for the money they invested into these players.

17. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    #67 Nico Limmat, Aug 20, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
    Small(er) associations certainly do benefit from players who can't cut it at the initial national team, but I would say for truly gifted players the larger association has the edge. A lot of times it's simply career planning as in Johannson's case. On the entire Swiss list that I posted only a handful was really controverial - but those tend to hurt even more. I have no problem with a player like Amir Abrashi approaching Ottmar Hitzfeld and then deciding to switch to Albania after finding out he's not in the picture. At the same time I'm not very fond of providing several players to a direct WCQ opponent. As for your last point I agree, as long as countries hand out citizenships simply because someone is born within domestic borders those associations will have a significant advantage in recruiting players.

I'm not interested in discussing cultural affiliations or even genetics. Guiseppe Rossi's - to use a popular Bigsoccer example - don't bother me. As long as you don't waste our FA's resources play for whoever you want. To use the Australian example above, we too make players sign a document but it's not something that can really be legally enforced. I take it's the same in Australia? More of a "gentlemen's agreement" really.
    My understanding of the rule is that once you have played offical "non-friendly" matches in the youth setup and then file a "one-time switch" with FIFA you can't return.

18. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I don't think you should disparage jus soli since jus sanguinis is much more easily abused. With jus soli, at least there is the presupposition that someone born in a country is 99% likely to be raised there. Indeed, I can only think of Aron Johannsson as a case where jus soli was the sole cause. Most of the time it's jus sanguinis applied on children or even grandchildren born and raised in a different country. Switzerland is an exceptional case in that they only extend jus sanguinis to the first generation and even that is restricted quite a bit.

19. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Any player who is up to 21 years of age, can file the one time switch through FIFA, no matter at what youth level he has played for a NT.

If the player has played partially or a full game at "A" international level (adults), despite being less than 21 years old, he loses its right to switch Associations. In other words, as long as he has only played at youth levels (no matter if it was friendly or official games), he can file the switch through FIFA, which has to be accepted by FIFA and during the procedure, he can`t play for any NT.
    Once switched to another association, can`t switch again (to a new association or to his former one, as well).

20. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    The 21 year age limit has been thrown out, you can now do a "one-time switch" at any age. And a full game at "A" international level isn't enough, it has to be a non-friendly in a FIFA sanctioned competition including qualifiers to restrict a player from switching. Take Hajrovic for example, he had one senior friendly for Switzerland. In fact, friendlies never require paperwork to switch teams. In theory you could have the following situation:

- U-16 friendly for Nation A
    - U-17 friendly for Nation B (no switch paperwork)
    - U-21 qualifiers for Nation A (no switch paperwork)
    - Senior "A Team" friendly for Nation A
    - Senior qualifier for Nation B (this is where the "one-time" switch is required)

Over the years FIFA has really relegated the status of "A Team" friendlies, be it because they don't cap-tie a player to an association, their increased frequency, or the endless substitutions. I certainly no longer look forward to "A" friendlies the same way I used to.

As for motivating players to stick to their initial pick, maybe suspension from international football for a certain period during the switch would do the trick. If you have to wait 1-2 years to represent your new national team it would certainly weed out some of "career planning" cases.

BostonRed repped this.
  21. backpackpenguin

Jul 8, 2007
    New York, NY
    The strictness of citizenship laws has only a loose effect on acquiring good dual national players. The United States only extends jus sanguinis to the first generation as well, so this isn't some sort of huge advantage for the US, as compared to some European countries which have very loose jus sanguinis laws. There are two big differences between the United States and Switzerland:

1. The United States maintains an enormous permanent military presence in the country that happens to be one of the top couple of producers of talent in the world. Switzerland does not.
    2. The United States is in a confederation where their national team can make the World Cup in any given cycle. Switzerland is not.

If not for their military presence in Germany, the US would not have gotten any of the German-born children of service members. If not for their consistent presence in the World Cup, the US would not have gotten Aron Johannsson and there's a possibility they might not have gotten Mix Diskerud either, though the latter is disputable. Almost every single one of the US national team's recent acquisitions of players raised abroad can be directly attributed to those two historical and geographic accidents. Citizenship laws are at most loosely related.

Disclaimer: This isn't meant to be an endorsement or criticism of players playing for countries in which they were not raised, or of the countries that benefit from it. I just find it interesting that so much of where a player plays has very little to do with simple citizenship policies.

22. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    #72 Rickdog, Aug 23, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
    When he played the last 7 minutes of that friendly game against Tunisia, for Switzerland, as he came in as a late substitution, he was still 21 years old, so the 21 year old age limit, still stands (only that now, it seems that FIFA, extended all through the 21st year of age of the player, the lapse-time for making the switch).

......Oh yes, you are completely right though, in relation to the type of match, it must be a non-friendly FIFA sanctioned competition match, in order to lose the possibility to switch between NT's.

23. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    this makes no sense at all.......

24. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    #74 Rickdog, Aug 23, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
    Of course it doesn`t.
    It`s almost like one FA asking for money to another FA, for the suposed money invested in the development of players (which was the reason, I posted it, with a funny smiley at the end of it), when actually if anyone really made a very big investment in the development of them, it was the same players, with their time, their families money, personal sacrifices and with a big part of their life (how can you actually give this issue a price ?, unless we start talking about slavery, where this price can be zero (o)).

For the purposes of marketing of the players, even if one player switches from one NT to another new one, they keep on belonging to the club where they were formed and developed (not to the FA were they are associated to), only with a new nationality. And for future trades of that player the club where he developed himself will always get its percentage of transactions, due to precisely this issue.
    ;)

25. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    the problem is that some countries national setups like Australia and Switzerland do invest a significant amount of money into youth players (much like clubs) and while clubs get rewarded when their youth players go elsewhere the NT does not...so why shouldn't these countries get some sort of compensation for money put in?

brentgoulet repped this.