Player / coach quotes. Who said what?

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Roblar, Dec 19, 2005.

1. Roblar

Roblar Member

Sep 15, 2000
    The 73072
    I just spent a few minutes trying to track down the actual quotes that have been published so far. I actually haven't come up with much yet, but I figured that others will be able to add to this. Anyway, here is the summary (person by person). Please add to this if you know of any more.

Kinnear
    From: Seismic shift: Quakes to Houston; Tom FitzGerald, Friday, December 16, 2005

...Reached in Houston Thursday night, coach Dominick Kinnear said he was "sad and disappointed'' to be leaving the Bay Area. "The last vie[sic] years we've been the most successful team in the Bay Area,'' the Fremont native said. "For me, it's sad because the team has done so well and we have such great fans. We've had a great rivalry with L.A. Now it's taken away.''

Doyle
    From: Seismic shift: Quakes leaving S.J.; TEAM OFF TO HOUSTON; NEW CLUB TARGETED; By David Pollak, Mercury News, December 16th, 2005

For Doyle, the first player introduced by the team in 1995 and the only member of its hall of fame, there was no relief that the uncertainty about next season had ended. ``I'd rather deal with the uncertainty and keep the team here,'' said Doyle, who praised the city's fan base but criticized its elected officials for not taking seriously the need for a new stadium. ``I do believe that San Jose has had 10 years to come up with a plan to keep the team here, but it never did.''

Waibel
    From: Seismic shift: Quakes to Houston; Tom FitzGerald, Friday, December 16, 2005

"They've basically traded all of us and got nothing for the city in return,'' defender Craig Waibel said.

Mullan

"I'm very sad things didn't work out,'' midfielder Brian Mullan said. "I had nothing but fun and good things to say about the Bay Area since I got here. I hate to pick up and move. It's a great place for soccer.'' (His wife, Kersten, teaches English and coaches the girls' soccer team at Andrew Hill High School in San Jose. While Brian goes to Houston, Kersten will stay in the Bay Area with their 8 1/2-month-old son, Brady, for the rest of the school year.) "She's not too happy about this,'' Mullan said. "She loves her job and her kids. I don't anticipate her moving out with me till June.''

Ching
    From: Houston , We Have a Problem; Andrea Canales, Updated: Dec. 18, 2005

"I think [the owners] believe there's a better chance of getting a stadium deal in Houston," Ching said. "I don't see much else as a positive, unfortunately. We've got to somehow get situated, and try to make a home there. I'm just going to have to give it my best and try to deal with it."

"It's going to be really tough on the families - very traumatic for them," observed Ching. "That's going to a tremendous distraction for the players on the field. I don't know how much that's going to affect things, but I foresee it being pretty big issue."

"I love San Jose," declared Ching unequivocally. "I love the fans there. I think they deserve a soccer team there." If that comes to fruition, Ching would like to return. He doesn't believe he's the only one who has left his heart back in the Bay Area. "If San Jose does get an expansion team in 2007, I think the majority of our team would probably want to go back there."

Onstad
    From: Houston welcomes MLS franchise; By Jim Carley, December 16th, 2005

Coach Dominic Kinnear and the two players he brought to the press conference, 2005 Goalkeeper of the Year Pat Onstad and team captain Wade Barrett, didn't seem to mind the cold weather. "I'm from Canada," Onstad said. "Thanks for the weather today. I feel right at home."

That's all I have for now. I'll look back at this thread from time to time, and if we get a bunch of new quotes, I'll post a summary either at the end of this thread - or in a new one (especially if there is too much thread-jacking / trolling).

If possible, I'd like to know where the quotes came from, so please either link to the article or give the article title, author, date, etcetera.

Thanks in advance.

2. JMichaels

JMichaels New Member

Feb 17, 2003
    Wow. That's great kudos for Houston from Pat.

Just wait until May, Pat.

Roblar, thanks for the quotes...great job. Keep it up, the work that is.

3. cristoforo7

cristoforo7 New Member

May 14, 2003
    Nice thread.

In this article, http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3531341.html , Wade Barrett is paraphrased (not quoted) as follows:

Obviously, one can question this sentence to some extent (especially the "embrace" part), since it is not a direct quote and we don't know the full context.

Ching's quotes certainly don't indicate much in the way of players "embracing" the move.

4. JMichaels

JMichaels New Member

Feb 17, 2003
    Could relate to Pat's comment about the cold weather.

5. Roblar

Roblar Member

Sep 15, 2000
    The 73072
    Thanks guys. I'm surprised that I haven't found more. I guess I'll have to go look at the MLSnet site sometime soon - I've kind of been avoiding that for now.

If anyone else has quotes (or paraphrases or first-hand stories) please keep them coming.

6. Roblar

Roblar Member

Sep 15, 2000
    The 73072
    Addition.
    Tim Hanley
    Has a great post right here .

A highlight:

7. Roblar

Roblar Member

Sep 15, 2000
    The 73072
    Beckham7 pulled this one up on a different thread.

Onstad

Several players said they felt bad for the team's fans. "A large part of me will feel sorry for the fans; they've been so supportive and backed us win or lose,'' Onstad said. ``Certainly, if we win one next year, it will be San Jose's championship as much as Houston's.''

From: Seismic shift: Quakes leaving S.J.; TEAM OFF TO HOUSTON; NEW CLUB TARGETED, David Pollak

8. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    It also appears to be a grammatically tortured sentence. I know what it's supposed to mean but I can't make it work grammatically.

I think the players are probably going to try to be polite and say reasonably nice things when they are interviewed by the Houston area media.

And check this out:

"To some extext"? "Probably"?

9. UrawaRed

UrawaRed New Member

Dec 19, 2000
    Kiyose, Tokyo
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    We don't call him Lie-weakly/Lie-weekly for nothing.

10. Roblar

Roblar Member

Sep 15, 2000
    The 73072
    Doing some more digging and not finding much. Probably good politics for former SJE players.

Quakes05 posted a summary of a conversation with DeRo here .

so... not really a quote, but it's close enough for now.

DeRosario

11. Roblar

Roblar Member

Sep 15, 2000
    The 73072
    Some new quotes. All from
    From: Ex-Quakes eager to make move; Players ready to start fresh, although transition will be tough; By BERNARDO FALLAS
    December 20th

Given that it is a Houston paper, the tone is not quite what we may want to see, but I'm going to give them all the benefit of the doubt and assume that they are just being diplomatic/professional.

Barrett

"In essence it's something every MLS player has to deal with, the uncertainty that you might be in a new place," said Barrett, who has called San Jose home since 1998. "Because there's always the possibility of getting traded. "In this instance, it's like the whole group has been traded."

"I know it's going to be a tough adjustment," said Barrett, the team's captain last year. "The guys are going to have to move their families pretty quickly."

Onstad

"We're very happy to be here," said Onstad, who joked that the cold that morning reminded him of his home in Canada. "I spent three seasons (in San Jose), three of the most memorable in my career. San Jose will be sorely missed, but we're excited about our fresh start here."

Kinnear

"The emotion is 100 percent clear that the team coming from San Jose to Houston is a very good team," Kinnear said. "We're very excited to come to this market. We understand the opportunities and the challenge that we have before us on and off the field."

...I only wish that Dom hadn't been so diplomatic. Then again, he may have prefaced this with a "Really tough to leave SJ."-comment which the paper edited out (not going to sell more papers in TX that way). And like I said - I'm going to continue to give them all the benefit of the doubt. They're in a tough spot too.

12. UrawaRed

UrawaRed New Member

Dec 19, 2000
    Kiyose, Tokyo
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    They're not going to give frank quotes for journalistic consumption.

13. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The guys are in a tough spot. They have to make nice with the local journalists and fans. And as professionals, I'm sure that they mean it. At the same time, I'm sure they are bummed. They've come to expect rabid fans in the stands. I'm sure that they recognize many people at Spartan. This is going to be very different in Houston.

I hope that they do well. Really I do.

But I won't be paying for DirectKick, so I'm not going to watch.

QUAKES FOREVER!!

- Mark

14. BluByU

BluByU Member

Aug 25, 2004
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tim Hanley reminded us in another thread that the players work for MLS and the coaches work for AEG. Not a surprise that they are diplomatic and professional, as well. We may never hear it all unless one of them retires and writes a book!

15. BluByU

BluByU Member

Aug 25, 2004
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, players get traded all the time. This group goes to Houston together, with their coaching staff. That has to make this easier for them all.

16. JMichaels

JMichaels New Member

Feb 17, 2003
    I wonder if any of them would pull a "Phil Jackson."

17. Roblar

Roblar Member

Sep 15, 2000
    The 73072
    Beckham7 just pointed me to some quotes in a Soccer365 article.

All quotes from:
    No more shaking Going On; By Richard Snowden, December 21st

Kinnear (already appeared in the Chronicle - see post #1)

"For me, it's sad because the team has done so well and we have such great fans," Earthquakes coach Dominic Kinnear, a Bay Area native, told the San Francisco Chronicle. "We've had a great rivalry with L.A. Now it's taken away."

Mullan

"I'm very sad things didn't work out," Mullan said. "I had nothing but fun and good things to say about the Bay Area since I got here. I hate to pick up and move. It's a great place for soccer."

18. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    What would Pat say?

Well Onstad was ready to give up on San Jose over a year ago.

From his goalkeeper's log, 8/24/04:

"Although it is supported fairly well, with attendance over 10,000, we just do not generate the revenue off the field that is necessary to maintain a successful franchise in this league.

I think the people at the rally understand this but are having a tough time coming to terms with the fact (as are the players) that we most likely will not be playing soccer here next year, which is a shame.

Playing in San Jose has been the highlight of my career. Not only is it a beautiful place to live but also the fans are always supportive and we truly are a close-knit team. It is funny how winning a championship always develops fond memories. We all hope that something positive will happen and I think that was why the rally was a little emotional for us. Many of the players, past and present, have homes and family in the Bay Area and know that moving will not be as simple as packing up some furniture and boxes and driving halfway across the country. We want to see professional soccer continue here not just next season but for many years to come. But at the same time we have to ask, at what cost?

Soccer in the USA is growing. MLS is growing with it, but MLS is a business and it needs to be profitable in order for it to continue to grow. Soccer specific stadiums are the way to make professional soccer work and we have to ask if that is possible in the Bay Area."

http://sanjose.earthquakes.mlsnet.c...ent_id=12537&vkey=news_sje&fext=.jsp&team=sje

Sounds like Andy Mead or Monster.

Inspirational stuff Pat. Thanks for the two garbage goals that ended our season, when another MLS Cup could've saved our hides.

19. sj_oldtimer

sj_oldtimer Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Clovis CA
    Re: What would Pat say?

Winning a championship this season would likely have not changed anything. The issues in San Jose go well beyond what happened on the field.

20. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I saw Craig Waibel today and spoke with him for a few minutes. I was able to tell him what a class act he has been in the community. He said he has to concentrate right now on winning his place back on the team - his knee is doing well, but the real test will be playing on it. We discussed the chances of getting a team here and he says he figures if it can be done quickly it has a chance, but if it drags past a year then chances really fade. I asked when the players have to be in Houston and he said at the end of January. As a joke (with some BigSoccer threads in mind),I said, well, at least your money will go further in Houston. He shook his head, laughed, and said, "If I were in it for the money, I wouldn't be playin' soccer!".

21. bluelightningdad

bluelightningdad New Member

Sep 29, 2003
    SJ Quake Area
    I can just see that big ol' grin on his face as he said that too. Well good luck to him winng back his spot. That's just how it works when you get injured, huh?

22. Roblar

Roblar Member

Sep 15, 2000
    The 73072
    Out in Americans Abroad-land, and I ran across a Califf quote here .

Califf

"It came down to where I couldn't wait any longer or I would lose the contract (offer)," he told Soccernet. "We've been hearing for the last two years - 'We're moving. No, we're staying.' - I certainly couldn't count on the fact that the (Quakes) were going to be (in San Jose). So I had to make a decision at that point without the knowledge."

It's interesting simply because of the implication that if the Quakes knew they would be staying, he might have chosen to stay.

23. Roblar

Roblar Member

Sep 15, 2000
    The 73072
    Some of these quotes appear in nearby threads, but I find it useful to have them all in one place. These Barrett and Waibel quotes come from MLSnet here .

Barrett "I think it's possible to be both disappointed and excited at the same time," said former Earthquakes and now Houston defender Wade Barrett. "We feel like the fans here at Spartan have been some of the best in the league over the last 10 years and have made San Jose a great place for us to play. At the same time, we understand that this is the direction that AEG has moved, and they've certainly invested in us and in the league enough that if this is the decision that they make, we will get behind it and be comfortable with it."

"The players would have liked it a little better or had understood it if there actually was a deal that was set," said Barrett.

"To be honest, I don't completely trust any of that information," said Barrett about the Earthquakes possible re-emergence in San Jose. "We've been hearing for two years that we're moving. Considering whether or not to come back (to San Jose) isn't anything I'm thinking about right now. It's enough to get uprooted and move; I don't have the time to think about what might happen down the road."

"It's hard to predict what will happen with these rivalries," said Barrett. "There was just something about it that brought out the best in both of us. It's good for the game, good for the fans. If we can maintain that with L.A. and grow something like that with Dallas, then all the better for the fans."

Waibel

"I think the big difference is the land in California. It is like trying to buy land in New York City," said defender Craig Waibel. "I think that's the problem (AEG) ran into. I want to believe that the ownership group pursued the stadium options during their time (in San Jose). I would expect that in three years time they truly believe they are going to get it done in Houston."

"I think this is the only year that you may talk to guys on this team where they say that a two-month preseason is appropriate. Every other year eight weeks is a bit much," he said. "It is going to take time for us to acclimate, accept the new structure and stadium. A lot depends on what happens with our coaching staff. The ship sails straight when (head coach) Dominic (Kinnear) is driving it."

24. Roblar

Roblar Member

Sep 15, 2000
    The 73072
    These quotes are from the Waibel-specific article on MLSnet.com .

Waibel

{While the disappointment of uprooting from the comfortable home that he has established in northern California is still evident...}"This is potentially a really good thing for me. Allowing me to focus solely on my soccer for a while is really fantastic," Waibel said.

"It's a hard move for me, personally, because I've been so active in this community. It has really felt like home," he said. "In that sense it is disappointing, but I know AEG is putting in the effort in Houston to make it home. I know it's a good community from my friends that grew up there. I don't think it will be that hard to transition the personal life."

{...it also could allow Waibel and his teammates the chance to immediately form a bond in the community through appearances and coaching.} "I think the players have to accept some of the responsibility of going in and doing the right thing," Waibel said.

{Waibel is one of the most experienced members of the Houston team. Perhaps it is that experience that has urged Waibel to look at the positives as he embarks on the next stage of his career.} "I'm leading the charge, I'm rallying the troops," he said enthusiastically. "I want people to get on board this train."

25. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

That's what really hurts - AEG did jack********** for this community while here (did Phil Anschitz or Tim Lieweakly ever set foot at Spartan?) but are now all gung-ho in Houston. I guess in retrospect, I'm rather surprised that the move wasn't made earlier. I do know for a fact that many bits of information I've heard point to an inescapable conclusion that AEG were committed to moving the team months before the announcement.

Right now, I hope that the Houston team will be playing on field turf in a college stadium forever, and that AEG aren't rewarded for their bad-faith with a new stadium.