Player Ages by Team

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by cpthomas, Apr 13, 2015.

1. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For fun and information, I did a run through of all the rosters (as best as I can figure them) to see the average age of each team's players:

WNY 24.0
    Boston 24.4
    Sky Blue 24.7
    Seattle 25.8
    Chicago 25.9
    Portland 26.0
    Washington 26.0
    Houston 26.1
    Kansas City 26.4

Compare to the average age of the USWNT 18-player roster for the recent New Zealand game: 27.85

2. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    Houston didn't want to have to wait for their young talent to develop.
    It's strange when an expansion team, or the newest team in the league is one of the oldest teams in player age.
    The Dash have made moves and acquired veterans, etc.

Morgan Brian (age 22), Kealia Ohai (age 23) and Stephanie Ochs (age 24) are really their only good young players.
    They should have kept Ari Romero. That was a dumb trade.

Masar is now older (29), and even Jessica McDonald is 27 (higher than their avg. age of 26.1).
    They also have Melissa Henderson at age 25, but she still hasn't shown much progression since college.

3. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Surprisingly I agree with you here. I would think most teams would want 5-6 core young players to build around and sadly the Dash have gotten rid of most of theirs.

But the Dash is not the most worrying team on this list. That belongs to Washington. While FCKC is old, at least they have the history of winning on their side so if they take a year or two to rebuild, I'm sure their fans will be OK with that. Washington on the other hand do not have that luxury. How many more years can they go with fielding average to below average teams before the fans say no more and decide not to turn up? What happens when Harris and Krieger retire (because let's be fair they are the ones that draws the fans)? Outside of Dunn who else is there?

As for Portland, the news that they may move away from relying on mercenaries was a good one. Let's see how that plays out in the future.

Seattle and Chicago are the surprising ones for me but for opposite reasons. I thought Seattle would be much olders than they are but are think most of their players just have more experience for their age.

Chicago on the other hand I thought would have been younger than that (Boxx may be skewing the average) because for the last two years I've been hearing they are a young team but this data proves otherwise.

SBFC is another team I thought would be older than that average but maybe it's because they are mostly boring and unassuming that's why I think they are older. There's usually a buzz around a young team that just seems to be missing from SBFC. Nadim and Ohara alone can't be the only exciting players on that team can they? Though Freels is becoming a favorite of mine.

And finally Boston and their never ending rebuilding. What is there to say about this team?

4. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I recall correctly, Waldrum concluded after the 2014 season that his roster was too young and he needed some players with more experience. Riley (Thorns) commented recently that a lot of his younger players from last year now are playing significantly better with the added year of experience. There are a whole bunch of teams in the range from 25.8 to 26.4 years, which isn't a big difference. They include all of last year's playoff teams (do I have that right?) and the two that played for the championship. What appear to be the two weakest teams this year -- WNY and Boston -- also are the youngest.

5. mamalia

mamalia Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Cincinnati OH US
    Red Stars 4 oldest players:
    Boxx - 37
    LeBlanc - 35
    Tancredi - 33
    Chalupny - 31
    That's going to have an impact on average age.

6. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's another fact to add to the mix: The average age of last year's NWSL "First XI" selected at the end of August 2014, as of the date of selection: 28.3 years old.

SiberianThunderT and holden repped this.
  7. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Wow! I never would have guessed that it'd be that high.

8. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me neither:

Naeher 26
    Fletcher 29
    Krieger 30
    Rampone 39
    Sauerbruun 29
    Boquette 26
    Fishlock 27
    Little 24
    Holiday 26
    Kawasumi 28
    Rodriguez 27

9. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    Ohai (age 23) is already on pace to be on that list this year.
    Which will get her called up to the USWNT later this year (unfortunately after the WWC).

https://vine.co/v/eBlvrpDxr5D

10. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's not get too excited yet. One also could make the case for others: e.g., Long (2 goals), Shim (goal and 2 assists). Not to speak of those who weren't goal scorers -- Winters, Zerboni, .... Those are the ones I notice since I'm a Thorns and U of Portland fan, and I'm sure there are players others notice. It's a long -- well, actually, not so long -- season. Let's see where we are when the dust settles in September.

I'll say, however, that I'm really impressed with McCall Zerboni. I know it's only from one game, so we'll have to see how future games pan out, but from my POV she was the POTM (well, maybe sharing it with Long) in the Thorns/Breakers game on Saturday.

11. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    I like Zerboni too, and would consider her for a call-up.
    In fact, here are the 25 players I would call up after the WWC, or after the Victory Tour, since the same 23 would be on the roster during a Victory Tour after the WWC. So at the very least, this is by early 2016, or possibly sooner.

F - Morgan, Press, Leroux, A-Rod, Horan
    MF - Rapinoe, Lloyd, Holiday, Heath, Brian, Ohai, Lavelle, Zerboni (can play DM), Dahlkemper (DM)
    D - Krieger, O'Hara, Dunn, Klingenberg, Johnston, Sauerbrunn, Engen, Roccaro
    GK - Solo, Harris, Naeher

This list excludes: Wambach, O'Reilly, Boxx, Rampone, Chalupny, and Van Buehler.

12. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would it be in bad form to throw out an "I told you so" about Zerbs? Now you guys better take really good care of her, because she is a gem.

13. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're basing a lot on two seasons of "history" with only speculation on how the Spirit are going to do this year and beyond. As for fan favorites, Huster and Nairn are in that category - especially Huster, who has a real chance of making the WNT in the next couple of years. Plus Church and Miller (and Nairn) grew up locally and already have a following. (Lohman, too, but she's probably retiring soon.)

In any case, averages are misleading - the Spirit are weighted old by their 5 30+ players (Lohman, del Rio, Weimer, Matheson, and Krieger). Drop them and they're now a sprightly 24.8. Of the five, only Matheson and Krieger would be significant losses in terms of appeal to longstanding Spirit fans.