Play-off format not working [R]

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by eejit, Oct 23, 2004.

1. eejit

eejit Member

Jun 10, 2004
    The play-offs are intended to generate an exciting conclusion to the MLS season. The best way to assess the excitement that they generate is by looking at attendance. 8,000 in Denver is pitiful, I excpect a similarly low figure in New England.

Watching the MLS is like watching one of those fireworks that keeps spluttering on, you keep watching hoping for a spectacular finish but instead it goes out as a damp squib with barely a pop.

Maybe only the top2 teams in each division should reach the playoffs (until the leagues are sufficiently expanded) to help make reaching the playoffs feel special and something that should be celebrated.

I know people will say that it is about money but looking at the below average crowds it would be more economically favourable for certain clubs not to be in the play-offs. MLS needs to do something to liven up the season finale IMO as last night was a bad advertisment for MLS.

2. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    Re: Play-off format not working

Nice to condemn the whole system after 1 game.

MLS is in transition as it expands and builds SSS. We just have to deal with it.

At least the games are televised this year. Until the football lines are gone and teams are in SSS, does MLS really want to advertise their product? I think a lot was lost in the early years from disappointing fans that now "know" better than to believe in MLS and might not give it a second look for some time. After everything is in line, then MLS should try to bring back the fans lost. No need to overhaul the whole system. Consistency in 8 teams making the playoffs is something of a positive rather than changing the whole system every few years. Playoff series, weird point systems - MLS has had enough changes. home-aways, then 2 levels of championship games. Pretty straight-forward for MLS. Might as well stick with it. What if COL was the second-seed? Then no playoffs in LA and I'm sure attendance wouldn't have been much better last night for a conference final. Everyone agrees too many teams make the playoffs - 8/10. But since MLS isn't even considering cutting it down, let's just focus on expansion as the solution. 8/16 would be on part with NBA/NHL. 8/24 would near NFL/MLB levels. Sure, I'd rather 4-6 teams be in the playoffs, but I don't want MLS changing the whole system year after year.

3. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One problem I see is that fans realize that the 1st game is not really a true match but more like the 1st half of an 180-minute long game.

While I think a single-elimination tournament would be best, if MLS doesn't want to go that way, what about making the 1st round series a modified Best of 3 series with no ties?

First game at lower seed. If tied after 90 minutes, it goes to PK's

Second game at higher seed. If tied after 90 minutes, it goes to PK's

Third game (if necessary): Played immediately after the second game at the higher seed. A 30-minute match with two 15-minute halves.

4. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    1st of all, too much emphasis on PK's. international standard of home-aways has taken hold. no reason to move away if it works everywhere else. will work in MLS better with increased popularity, give it time. no need to constantly change formats

2nd, no way. 2 matches in a row? Have you ever tried that? Either bench players determining the outcome or 20 guys stand on the field for an hour.

5. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, if you don't like PK's we could use the Shootout. That's fine with me. But in American sports, playoff games should have winners.

The only reason home-away is used so much in international soccer is that they're trying to balance out home-field advantage as much as possible in tournaments in which teams haven't truly earned their seeding.

First, the 3rd "match" is only 30 minutes long. Considering that teams used to play 10-minute overtimes in MLS, asking them to play 30 minutes isn't too demanding.

Second. Assuming it gets FIFA's OK, I'd let teams field whatever starting lineups they wished for the 3rd match, and the 3 sub rule would apply.

6. mswietek

mswietek Member

Aug 16, 2004
    Norwich, CT
    Why not just have best of 3 full matches where the higher seed get the home game for the first and last game? That way the higher seed's home field advantage means more. Means some extra travelling, and given the play off attendance, it may not be worth it.

Either that or just have one game and out. They played a whole season's worth of games, why bother with 3 game series at this point?

Michael

7. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    didn't read your 3rd match idea closely enough, but 30 minutes and then what PKs again?

I think most are glad to see overtime go away. PKs settling major events isn't popular either by the more involved fans. It's better for the game to have the same rules worldwide if reasonable. Americanizing the game with shootouts and the backwards clock failed. I think too many teams would play for draws every game and take their chances for PKs.

I think the playoff format IS working. But lets give it to at least the end of the first round before overhauling it again.

8. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The playoffs are working just fine. Already two higher seeded teams will have to work their tails off to advance. But they can have the potential advantage of their home fans behind them. So more "passion" than before.

9. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, the fact that this first game occurs on 1 week (or less) notice, makes it hard for people to plan ahead. At the same time, unlike other sports there isnt the huge buildup for the playoffs. Too few teams missing it, its more of a buildup not to miss them.

End result is that the first round of games are upon non-hardcore fans before they realize whats happening. A 1 weekend break after the season would probably help clubs actually promote the games effectively.

10. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    oh. sweet. lord.

11. KCWiz

KCWiz New Member

May 8, 2003
    Manhattan, Kansas

VW, I couldn't agree with you more. Winners are what makes games exciting. The old Shootout was awesome. More rep for you.

12. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    Sockpuppets ought not be transparent.

13. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    Good idea but would it cure already nonexistent marketing?

14. Mimir19

Mimir19 Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Buffalo, NY
    Not sure if this has ever come up, but the setup that MLS has in place will be very successful in years to come..

The two game face-off works when teams overcome crazy odds (San Jose last season) and advance in the second match.. Sure it may at times be ho-hum and appear to be useless.. But as soon as your side gets a chance to come from behind at home, the excitement will be apparent.. The fans just have to experience what can happen..

As for play-off attendance, be patient.. If memory serves me, the post-season is never really that consistent.. Attendance usually takes a dip for some reason.. This happens in many leagues (Bills v. Houston in football for example, wasn't even a sell-out.. Buffalonians had no chance to witness that come-back victory on TV)..

Amazing how everyone wants to bitch and moan still... MLS has taken amazing strides over the past 4 years.. They have really come far and started to make some advances in most markets (cept for N.E.).. But there are justifiable excuses for the dips..

What will you guys complain about in 20 years when we have 20 teams, sell-outs, and travelling supporters? The temperature of the beer? Gimme a break guys.. hehe

15. TheOtherBastard

TheOtherBastard New Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Akron, OH
    Why did it take us 20 years to get there?

:D

16. Wile Coyote

Wile Coyote Red Card

Sep 21, 2000
    Punta del Este, Uru.
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    The whole play off format should be reworked how do you justify 8 out of 10 teams soon to be 12 going to the play offs.. teams with under 500 records.. do you realy believe the NE Revolution DESERVE a play off spot this year???? come on kids this should be the top 4 teams go on to the play offs home and away and then winners go on to MLS cup... it gives the season some importance and makes the playoffs important as well.. but when 8 teams out of 10 have the chance to be champions I personally dont think "wow the playoffs" I personaly think "wow what a side show circus"

when a team with a losing record wins a championship what does that say about the whole season that just went by.........

17. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

THIS is solid reasoning as to why playoff attendances aren't as high. The current playoff system is fine, leave it the way it is.

18. nick

nick Member+

Nov 23, 1998
    Potomac Falls, Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem with attendance in the playoffs is that there is simply not enough time to sell tickets given the size of the fan base and the limited marketing budget.

Here's what I would do.

The playoff format should include the top 2 teams in each conference. They each play a home and home game series to determine the MLS Cup finalists. The first semi final is played 2 weeks after the end of the regular season, the following week, the second game and the MLS cup the third week.

Each team in MLS includes a ticket for the Conference Championship in their ticket package. If the team fails to make the Conference Championship that ticket is either refunded or credited to the next year.

This approach has several advantages.
    1. The regular season means more as only 4 teams advance.
    2. The one week break gives each team two weeks to prepare for the Conference Championship. This includes getting players heathly and selling tickets. The higher seed team in effect has 3 weeks to sell their game.
    3. Season Ticket holders automactially have tickets to the Conference Championship, thereby giving each game a strong base of fans.
    4. The MLS Cup remains a single game at a pre-determined site. Again selling tickets and preperations for the game can be made early.

If you were to apply this format to MLS for this season look at what you would very easily have.

First, 4 teams make the playoffs, Columbus and DC United in the East and KC and LA in the West.

No games would be played this weekend and the playoffs would open next week with Columbus at DC and KC at LA. Given two weeks to sell tickets, I got to believe DC would get over 20k perhaps more for their game. LA would probably also be a sell out at 27k. Then given another week to sell the game, I have to believe Columbus would be a sellout of 22k while KC would have 18k perhaps more if they really pushed. The final at the home depo center will also get a hefty crowd, probably another sellout of 27k

In this scenario I can easily see a playoff structure where the average for the playoffs is well over 20k per games and they would look totally different on TV and to the fans at the stadiums. In addition, these 5 games would represent a real money maker for the League.

19. greenbill

greenbill New Member

Apr 30, 2003
    York, PA
    Spot on. Hell, one week notice can be hard for even hardcore fans to plan.

20. christhestud

christhestud Member

Jun 4, 2004
    Great post. Good ideas. Although if KC pulled in 18k even with time to advertise I would be SHOCKED, the other predictions seem spot on.

21. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What, you don't think MPF is marketing?

22. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    People almost always complain about something like the Super Bowl having a one week layoff after the NFL playoffs are over to engage in hype-overkill. Why would MLS fans want to sit around an extra week? And I hear plenty of complaints about the NBA and NHL from their fans for dragging the playoffs out by giving too many extra days off because that's what TV wants. Most fans want to get right into it.

Baseball doesn't fool around, and the fans like that.

So I would go the other way. Concentrate it. After the final weekend, playoffs begin that Wednesday night and the first round finishes up on Sunday.

Next two weekends: Semifinals and MLS Cup.

23. greenbill

greenbill New Member

Apr 30, 2003
    York, PA
    Well, right now, MLS doesn't "fool around" and not many people are coming. When a MLB baseball team makes the playoffs, its easy for them to have a quick turnaround for the playoffs. There is tons of local media buzz, people talking about the team around the water cooler at work, etc, etc. MLB can rely on this because baseball is engrained in American culture. The teams are a historic part of the city in some places (Yankees, Red Sox, etc). Even people that aren't huge baseball fans will go to a game because they see it almost as a "cultural" event in the city. On the other hand, there are plenty of fans of MLS out there too and we know this because there are games during the season that sellout, or have over 20,000 attendance. But the "fanbase" of MLS and the view of soccer in American culture is different. There isn't the history, as much local media buzz, and probably none of the talking around the water cooler at work. MLS is in its growing phase. They need time to work to get word out and get people in the seats.

24. the cup

the cup Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Wise comments, I totally agree.

25. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As mentioned...people, uh, like baseball.