Place your bets for next coach

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by j1mbr0wn, Jul 7, 2009.

1. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, so Stover and Agoos are in Austria. Osorio is clearly out, hopefully the housecleaning doesn't stop there.

But it brings to question:

Who will be our next coach? Will Richie Williams still be around? Will he be interim coach when Osorio is cut? Or will the ax drop all the way through the coaching staff?

Once the dust settles, who would you want as our next coach and/or GM? Who would you trust to build us back to something respectable?

Preki? Mariner? Klinsmann? Beckenbauer? van Basten?

2. bukie2k

bukie2k Member

Mar 28, 2002
    New Jersey
    It will be a European, which will spell trouble for most of the current roster.

3. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I think you might be right. Which is why I listed some of the top Euro coaches that are not coaching right now (well, I added Beckenbauer just because.)

4. NYCfan

NYCfan New Member

Aug 25, 2006
    NYC, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lothar

Slowfoxs call on Peter Wilt as GM would be my pick. The guy knows his soccer and can and has really reached out to fans, perfect combo. Sign him and let him choose the new coach.

5. odsum5387

odsum5387 Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not so sure if they will automatically go for a European because both Arena and Osorio were partially selected for their knowledge of the American player and MLS. Unfortunately, it turned out that Osorio understood much less about MLS than previously thought.

If they go for a Euro, I imagine it would be someone who played in MLS or has been hanging around as a coach in the league for awhile.

6. CFCkm7

CFCkm7 New Member

Sep 26, 2005
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Steve Sampson. He's ready for a comeback.

7. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    Careful what you wish for. You may not like who i'd pick...in the theoretical world of your suggestion, i probably wouldn't choose a big name coach...probably wouldn't be anyone with international pedigree....may not even be someone with any or much coaching experience...it would be someone with knowledge of MLS. A hard working, smart, honest, well connected leader who would be committed to making Red Bulls fans proud of their team.

Theoretically....

8. CFCkm7

CFCkm7 New Member

Sep 26, 2005
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thats been our wet dream for the past 14 years

9. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sentiments i think the vast majority of connected NY fans would agree with, however i would also add that the new manager also be someone that can foster a strong team charecter, a natural leader (like Preki or Kinnear for example).

I think someone like Paul Mariner is a coach that should be at the top of any MLS sides shortlist for interviews.

10. bukie2k

bukie2k Member

Mar 28, 2002
    New Jersey
    I don't know how well someone with those qualities would fit into a brand first mentality like RedBull.

11. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    If Osorio is finished, Richie Williams deserves a second bite of the apple. That 1996 season where he took over for a fired Mo Johnston. He racked up a couple of strong victories for the club before Arena came in.

Save Richie for the job as the head coach.

12. NYCfan

NYCfan New Member

Aug 25, 2006
    NYC, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ask yourselves when was the last time Agoof came onto this board and spoke with fans.

13. NYCfan

NYCfan New Member

Aug 25, 2006
    NYC, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be a continuation of what his been done before though. Going from agoof/osorryo to agoof /williams is like shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic isn't it? This franchise needs a strong, able GM who can connect with the fans and the city in my opinion. Deadbull would be much better off signing the Chief (GM) in charge and allow him to hire the indians(coach/front office) as he sees fit. No slight to Chiefs and indians:rolleyes:.

14. NYCfan

NYCfan New Member

Aug 25, 2006
    NYC, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where do i sign?

Theoretically.

15. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No

He just said it probably would be Lothar. No one who has an ounce of knowledge of this franchise history wants that. Including the poster.

And I think you misunderestimate the saaviness of the fan base. Most of us want success and most of us have seen big and small names fail.

In fact, having someone heading the FO with a clue would be the most welcome change.

To boot :

Coaches who have had success elsewhere have failed with Metro.

However, every single person to occupied the GMs seat is either out of soccer or has failed everywhere else : Stillitano, Nick Sack/Guppy, Lalas, GrandPre, Agoos

Naming someone like you as a GM would be 90% of the battle

16. Fevernova99

Fevernova99 Member

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Its unlikely to be Lothar, Lothar was the co-coach of RBS and he got pissed off at something (i can't remember what) and got canned by the RB directors. I doubt they will invite him back again.

Logically it will be Richie just because he knows the players, but the transfer window is opening so a new coach can bring in some new players.

Ok thats assuming Stover and Agoos dont convince them to keep JCO to the end of the season...

17. stanleyt

stanleyt Member

Dec 7, 1998
    Harlem, USA
    What he said. Given Mr. Wilt's success with the Fire, one has to believe that he can get the coaching and player acquisitions bit right. Leave the venue management, ticket sales and sponsorship sales to Stover.

At the very least, the remaining fanbase would be pleased, and patient, knowing we had a successful and competent GM in place.

18. SlowFox

SlowFox Member

Aug 16, 1999
    Look, sports is a crapshoot. We've had Bob Bradley and Bruce Arena here, both of whom had marked success elsewhere and were going to be "sure-fire" winners. They both failed, to one degree or another, although it could be said that perhaps we made the mistake of believing they were the ones responsible for those past successes when in fact it might have been their GMs.

OTOH, the Rangers hired Glen Sather and he forgot to bring the Edmonton Oilers with him when he came East.

But in the end, all you can do is approach things in the manner that has proven to have the best chance of success and hope it works out. Hiring JCO because he has ties with players and leaving an inexperienced talent evaluator like Agoos in place reeks of laziness.

If a no-name coach does poorly then fans and the press will pile on, no doubt. If not then he'll be hailed as a "Bill Parcells", a heretofore undiscovered gem and testament to the practice of hiring unknowns, while the GM will become a genius. Who knows which way the coin will fall?

But if you hire a GM who you have reason to believe knows what he's doing and let him hire the coach then, at the end of the day, at least you can say management did the competent thing.

That's all we can ask of the FO.

19. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Marcelo, ha, ha, ha...

20. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, the fact that you posted a response here is interesting in it's own right. Theoretically.

I have no problem with an unknown coach. However, I would want that person to have some international connections as well as MLS connections. I don't think you can totally exclude understanding the international game, especially in the context of MLS style of play. I would think this would be important with the number of teams now competing for player contracts.

21. Toad_of_Toad_Hall

Toad_of_Toad_Hall New Member

Apr 17, 2006
    A state of confusion
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GIO is correct: Anklebiter in the interim at least. If he manages to restore some respectability by October, maybe he gets it permanently. If not, offer Marriner whatever it takes to pry him away from Nicol and NE.

22. Onionsack

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well i would argue strongly that Arena did in fact bring us success and had this team on track to good things in the future.

I would also argue that Bradley brought us more consitancy and success than any other manager we had and did do in a period where we had alnmost zero onwership support.

23. SlowFox

SlowFox Member

Aug 16, 1999
    You may be right, although I would disagree with you. There really is no way of knowing what would have happened had they not been fired.

Regardless, at the time, there were a signficant number of posters calling for each of them to be fired. My point was that coaches can easily either actually or in a perceived way fail to live up to their past successes.

24. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. We can all debate whether Bradley or Arena was the better coach here, but the bottom line is that both were heads above what we have now.

25. Onionsack

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. The Arena/Bradley debates are moot now...sadly as Arena is again transforming shit into repsectable football and Bradley is defying critics again by achieving success.