PL Matchday 12: Arsenal vs Burnley, 12/13, 2:15pm ET

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by DaPrince84, Dec 11, 2020.

1. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Willock is not at EPL level for a 10 - thats really the issue with the kids - they are not ready

it reveals the stupidity of leaving Ozil out of the squad

Laca is probably the best 10 we have - if you are playing more as a support striker than a midfielder

daedalus and ArsenalMetro repped this.
  2. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    As deep as he is dropping at times to pick up the ball, it’s clear his instructions aren’t just to play as a support striker. I’m not particularly fond of Ceballos in that role, but I think he’s probably a better option than Lacazette. He won’t provide a scoring threat, but his passing is better than Lacazette’s. He will create more chances.

Super Llama repped this.
  3. InTheSun

InTheSun Member+

Oct 20, 2005
    The Andes Mountains
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I saw Ceballos play at #10 with the Spain u23s a few times. He was dominant. Now, it might be that he's best suited for a #8 role, but I believe he can do a better job than Laca.

4. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Emery played him there and it never quite clicked, so Emery went back to rotating Ramsey and Ozil in that role.

daedalus repped this.
  5. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    absolutely agree on all the named players. except possibly for saka who, i believe, has slotted in there once and did well (as he appeared to have done everywhere last season). and seems to be able to slot in anywhere and still at least contribute.

that said, cool, you have no current 10, then don't play with a 10. trying to fit a square peg into a round hole is dumb. even more so when it's a veteran (tougher to adjust, let alone to one of the more intricate position on the pitch) out of form (when you just aren't in the right headspace to adapt).

6. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    arteta has also stated in an interview that he does not see him as a 10 but an 8.

7. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    If the intention is to play 4-3-3 then the 10 is truly a CM - like an 8.5 player. Ramsey would have been good for this. I could see Ceballos doing it, if we have a decent 6 & 8 combo. But at the moment we don't really have an 8 if Partey is seen as the 6. Willock is not yet at the level to play this role IMO.

Ozil was more a 4-2-3-1 style 10 where you have a double pivot - we are not playing that system

Of course the other style of 10, which is more the 90s/00's style is where the 10 is the support striker - like Bergkamp. I guess that is the idea. These kind of hybrids are back in style - see Müller at Bayern or Griezmann for France. The player is a bit like a 2nd striker, but drops into midfield.

Of course the issue is that Lacazette probably isn't good enough for that role.

8. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ramsey was never a ten

he was a mobile 8

the only ten since db was ozil

9. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    It has different meanings depending on system

e.g Ozil is a true attacking midfielder/playmaker

Bergkamp is more of a support striker from the 4-4-2 days

In the 4-3-3 the 10 is more of a true central midfielder - an 8.5 like Goretzka. I'd agree Ramsey is not a true 10 but he fulfilled the role of the central midfielder who gets forward into those spaces.

I mean you would not call peak Fabregas a 10 - he was known as an attacking midfielder, yet he was deadly in the D as an assister and goal scorer in his prime, before dropping deeper. It's exactly that kind of player we lack right now. Whether you call that player a '10' or not is kind of irrelevant.

10. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    That's why I genuinely wanted us to sign Weston McKennie this summer. He's a perfect fit in a 4-3-3, and he'd have been our only genuine aerial threat besides Gabriel.

daedalus and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  11. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    Luiz can barely organize a defense. This is too high of a bar Lol

12. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I guess cesc was a ten in the 4231 years and a 6 in the partnership with flamini

ah man, how I would love for us to play like that again

13. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I saw Cesc more as an 8/10 - he was always more of a genuine midfielder compared to say Ozil who is more of a forward

daedalus and thebigman repped this.