PL Matchday 12: Arsenal vs Burnley, 12/13, 2:15pm ET

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by DaPrince84, Dec 11, 2020.

1. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Definitively better?

Sam Allardyce.

Not a joke.

2. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I don't want to input any features that will make Pepe and Xhaka impactful players

3. FC RASTA

FC RASTA Member

Mar 28, 2005
    California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shocking right. Like the Capt on the Titanic when he was warned Abt the storm...he ignored it and the ship sank

4. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least the Crew won last night, amirite?

bigredfutbol and GunnerJacket repped this.
  5. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    I’ve said it before, the first mistake Arteta made was talking Xhaka into staying last January. I have never been a Xhaka fan, he’s to frigging slow with both his feet and his ball movement.

Arteta may be gone, but with the rest of the schedule this month there is no time for an incoming manager to make tactical changes.

The Jitty Slitter and Super Llama repped this.
  6. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I don’t think there’s any way Arteta actually gets sacked. But he should be

7. super gooner

super gooner Member

Arsenal
    England
    Sep 20, 2020
    Attitude of players amazing. Hundred per cent dominance. We had the moments. Playing with energy. Arteta, really??????

8. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Frankly I'm gonna go back to the locker room issue and the team's inability to offload rubbish. Put simply, the decision to not get rid of bad/ unwanted players because of finances meant the roster would still have too many weak-willed characters capable of the stupid errors we've seen, while also handicapping the team in terms of leadership value. No one on the team is holding players accountable for dumb s--- like we've now seen multiple players pull off. So long as there's no sense of pride in playing for Arsenal, or at least a sense that you can't get away with slack, then the dumb crap will infect the team on the pitch eventually.

There is a value in throwing out the trash, even if you don't get paid to do it.

9. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Good news, everyone.

Bellerin is out for the next game because of yellow card accumulation.

Not one, but TWO instances of addition by subtraction.

10. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    He should go back to playing. If Kia is his agent, Arsenal would probably give him a 3 year contract.

11. super gooner

super gooner Member

Arsenal
    England
    Sep 20, 2020
    I already posted that about Bellerin....

ArsenalMetro repped this.
  12. super gooner

super gooner Member

Arsenal
    England
    Sep 20, 2020
    It's even more worring when you hear his comments after the match

13. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then they’ll offer us £15m to make it permanent, we’ll turn it down asking for £25m. We’ll then loan him to them again next year, and let them keep him for free in summer of 2022.

Jamooky repped this.
  14. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    saka has been the one attacker we have who seem to be able to switch flank without losing effectiveness.

Super Llama repped this.
  15. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Somebody posted a video on Reddit (I only saw it when @DaPrince84 posted the Van Persie interview the other day) pining for the kind of off the ball movement on display in it. It was a really nicely worked goal.

And it involved Elneny and Coquelin.

It made me remember how, for all his other faults, Wenger could make even seemingly useless players create good chances. Arséne never did us like this.

16. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #241 NorthBank, Dec 13, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
    Actually I thought Arteta's post-match interview was about as good as could be expected.

He didn't try to sugar-coat much, kept his emotion in check, kept his answers short, stuck to facts (e.g. we can't find the net and we were dominating the match up until the point Xhaka lost his head), threw a player under the bus who deserved it, and took some managerial responsibility of his own (although maybe he needs to do this a bit more TBF)

The real question is what does he do going forward? How can he get his players to rise above this ditch we've dug ourselves into? Or in fact can he do this?

17. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    My bad, active thread today.

18. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One last thought for the time being...

We're probably going to get more TV time this month. E.g. we're the one they chose of 3 simultaneous matches Weds 1pm.

We're now drama... a car-crash that NBC is going to offer up to America their for rubber-necking pleasure.

19. Deep Wilcox

Deep Wilcox BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What did he say?

20. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Meanwhile Mkhi had another goal and another assist today.

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  21. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
  22. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    3? You think this gets fixed in 3 years?

daedalus repped this.
  23. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i am not defending xhaka THIS time (i promise). that was inexcusably dumb. it is the same as what pepe did - it may not have amounted to much but those specific motions are always going to get you red.

that said . . . how in the fuck is it okay for someone non-involved to just rush in and knock xhaka down like westwood did and referee just not even care?

super gooner, GunnerJacket and Tonerl repped this.
  24. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    https://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/mikel-arteta-arsenal-future-crisis-19451929

While my experience with Football London suggests it isn’t particularly reliable, they have made some interesting claims about Arteta losing the senior players. They say that Xhaka is unhappy with the way he is being used (to bad), that Luiz and Arteta aren’t speaking, that the decision to exclude Ozil and Sokratis from both the Premier League and Europa League rosters were never explained to the team, and that part of the reason Saliba is not getting a chance is that he was an Emery signing. The last one seems like nonsense, but when you look at the the current status of the signings during Emery’s tenure it begins to seem plausible. Torreira and Guendouzi are on loan, Sokratis isn’t registered on the roster, Pepe is in Arteta’s dog house, and per above Luiz and Arteta aren’t speaking. The only Emery signings consistently in the team are Leno and Tierney.

25. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was perhaps the highlight of the day.

Or lowlight.