PL Match Day 2: Arsenal @ Stoke City RFC; 26 August 2012

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Arsenalkid700, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    From sbnation, Arsenal-Stoke 0-0 "Worst game in the history of the sport"

http://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2012/8/27/3272153/stoke-city-vs-arsenal-was-awful

I think people have become too spoiled with all the great games Arsenal have played and expect the same every time out. Actually Mechie also raises the point that maybe it wud be best to end transfer window before the regular season begins. I think I agree with him.

2. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    a nod to calum mechie's obvious lack of football experience and great skill in lightweight journalism:
    "from lamb, calum mechie's article: worst article in the history of the sport"

3. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member+

Sep 19, 2002
    Maryland
    I don't know. The game was really boring. When he/she said this...

...he/she's was pretty much spot on, except I remembered Giroud's half field shot and didn't remember the purple uniforms.

4. gogunners14

gogunners14 Member+

Dec 6, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    It was dull as hell. If I was a neutral, I would have turned it off after 10 minutes.

5. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    Well, in fairness how many stoke vs. ??? have you (or any neutral) watched the full 90 for?

6. Copperhead

Copperhead Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be honest, Stoke looked flat themselves. I have watched Stoke in full before and usually I'm mildly entertained usually from the long throw ins and the havoc they can cause inside the box.

7. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    I've watched them play when they play against our enemies, but I've never watched them play the full 90 against teams like Norwich, QPR, etc. I can hardly even stand the MOTD version of their games....they play direct, but it's still Stoke.

8. Scally

Scally Member+

Aug 29, 2006
    Rep. of Ireland
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Wow, I remember plenty from it. The performances of Gibbs, Arteta and Giroud gave me great hope. Our new diciplined tactics while defending in open play and a coached set piece in attack.

Take RVP out of the equation for a second, this team looks better and more dependable in shape. Our attack was just as good as last season, we are still lacking directness and incisiveness around the 18.

The difference though, when you factor RVP back in, is that we wont have someone who is going to score a wonder goal from half nothing.

Our team already looks better after two games, we just dont have a world class striker

9. Arsenalkid700

Arsenalkid700 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You see, soccer is all about goals. There are two stats, the amount you score and the amount the other team scores. When it is 0-0 it is boring, 1-0 or 1-1 boring. 2-0 okay. 3-0 cool. 5-0 or 5-5 baseball.

10. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    i've seen much, much worse matches.

daedalus repped this.
  11. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    you see, a season is about the 38 league games and whatever number of cup games. you can, of course, look yourself in your room for the next two hours with sharp objects, as you mentioned earlier, after every loss or understand that it's about the long haul and where we stand in april or may. yeah, 0-0 draw right now is not an exciting result but the things that scally mentioned give us hope that the rest of the season can turn out in a positive manner.

if you think a low/no-scoring game is automatically "boring" then you have very limited understanding of, well, just about any sport.

12. Arsenalkid700

Arsenalkid700 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You see this is why I somewhat hate typing on a computer when talking to people, sarcasm or a joke are very hard to understand.

Seriously man, do you really think I consider both our 0-0 draws boring!?