PL Match Day 2: Arsenal @ Stoke City RFC; 26 August 2012

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Arsenalkid700, Aug 21, 2012.

1. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Ahead of Walcott/Gerv for sure and maybe Podolski. Play Podolski-Giroud-Deuce in games like these last two and Gerv ahead of Pod or Dempsey if you need a counterattacking option.

2. Scally

Scally Member+

Aug 29, 2006
    Rep. of Ireland
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    That was a clear strategy imo. We need more solidity at the back, how many times have we been caught for numbers on counters?? Jenks isnt half bad in the air either so he did an ok job of dealing with long clearances. He was allowed more freedom to push up in the last 15mins when we were getting desperate.

Im seeing a lot of subtle changes in shape in the first two games. Its all very encouraging

thebigman repped this.
  3. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    it's almost similar to, i think, 2-3 seasons ago? we were bleeding goals and, mid-way through the season, you could tell that the left and right backs were told to stay at home more and keep shape.

4. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just finished watching the match.
    I like the look of our defense so far this season. Gibbs seems to be progressing well. Even Jenks.

I liked what Podolski did for us on the left. Looks more at home out wide than through the center. That's supposed to be common knowledge though isn't it?

I'm not sure if Cazorla maybe ran out of spark in the second half or if Stoke did a better job crowding him out, but he was certainly less involved and you could see the difference in our play a little bit. He's very good. He's dripping with quality from every angle, every situation he finds himself in. They key for us and him will be to keep him buzzing and involved.

I like Giroud.

5. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm worried that the final 3rd, yet again turns into a stand-still with tons of passes and not enough movement. Stoke were beatable, but racing up the pitch and then stopping to let them regroup and park a bus of defenders in the 18yd box will not make it easier for us to score.

6. gunner0007

gunner0007 Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    Bahamas
    When we play Liverpool Cazorla will come alive. We haven't played a team yet who may attack or isn't about playing football. When that happens I think we will be much better.

7. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    We're too slow in attack - the timing in attack isn't there yet, and so the quick, incisive passing that Wenger loves doesn't exist right now.

8. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    The business part of the season will be over soon and we will better see what we have. Note how we haven't seen Cazorla and Walcott together yet.

I'm more worried about depth all over the place.

9. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    did you even watch the 1st game?

10. gogunners14

gogunners14 Member+

Dec 6, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Diaby can take some of that blame. The second he touches the ball I swear my tv goes into slow motion.

11. frednmethod

frednmethod Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The thing is though, I now fear that even the likes of Liverpool and Man City will play bunker against us, and surprise us on the counterattack. They've done it in seasons before with success from what I can remember.

12. K:thecore

K:thecore Member+

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Wouldn't that game plan be a waste of energy if a team already seems toothless? Im expecting all out attack by those guys.

13. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    No he can't. The ball moved through the middle third of the park extremely well. Its only when we got to the 18 where is slowed down. And even then he was the late runner making decent runs into the box. If you want to lay blame for the speed of our attack, its with the front three not knowing where the other 2 were going to be, and balls play behind the run.

You don't have to look fast to cover ground quickly. Carzola looks quick cause his legs pump, but Diaby eats ground. All game he did what the 3rd mid was there to do.

1) provide an outlet
    2) supply the play maker
    3) Win the ball back a little higher up the pitch than Arteta

I forsee him being an important part of the attack when the team is alittle more comfortable with each other.

Silva 5 repped this.
  14. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man Utd have ripped us to shreds in recent seasons doing that.

Catfish repped this.
  15. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These forwards will have a hard time scoring without good service. Our service game is $hit. Has been $hit for many years, although to be fair, Sagna had improved a lot last year. You can overlap wing runs all you want but without good swinging balls into the box, Poldy and Giroud will have trouble. At least over the short term.

wanye_stirrear repped this.
  16. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    mancini has always played defensive against us, relying on the outstanding qualities of their 2-3 attackers to counter. as silva said, united does the same thing.

17. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He didn't do so last season when we were away to them. City dominated that game.

18. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    am i misremembering? i thought they played with two defensive midfielders against us?

19. Copperhead

Copperhead Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last year, they usually played with two DMs in Yaya and Barry but Yaya has free reignto push forward when he likes.

20. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Wish I had a good vid of Jagielka to Fellaini assist of past weekend to insert here. The utube version sucks. We have a tall CF but who will hit him in the forehead with a missile like that one?

21. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Martin Keown excellent article about Carzorla in the DailyMail.

Arsene Wenger has seen a few creative players leave in the past year but he has a new jewel in the crown in Santi Cazorla.
    The Spaniard looks a fantastic talent and his class is there for everyone to see straight away.
    He is Liam Brady and Cesc Fabregas rolled into one: he has Brady's shooting ability and Fabregas's vision. He's better than Fabregas with the ball too - he moves it so quickly, which is shown by the fact he's had more touches in the opposition half than any player so far this season.

22. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's many instances where he simply looks a better player than Cesc.

That feeling means absolutely nothing however. We still know very little of him. Love him so far though.

23. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Man united always dominate us with wide play and last year valencia and welbeck fcuked us up at the emirates down their right.....at old Trafford they smashed us, poor jenkinson. Last year city beat us but they have changed to an awful wing back formation that isn't working. If they use that Walcott will merk them. Also they seem to be miss using yaya as a deeper mid, he was one of the best players in the league last year as an attacking mid with a free role.

24. CanStriker

CanStriker Member

Oct 6, 2010
    To be honest, it is the other way around.

25. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    I finally got around to finishing the game...boy, watching a 0-0 is tough when you know the result. I'm really pleased with the clean sheet, I think that will be more important going on than scoring goals. Goals tend to gloss over defensive frailties and NO, I repeat NO, team wins anything major without a solid defense. Clean sheets give defenses confidence just like goals give to offenses, so take these two clean sheets as a positive going up to Anfield.

As for the lack of goals so far, it's pretty clear that this team is just not "gelled" yet. Giroud made a lot of good runs, Podolski's positioning was good and Santi was keen on getting players through and keeping the defense in check with shots from distance.

Diaby just does nothing for me. He had a few good moves, but the game slows unbearably when he picks the ball up in midfield. He just seems to be concerned with beating his marker vs. finding the quick outlet to advance the ball. He also does not hustle much which is frustrating. Gervinho is doing the same on the wing...rather than making 1 move and then crossing or shooting he keeps cutting back and forth.

Unfortunately, we have to be patient with a new lineup once again. The excuses from AW have already started. They are valid, but he and management are the one's to blame so I'm tired of hearing it: