PL Match Day 2: Arsenal @ Stoke City RFC; 26 August 2012

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Arsenalkid700, Aug 21, 2012.

1. shinymetalbrass

shinymetalbrass Member+

Jan 22, 2012
    US
    Club:
    Club Santos Laguna
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Diaby gave the ball away way too often but im definately holding off judgement on him. The one thing that is clear though is that Ox should be starting

2. WoodDraw

WoodDraw Member+

May 29, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm looking forward to playing a team that has some desire to score a goal. Watching pulis run off smiling was nauseating.

3. MilesW

MilesW Member+

Aug 26, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, Gervinho needs to practice in a straight jacket or rolled up in half a rug or something. Guy is so floppy and flaily.

thebigman repped this.
  4. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Where are the mods to card and ban this glory supporting troll virgin? Dempsey is not a good enough player for a top 4 side

5. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    he was atrocious in the first half and improved to mediocre in the second (though i thought he started the second quite well). his passing was, per his usual standard, crap (did have one nice direct pass cazorla in the first half that didn't suck) and did the number of requisite running into blind alley to give the ball away (did have, i think, 2 nice receive-and-turn in the second half where he shielded the ball).

6. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Cazorla had Gervinho on his right. When are we going to see what Santi can do with Walcott? I guess the idea was to possess 70% of the time. We got our wish.

Podolzki, like others here have mentioned, gets on with it. I'd rather see more of that than see Podolzki gradually pulled down in to the habit of diddling with the ball which goes on far too often over on the left wing.

Surprising how good Giroud was in defence and mid. I think they are still trying to figure out how to position him best. Ongoing project.

7. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    this is true, he was definitely helpful there.

8. Copperhead

Copperhead Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arsenal won't be finishing top 4 at this rate. The team needs goals and no one is scoring goals. I don't care if it is 2 games in. Wenger should be wondering an get someone in this window. At least Dempsey has 29 goals in 2 seasons playing mainly on the left midfield area. My biggest reason for wanting him is he is cheap like Wenger likes them. There are other players I wish he would go for but they are too costly for him to even think about. At least, he is already on the radar with the club.

9. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Gerv was had a bad game, pretty much useless really. But I don't see any reason to hold off slagging Diaby. Basically, if we'd had a good player instead of Diaby, we'd have probably won the game.

I was watching the highlights of Dembele vs United yesterday. I don't think you could show that much good tape for Diaby if you went back to 2005 or whenever it was that he joined the club. People talk about how Diaby is injured all the time but beyond that is the unfortunate reality that he sucks when he's healthy anyway.

10. shinymetalbrass

shinymetalbrass Member+

Jan 22, 2012
    US
    Club:
    Club Santos Laguna
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    You guys are idiots for getting trolled.

11. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    uh, no. feel free to go look but i've been one of the few people to advocate buying dempsey in the last two years but right now? no. after buying cazorla, we have enough personnel for the front 4 slots that dempsey would not be the right add/use of funds. where we need an addition in midfield is either a defensive-minded midfielder to move arteta back to the pivot or a pivot (where sahin was meant to be and where wilshere will eventually be back to) to take diaby out of the equation. dempsey cannot fill either of those roles.

now, if walcott leaves? yeah, i can see validity in looking into dempsey once again. otherwise, there isn't really a point.

12. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I missed the first ten minutes so he may have been bad then, but I didnt see him give teh ball away much at all. In fact, I dont recall seeing anyone on Arsenal give the ball away that much.

I really feel some people had their minds made up before the match regarding Diaby. He was pretty good today in the 80 minutes I watched.

My only concern with him (outside of his health) is that he needs to shoot when in position, but thats true for everyone at Arsenal this season.

13. K:thecore

K:thecore Member+

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    nice the ignore function eliminates even quoted material.

make use of that

14. Copperhead

Copperhead Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A wild Jack Wilshere will appear soon hopefully. That's the main reason why Wenger didn't go after Sahin. Wenger said if he had wanted him then he would have got him.

15. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Boring, 2 games and we won't be top 4? dempsey scored for fulham, he is their main outlet. he wouldn't be ours and isn't good enough to fit our style of play!

WoodDraw repped this.
  16. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Without going into a long dissertation on Dempsey,
    I could see Dempsey as depth for Podolzki-Giroud,
    but the trolls need to leave us alone and go waterboard Jol til he agrees to sell.

The funny thing about these trolls is that not one of them can tell us what price Jol wants for Dempsey. All we hear from Jol is that Dempsey is not for sale.

17. scruggs45

scruggs45 Member

Jun 25, 2003
    kp, va
    In case you haven't noticed, Arsenal have plenty of players not good enough to be on a top 4 team.

I wouldn't worry about it though, I doubt any more players are brought in.

18. Boogie_Down

Boogie_Down Member+

Jul 7, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he was tired most of the game.

19. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i do feel like he had more give aways than i cared to see with mediocre but i cannot completely discount bias.
    i've never understood why he is so reluctant to shoot, he's got a terrific shot. i was encouraged in the first half of last game when he took a shot early but that seems to have been short lived.

20. Copperhead

Copperhead Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, 2 games regardless and you can't put the ball in the back of the net. Liverpool may win the next fixture as well. Yes he is, he is actually technical to as well but he doesn't play because there is a different role required of him at Fulham. He's had to adapt because he had to be more of a goalscorer for them. He has had to play at least 3 clearly different styles under Hughes, Hodgson and Jol. He has done well in all of them. Wenger's style of play isn't the Da Vinci code so you can get over yourself in that respect.

So you're saying 29 league goals in 2 league seasons isn't impressive because he was their main player? He was the main scorer but the team wasn't as wrapped around him as you think. He played on the left and would come inside. I would say the team is more around Dembele than Dempsey.

21. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    he was wasteful.. sorta spared me to death.. but he is what he is, not a superstar.

22. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Dembele has scored how many goals? Dempsey has played up front a lot and takes literally 20 shots a game....u obviously don't know much about arsenal if u think he can fit in here

23. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Why not just waterboard the trolls?

Buying Dempsey doesn't make sense for Arsenal. Period. He's too old (30), too expensive (10m+), and he's never played at anything resembling a top team. Here are the players that Wenger has signed that are over 10m:

Thierry Henry
    Sylvain Wiltord
    Jose Reyes
    Alex Hleb
    Nasri
    Arshavin
    Vermaelen
    Koscielny
    Arteta
    Mertesacker
    Ox
    Gervinho
    Podolski
    Giroud
    Cazorla

None of these players were nearly as old as Dempsey is when they signed, save for Arteta, and he's far better technically than Dempsey. Also, most of these guys had substantial Champions League/International experience, or had won some kind of league title prior to coming to Arsenal. Dempsey hasn't done any of these things.

Look, I don't think Dempsey's a bad player: far from it. But when you consider the price (10m), the fact that he has zero resale value, the fact that we have limited resources, and the fact that forwards start to slow down once they hit thirty, it doesn't make any sense to buy Dempsey - it's spending ten million pounds for someone who might be good for a year. And most of you guys realize it too.

If Dempsey was Norwegian or English, we wouldn't be having this conversation - you guys just want to see an American player at a top 4 club.

fari repped this.
  24. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    in the centre... lmao

thebigman repped this.
  25. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC